• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xavis

xavis

• 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hi there,

I am looking to build up a NAS server (thinking about getting the QNAP TS-669 Pro), but I also need some disks. I was going for the 5K4000 4TB disks, but they seem to not be available anymore. Then, I was thinking about getting the 5K3000 3TB disks or, alternatively, in order to get more disk space, the 7K4000 4TB disks.
I would, of course, like as much disk space as possible, with the least noise, heat and power consumption.
Also, there is the issue of disk compatibility with QNAP's servers.

What do you think?

Thank you!
xavis

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Are you striking the WD Red from your list for some reason? They're duty built just for this need. I'd generally speaking though look at the 5K disks rather than 7K, the speed isn't going to get you much.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 xavis

xavis

• 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

No I was not deliberately trying to skip the WD's Red series.
I am aware that the extra speed from the 7K series is not going to get me much in terms of performance - and I would actually prefer a slower drive to keep down heat, noise and power consumption. It's just a shame that neither the Reds nor the 5Ks come as 4 TB drives..

#4 xavis

xavis

• 16 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

Should I worry about any incompatibility issues with the WD Red series and QNAP's NAS servers, since the drive is not on QNAP's official (nor unofficial) compatibility list?

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

QNAP was a launch partner for the Reds, I wonder why they wouldn't be listed. Anyway I wouldn't worry too much about it, but perhaps email support to be sure.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 xavis

xavis

• 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

I just double checked. It seems that I did not search thoroughly enough last time, as they are on the list.

Then I have to go home and order some disks, it seems :)
I live in the UK - do you guys know about some good websites to order from, or am I better off just doing a general search on google.co.uk?

#7 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 742 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

I'd ask http://geizhals.eu/. I'm only using it for Germany, but I suppose it'll work well for the UK :)

MrS

#8 xavis

xavis

• 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'd ask http://geizhals.eu/. I'm only using it for Germany, but I suppose it'll work well for the UK :)

They definitely do seem to have some good prices there - I am just a bit reluctant to order from any of their sites, as my German is not that good..

#9 xavis

xavis

• 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Before I order the disks, I just wanted to make sure that none of you had anything bad to say about http://www.lambda-tek.com/.

Please let me know if you think it is not a trustworthy site, or if you have anything else to say about it.

#10 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 742 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

You should be able to click on that UK flag in the top left corner to switch to english and only offer you UK shops. I don't know the shop you've linked, but I wouldn't order from any one which didn't get at least 100 ratings and which gets a score lower than.. about 1.5, maybe 2 as a hard limit.

MrS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users