WHERE BUY BLANK HDD DISC PLATTES

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aurteo

aurteo

• 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

hello people!!!I want to try to fix hard disks and I need your opinion about it.I want to purchase hard drives damaged to replace moving parts.to change disc and headstack with new.My question to you is where can I buy these discs and headstack???I want to say that I translated with google if you do not understand somethiyour questions please excuse me :(.your questions and suggestions on this idea helps me a lot.thank you in advance for your answers and have a nice day! Thank you again!

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

The average consumer can NOT replace components like that and expect the drive to work.

Or did you have something more specific in mind here?

#3 Mickey

Mickey

• Patron
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

Media and headstacks are proprietary in design to each HDD maker and often to specific products. Aside from the difficulty of doing such a swap for the average consumer, there is no place to source new parts. They cannot be purchased off-the-shelf nor are there third-party knockoffs available.

#4 aurteo

aurteo

• 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

hi,excuse me I did not understand very well the question!!!what I try to do is just inform me and theI though.totusi not give to look, do not know why tend to think I can still find these discs put into practice.replacement discs do not think it is so difficult.I know that seems very naive but as I said it is an idea.thank you for answers and hope to keep in touch!!

Edited by aurteo, 01 November 2012 - 03:49 AM.

#5 Mickey

Mickey

• Patron
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Physically installing disks isn't that difficult. You typically only need the appropriate Torx screwdriver to install the screws. But without the correct tools, you will not be able to install the headstack properly. Plus, disks are not interchangeable between products. They are usually formatted for a specific product and often even for the specific drive. You cannot simply swap parts and expect to have a working drive afterwards. This ignores needing to do all of this inside a Class 100 cleanroom, too.

#6 aurteo

aurteo

• 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hi,your opinion is that I can not do a job of this!?i think you can arrange a room or at least a transparent box with gloves you can open your hard drive and change drive safely.problem that remains is the new discs, I thought that they are sold and fit any hard drive.still believe that they occur in a small group of people, of course not legal, because I saw on the internet for hard disk drives made ​​of glass.
thank you very much for your answers and your time!

#7 Mickey

Mickey

• Patron
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

No, I do not believe you can do this successfully only using a transparent box and gloves. At least, not reliably enough that you can turn this into a business. The "blank" disks are not sold via retail. Each HDD maker buys a proprietary formulation for the platters, either in-house or from one of the few media makers. A regular consumer is not able to just go to one of them and say, "I want to buy 10 disks of whatever you make for the Quantum Bigfoot."

Moreover, you still need to safely remove/reinstall the headstack. That requires not only a clean environment, but adequate ESD protection and delicate tools as the heads are so easy to damage.

#8 Valleyforge

Valleyforge

• 133 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

I know that seems very naive but as I said it is an idea.

It's not just naive, it's impossible.

Laptop: Dell inspiron E7440, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 mSATA, Win7 Pro
Workstation: i5-4690K, Z97I-Plus, H100i, Obsidian 250D, 480GB Crucial M500, 1TB WD Black, Win8.1 Pro, Hyper-V

NAS: Asustor AS-604T, 3GB RAM, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 & 2x4TB HGST NAS

HTPC:Intel NUC D54250WYK, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

HTPC 2:Intel NUC DN2820, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users