• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

We've posted our review of the Drobo B1200i with auto tiering.

Drobo B1200i Review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 clwolf

clwolf

• 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

We've posted our review of the Drobo B1200i with auto tiering.

Drobo B1200i Review

I would love to use this, but am so frustrated with the speed of previous Drobos that I mostly use it just for backup purposes. I also would like to know the speed using multipath and connected to at least two ESXi hosts with all VMs living in the Drobo. And perhaps the field replaceable nic means soon 10Gbps may be an upgradeable option.

#3 stugs

stugs

• 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

I would love to use this, but am so frustrated with the speed of previous Drobos that I mostly use it just for backup purposes. I also would like to know the speed using multipath and connected to at least two ESXi hosts with all VMs living in the Drobo. And perhaps the field replaceable nic means soon 10Gbps may be an upgradeable option.

Drobo posted an ESG lab validation report for the B1200i with performance numbers over a wide array of applications. It shows sustained throughput of 285Mbit/sec and an IOPS rating is very similar to the Storage Review #s.

Here is a link side-stepping their "login to download" page.

http://www.drobo.com...200i-jun-12.pdf

I know it was also listed on the VMWare 5 certified hardware list. The new tests require a lot more than just iSCSI spec and basic VMWare compliance. It now includes sustained high IO loads, bootstorms, simultaneous multi-pathing failures, etc... They appear to have come a long way in the last 12 months.

#4 deepthought

deepthought

• 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

The review needs to compare to comprable costing kit to be useful. With the Talos disks these are expensive bits of kit and there are better solutions out there for the same money. I understand they use ARM multicore processors but can't find out specific speed.
Drobo spends too much time marketing and are just not technically credible in the market.

Edited by deepthought, 12 October 2012 - 08:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users