WD Red or Seagate Barracuda?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalFreak

DigitalFreak

• 134 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Looking to build an 8 drive hardware RAID5 array for my media file server. Which would be a better choice, 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 or the 3TB Western Digital Red? The Reds are a bit more expensive, but come with a longer warranty.

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

The Reds will offer lower power consumption. Really the only reason to go Seagate is if you want max performance, but for that use I can't imagine you'd "feel" it too often.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 lukeren

lukeren

• 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

I've just recently been looking into new disks myself, and I chose the RED disks from WD from the sole reason that they support TLER, which I believe the Barracudas do not. At least I wasn't able to confirm they did.

Seagate has another name for it that escapes me at the moment. Their old disks supported it, but they took it out at some point.

A little read about the subject: http://en.wikipedia....covery_control.

I'm no storage expert, but this is what I found during my own purchase.

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

Consumer-market desktop-class drives? Hitachi Deskstars might be your best choice if you can find them...

I am curious to see how the WD Reds hold up, both short- and long-term, but I don't trust them yet.

#5 nkoconno

nkoconno

• 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Looking to build an 8 drive hardware RAID5 array for my media file server. Which would be a better choice, 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 or the 3TB Western Digital Red? The Reds are a bit more expensive, but come with a longer warranty.

I just had the same question and decided to go with the WD red drives, I picked up 5 of the 3TB models for my Synology DS1512+ I'm using it primarily as an iSCSI target for 2 ESX servers that are clustered for my home test lab, it works great, the throughput out of the disks is amazing and they're really quiet drives. Energy consumption and warranty of the WD Red drives is what pushed me over the edge, I've been using Seagates for years, but since they're dropping their warranty down it just didn't seem like a good investment. I'm sure you've already read this: http://www.storagere...review_wd30efrx but it's a great article.

#6 Lamberto

Lamberto

• 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

I think that Wd is better, but its only my opinion.
Ok %)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users