WD Red or Black for external?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nameless_Mofo

Nameless_Mofo

• 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

So I'm looking to buy a new HDD for data backup in an external enclosure, and now I'm torn between the Red and the Black. Any advice from folks here one way or the other? Data integrity & reliability is of course #1 concern, performance not as important but still a care-about. Aluminum enclosure means it shouldn't get too hot either way but I guess I should care about it a little at least.

Thanks!

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

How are you going to interface with the enclosure?

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 orion24

orion24

• 76 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

The last drive I'd pick for this type of usage, is the black. Running hotter than any other, costs as if you are buying something premium while you actually get 3,5 year old technology. The RED is an option, if the performance of 5000RPM are enough for you. Otherwise the Seagate ST3000DM001, is a low cost 7200RPM drive with 1GB platters that performs between the WD RED and the hypothetical performance of the never arriving WD Black with 1TB platters.
Core i7 920 D0 4.2GHz. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v1.0. Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 12GB. NVIDIA GTX 680. ASUS VG278H 3D-Vision2.
Corsair Force GS 240GB (OS drive). VelociRaptor 1TBx2 RAID-0 (gaming). SpinPoint F3 1TBx2 RAID-1 (important files). Barracuda 7200.14 3TBx2 (general storage)

#4 Nameless_Mofo

Nameless_Mofo

• 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

So I'm looking to buy a new HDD for data backup in an external enclosure, and now I'm torn between the Red and the Black. Any advice from folks here one way or the other? Data integrity & reliability is of course #1 concern, performance not as important but still a care-about. Aluminum enclosure means it shouldn't get too hot either way but I guess I should care about it a little at least.

Thanks!

So the enclosure has USB/FW800/eSATA ports, so for some computers I'll have to use USB but others have eSATA. I bought aluminum since heat and vibration are a drive's worst enemy. Main reason I was interested in the black was the 5 year warranty and hopefully better performance on large backup tasks with multi-GB files. Same reason I was also considering the RE4 but that's even more expensive than the black.

Not interested in Seagate right now at all, having read way too many reports of drives dying young and so forth.

Also heard much the same thing about the WD green drives, plus the 2 year warranty (or is it 1 year now?) kind of puts me off.

Since the red has the 3 year warranty and it's like $130 at newegg right now maybe I should just go for it.

#5 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

Get the cheapest drive you trust. You will be interface limited, not drive limited, assuming you put a remotely modern drive in there. ;)

#6 orion24

orion24

• 76 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

So the enclosure has USB/FW800/eSATA ports, so for some computers I'll have to use USB but others have eSATA. I bought aluminum since heat and vibration are a drive's worst enemy. Main reason I was interested in the black was the 5 year warranty and hopefully better performance on large backup tasks with multi-GB files. Same reason I was also considering the RE4 but that's even more expensive than the black.

Not interested in Seagate right now at all, having read way too many reports of drives dying young and so forth.

Also heard much the same thing about the WD green drives, plus the 2 year warranty (or is it 1 year now?) kind of puts me off.

Since the red has the 3 year warranty and it's like $130 at newegg right now maybe I should just go for it.

I suppose RED drives are made to be less heat-generators, thus more tolerant in environments that have one HDD above the other and not always with fans blowing on them. Probably the room temperatures are higher as well in server-like rooms, full of PCs and HDDs, especially during the hot seassons.

The long warranty does not mean that the drive is more reliable. Part of the reliability is the way you use the drive yourself, especially in terms of preventing it from overheating. High performance drives are usually owned by people with quality PSUs (nice & stable 5V line) and cases (sufficient air-flow, a case fan blowing on the HDDs) and WD knows this, offering 5-years warranty to Raptors and Blacks. Although, if the current development rates continue, I think we'll go back to 1 to 3 years warranty at most, beacause with no development for nearly 4 years, every failing drive has the same value it did when it was purchased, something that wasn't the case in the past, where after 3-5 years the old drive was devalued due to development rates and the replacement did not cost much to the company (they'd just send the smallest single platter drive)
Core i7 920 D0 4.2GHz. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v1.0. Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 12GB. NVIDIA GTX 680. ASUS VG278H 3D-Vision2.
Corsair Force GS 240GB (OS drive). VelociRaptor 1TBx2 RAID-0 (gaming). SpinPoint F3 1TBx2 RAID-1 (important files). Barracuda 7200.14 3TBx2 (general storage)

#7 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 219 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

It seems like you want a good long warranty with whatever drive you end up getting, but if you're not then WD black 2TB hard drives are cheap as white label possibly refurbished drives.
Media Max WL2000GSA6472. $90 shipped on goharddrive with 1yr warranty

Edited by danwat1234, 14 July 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#8 Nameless_Mofo

Nameless_Mofo

• 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the input everyone, probably I'll go with the Red since it seems more suited to the application I need it for.

Not at all interested in any refurbished or recertified drives, having been burned on that once before, so I guess I'm buying new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users