Storage & Back Up Solution Advice

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 crutonix

crutonix

• 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'm a photographer who also does some video. I shoot an average of about 100GB/month or more. I'm working mostly with a MacBook Pro which has been fast enough most of the time but I may upgrade to the 13" or 15" Retina with SSD drives. I've got a 500GB SSD Hybrid for my main drive and a 750 additional internal drive which replaces my optical. I'm using Capture One, Photoshop and After Effects.

Looking into the easiest way to store and back up my work.

What I've been thinking of investing in so far:

Option 1:
8TB WD or G-Tech Thunderbolt drives set to 4TB Mirrored. When full I would change out the drives and use the same enclosure. It seems like the WD is easier to swap drives with and I hear they are finally using faster 7200 RPM Hitachi drives rather then their own WD drives. ($700-$800 for initial set up and then I would buy smaller (maybe even SSD) drives for certain jobs or continue with a new set of 4TB's if they go down in price)

Option 2:
Find a good dual drive enclosure for 2x 4TB drives. Possibly a Thunderbolt enclosure if one exists. Could anyone recommend a good enclosure if this is the way to go? I'd like something fast and easy to swap drives out.

Option 3.
A Dual Bay Docking Station such as the Thermaltake for about $60 and 2x 4TB internal drives. Concerned it would be rather slow. Does anybody know which docking station works best with Mac and supports up to 4TB?
is anybody coming out with a Thunderbolt docking station?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 648 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

No USB 3.0, correct?

If it is just for backups, Option 3 would be the cheapest, but with USB 2.0 and Firewire, it may take a while depending on how much data. You can over do the backing up at night while you sleep :).

With daisy chaining(connect multiple thunderbolt drives together and plug them into a single thunderbolt port on the computer), it would be great to find a single thunderbolt drive(with 2 ports) and upgrade later, but I am not even seeing that option.

It is like 4TB dual bay for 500/600 or 8TB dual bay for 700/800. The 8TBs are a better deal if you want to spend that much.

Also, there is a DYI option that is available. It involves the go flex desk adapter and your own drives(making sure to secure them). It is kinda discussed in the review.
http://www.storagere..._adapter_review

Since it is dual ports, you should be able to daisy chain them later. So $190 for the adapter and $100 for a cheap 2TB now which you can upgrade later...

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#3 crutonix

crutonix

• 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Modinator-

Correct- No USB 3.0 if I go with the Tbolt.

Looks like the WD Thunderbolt 8TB is a good option. Was leaning towards an Icy Dock that had USB, SATA and FireWire 800 for $200 but the WD is a good deal seeing that 4TB drives are $250/each, Thunderbolt cable is $50 and a decent enclosure is $100- so getting all that for $800 is pretty good.
My main concern is wether the 8TB WD enclosure will cooperate with other drives. They advise to ONLY use WD Green 5400 drives but I think that's for the 4TB and 6TB models. I believe the drives that come with the 8TB are 7200rpm Hitachi or Toshibas so maybe there is a fan in this new one? Been trying to find this out but so far no luck.

Perhaps my next step would be to grab that Seagate adaptor to use with a single drive for back up and keep in a separate location. I imagine I can daisy chain that to the WD no prob.
I've been using ChronoSync to copy files over to back up drives but open to options. It's pretty simple and saves my action in case I need to re-sync.

thanks!

No USB 3.0, correct?

If it is just for backups, Option 3 would be the cheapest, but with USB 2.0 and Firewire, it may take a while depending on how much data. You can over do the backing up at night while you sleep :).

With daisy chaining(connect multiple thunderbolt drives together and plug them into a single thunderbolt port on the computer), it would be great to find a single thunderbolt drive(with 2 ports) and upgrade later, but I am not even seeing that option.

It is like 4TB dual bay for 500/600 or 8TB dual bay for 700/800. The 8TBs are a better deal if you want to spend that much.

Also, there is a DYI option that is available. It involves the go flex desk adapter and your own drives(making sure to secure them). It is kinda discussed in the review.
http://www.storagere..._adapter_review

Since it is dual ports, you should be able to daisy chain them later. So $190 for the adapter and $100 for a cheap 2TB now which you can upgrade later...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users