• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

Crucial has released a low cost SSD for legacy systems.

Crucial v4 SSD Targets Existing SATA 2 Systems with Low-Cost Performance

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Don't mind some more competition or cheaper drives, but SSD prices are pretty good and even popular SSDs frequently go on sale, so hopefully it is not just a move to hook some ignorant customers...

Also, should be interesting to see how reliable is the Phison PS-3105(should be the one used in the V4 IIRC). Do you know if other ssds used that controller beside the Patriot Torqx 2?

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#3 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Not sure how many more SSDs we need in the low-cost market. Unless they're planning to kill the m4 entirely and replace it with a higher-performing one, thus leaving the v4 to fill the low-end...

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

We've never seen anything good come from a Phison controller. I'd be happy to not see them any longer unless they find a way to improve.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 RichardLee

RichardLee

• 15 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

In terms of performance, the sustained sequential in the neighbourhood of 200 MBps is about right for SATA 2 interface. But those random 4K...given that for typical SATA 3 SSDs, it's in the tens of thousands, I wonder how this would "feel" in real world performance.

In terms of price, I just checked Amazon right now. Crucial m4: $105. Crucial v4: $115.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users