• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

StorageReview has posted our list of key brands to consider when buying a consumer SSD.

Buying an SSD - The Top 10 Brands That Matter

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 JackNaylorPE

JackNaylorPE

• 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

You have the Patriot and OWC Brands listed but with the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe using the same toshiba premium toggle mode flash as the premium lines from those two vendors, and putting it out there at a cost per GB we are just starting to dee others begin to match, kinda curious as to why this is not considered to "matter".

240 GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe - $170
240 GB Patriot Wildfire - $400
240 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS - $190
256 GB Samsung 830- $170

Mushkin's the one putting the price pressure on everyone else at this performance range and I kinda thought that as significant.

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

If we were just looking at price and raw components, you would quickly add most companies onto the list. We are interested in the full package, from sales to hardware to IP to support. Mushkin just doesn't fill all those spots. At the end of the day if we have trouble working with certain SSD vendors getting support, whats the experience going to be like for a customer?

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Is Patriot to the volume of some of the other brands on the list?

#5 Valleyforge

Valleyforge

• 134 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

You've got OCZ on the list. That fact alone makes the list totally useless. If you're recommending that junk, why should anyone listen to any of your other recommendations?

I wouldn't wish an OCZ SSD on my worst enemy. Junk hardware, worse firmware, and support who either call you a liar, or get the users to alpha and beta test their firmwares.

Laptop: Dell inspiron E7440, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 mSATA, Win7 Pro
Workstation: i5-4690K, Z97I-Plus, H100i, Obsidian 250D, 480GB Crucial M500, 1TB WD Black, Win8.1 Pro, Hyper-V

NAS: Asustor AS-604T, 3GB RAM, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 & 2x4TB HGST NAS

HTPC:Intel NUC D54250WYK, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

HTPC 2:Intel NUC DN2820, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

#6 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

You have the Patriot and OWC Brands listed but with the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe using the same toshiba premium toggle mode flash as the premium lines from those two vendors, and putting it out there at a cost per GB we are just starting to dee others begin to match, kinda curious as to why this is not considered to "matter".

240 GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe - $170
240 GB Patriot Wildfire - $400
240 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS - $190
256 GB Samsung 830- $170

Mushkin's the one putting the price pressure on everyone else at this performance range and I kinda thought that as significant.

FWIW - I use and recommend Muskin RAM as it has proven to be very high quality over many years.

Recently when checking out SSDs at Newegg I was shocked to see the number of issues with Mushkin Chronos drives in the various iterations. I do not know if they have some bad firmware, hardware or what the problem is but the failure rate appears from what I see online to be unusually high. I was unable to get any response from Mushkin regarding the documented failures.

BTW - I believe that Muskin's SSDs are produced by some other company and this may be the real issue?

#7 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Ir regards to the Top 10 list of SSDs that matter, I'd suggest people who don't want major PC headaches, lost data, constant firmware updates, RMAs, etc. do their homework before jumping in as these issues are still the norm and not the exception with many SSDs.

As far as OCZ is concerned, their products have been questionable for a long time IMO. There recent CEO shake-up and company management chaos in addition to their SSD's checkered past, would remove them from any SSD consideration list of mine.

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Not sure it's fair for us to axe the brand based on the CEO's behaviors, but it's certainly a valid point when you look at it from a consumer trust point of view. OCZ still has significant IP and while everything hasn't been perfect, their newer products that are not SF-based have been good. We'll see how it continues to play out.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#9 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

Ir regards to the Top 10 list of SSDs that matter, I'd suggest people who don't want major PC headaches, lost data, constant firmware updates, RMAs, etc. do their homework before jumping in as these issues are still the norm and not the exception with many SSDs.

As far as OCZ is concerned, their products have been questionable for a long time IMO. There recent CEO shake-up and company management chaos in addition to their SSD's checkered past, would remove them from any SSD consideration list of mine.

If they do their research well, they should realize that most people are perfectly happy with their SSDs, have easily written hundreds of Terebytes on their SSD, and that on forums/message board, people are more likely to complain than praise a product. If they don't realize that, then that is one less person I have to worry when a good deals comes up on a SSD.

Headaches, lost data, constant updates are a problem industry wide with technology. Heck even with laptops they still can't get build quality, heat,fan noise, or screen quality right.

In 2011, I would have avoided OCZ. Now with better firmware and even the option for different controllers, OCZ is still a contender. IMO OCZ made SSDs accessible to a lot of people. They offered a variety of solution from PCIe/hybrids, caching, enterprise, msata, and even a 3.5in drive that are cheaper anywhere from $30 to a couple of hundred. Samsung may make a good SSD, but for example with the 512GB 830 SSD, there is no way it is worth $200 dollars more than compared to an OCZ agility lineup especially for consumers and the ease of backing up data. $30 dollar difference on the other hand...

FYI, comparing OCZ 120GB lineup(just Agility 3 and Vertex 3) with Samsungs 830 128GB, there are almost 1000 more review on Newegg alone. Even with the fact that most people don't review their products, it still gives an idea on the numbers they sell.

We'll see how it continues to play out.

It will be very interesting to see. Though it will likely be like Apple and most companies where CEO changes result it little but a fluff piece or two for marketing.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#10 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Note that our list has just been updated, removing Patriot Memory as they have more or less vacated the SSD market.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#11 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 134 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

removing Patriot Memory as they have more or less vacated the SSD market.

.... I almost joined their bloody team ©

#12 MRFS

MRFS

• 190 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for demonstrating the leadership required to take a stand
and publish your honest observations about the SSD marketplace --
for better or for worse.

In support of a Utility Patent Application now pending,
we have spent much time reading SSD reviews and "dabbling"
with some of the better brands.

FWIW, we would like to add a few, hopefully unique contributions
to this debate, as follows:

(1) one hypothesis of ours that is worth testing
is our suspicion that many IT vendors jumped into SSDs
as a way of making a fast profit and surviving the
latest Depression that has beset the USA;

(2) unfortunately, that trend ended up flooding
the marketplace with about 100 different sellers
many of whom were making unrealistic claims
about Nand Flash technology, while concealing
nasty realities like poor write endurance,
declining PE cycles, and serious performance
degradation during factory warranty periods;

(3) our Presentation to the Storage Developer Conference
last Fall added 2 other factors to this market mix:

( a ) SSD technology is already bumping against
a Max Headroom of 6G / 10 = 600 MB/second;

( b ) in the latter division, the "10" should
be replaced with the 128b/130b "jumbo frame"
that is now a feature of the PCIe 3.0 standard.

(4) the legacy ATA-133 bus was implemented so as
to "sync" compatible devices with the legacy PCI bus:
32 bits @ 33 MHz = 1,056 Mbps / 8 = ~133 MB/sec
(the "133" in ATA-133 aka UDMA parallel ribbon cables);

(5) SATA SSD technology will benefit ACROSS THE BOARD
by allowing the transmission clock to be VARIABLE,
at least up to the PCIe 3.0 clock of 8G; and,
the PCIe 3.0 jumbo frame should also be an option,
if not a standard feature, of future SATA SSDs that
inter-operate with what we are calling a future "SATA-IV" protocol;

(6) these two changes will then make it much easier
for future SATA and SAS SSDs to migrate gracefully
to a higher MAX HEADROOM as soon as the PCIe 4.0 standard
becomes commonplace: that standard is expected to increase the
raw clock rate to 16G / 8 = 2,000 MB/second per lane;

(7) SATA and SAS SSDs should become really interesting
when their data channels are also oscillating at 16G.

Hope this helps.

MRFS

Edited by MRFS, 14 March 2013 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users