• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

WD has announced a new version of its My Book Studio external hard drive featuring USB 3.0 capability, which provides data transfer speeds up to three times faster than USB 2.0. Additionally, WD has added 4 TB capacity in a single-drive configuration making it an ideal solution for backing up large amounts of digital content.

WD My Book Studio External Hard Drive Now With USB 3.0 Connectivity for Mac Users

#2 Noli

Noli

• 25 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

Great, I wish there were more reviews of standard hard drives for domestic use on storagereview (like in the old days) rather than all this enterprise storage news. I guess there's hardly any new releases these days - things seem to have stagnated somewhat now that capacities are huge and SSDs have cornered the performance part of the market....

Would love to upgrade to 4TB drives. Problem is that most aren't even internal anymore! They seem to reserve the biggest drives for external enclosures. Must be higher margins or something.

With 4TB drives, there's the Hitachi and now a Seagate and WD too but, excepting the Hitachi somewhat (who I don't trust as much), they're so expensive. Hitachi is 188 or 47 per TB whereas a 3TB drive can be had for 103.50 (Seagate) which is 34.50 per TB so I'll just stick with 3TB for now.

Would be good to get hard drive enclosure reviews. I have an IcyBox 3.5" enclosure with SATA and USB connectors that can slide into a 5.25" dock in my desktop. This then gives it a SATA connection straight to the motherboard. If I pull it out, it's immediately portable, albeit with an external power supply. Brilliant - if my house is on fire, I can just yank and take all my personal data. So surprised no-one else makes/sells these any more but I'd pay good money for a decent enclosure that had this feature.

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

We have a ton of HDD reviews coming up, though all are enterprise. We'll also be expanding HDD array testing. If there's something you'd like to see on the client side, drop us a note through the contact form and we'll see if we can oblige.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users