Format SSD Problem Can It Be Fixed?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 QualityIsNumber1

QualityIsNumber1

• 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hello, I was hoping that someone here could help me out. I purchased a 1.8" PATA MX-NANO ZIF 240GB SSD and installed it into my 6th Gen iPod Classic.
I was having difficulty formatting the drive but eventually ended up getting it to start formatting. Unfortunately I didn't realize that it was until after I had unplugged the iPod from my computer.
Now my computer can't see the drive when I plug it into my computer. Is there any way of fixing this?

I know that this drive is compatible with an iPod classic because I saw someone do it in this video which was advertising the product.

Video Ad Link: http://pcwizkidstech...x-nano-zif.html

Sincerely,

Joshua.

#2 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Does the drive show up under disk management? If it is there, see if you can format it again.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#3 QualityIsNumber1

QualityIsNumber1

• 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Does the drive show up under disk management? If it is there, see if you can format it again.

No not even disk management. :(

#4 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

Try resetting the iPod(instructionshere) and see if the iPod gets recongized on another computer. If that computer can't recognize it, check to see if it gets recognized with the original drive in the iPod(just to make sure it not a problem with the iPod itself).

SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#5 QualityIsNumber1

QualityIsNumber1

• 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Try resetting the iPod(instructionshere) and see if the iPod gets recongized on another computer. If that computer can't recognize it, check to see if it gets recognized with the original drive in the iPod(just to make sure it not a problem with the iPod itself).

Tried it. My original 160GB iPod HDD can be seen by my computer. But still my new SSD drive isn't recognized even after resetting it. All I get is a sad face ipod symbol. The closest I have managed to get with my iPod, to show some kind of acknowledgement of my SSD, is when I put it into disk mode and plug it into my computer. When I do this my computer makes a bleep sound which indicates that it knows a device has been plugged in. But the device cannot be seen or viewed in any way.

Then when I tried switching back to my old HDD with all my stuff on it I discovered another problem. My iPod will open up and work normally but it says that there is nothing on it. So when I plugged it into my computer, iTunes tells me that I have to restore/reformat the drive in order to use it again. So my content is not viewable even in iTunes. However, when I go to my computer and open the iPod device, I can see and play all my content off of the HDD. So I was able to save all 160GB of content off of the device by copying it to my computer hard drive. Good thing I didn't restore/reformat it. :)

I also have another iPod HDD drive that I restored and copied some of the files I saved from my corrupt HDD, and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately, I would have to manually rename and organize half of the 160GB of music and videos I have because I ripped and converted them from DVDs and CDs that I own. So even though I haven't lost anything I will have to go through a lot of renaming and categorizing all over again. Unless someone knows a way to fix this.

Edited by QualityIsNumber1, 23 April 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#6 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 405 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Maybe get one of these

ZIF IDE to 3.5 IDE Adapter

And hook the SSD directly to your computer and see if an Ubuntu Live CD can wipe/repartition/format it.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#7 QualityIsNumber1

QualityIsNumber1

• 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

I wrote to the manufacturing company and they told me to submit an RMA request and send it back.

#8 QualityIsNumber1

QualityIsNumber1

• 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:05 AM

Maybe get one of these

ZIF IDE to 3.5 IDE Adapter

And hook the SSD directly to your computer and see if an Ubuntu Live CD can wipe/repartition/format it.

Update: June 27/2012

I returned my SSD drive and the RMA service wrote back and told me that there was nothing wrong with the drive. So I explained the issue I was having with it, and we eventually agreed to have it shipped back to me, formatted in a exFAT format. When it arrived I tried it and it still didn't work, so I then decided to try "FastMHZ"'s suggestion. The adapter just arrived in the mail today. So I plugged the SSD into the adapter and formatted it and now it finally works!

I formatted the drive with EaseUs Partition Master Home Edition and experimented with the format settings.
The three main settings that finally got it working are the following:

File System: FAT32
Type: Primary
Cluster Size: 64KB

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

QualityIsNumber1.

#9 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 639 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

Great news! So when are you getting a Zune? :P

SSD vs. HDD Guide

#10 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 405 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

I returned my SSD drive and the RMA service wrote back and told me that there was nothing wrong with the drive. So I explained the issue I was having with it, and we eventually agreed to have it shipped back to me, formatted in a exFAT format. When it arrived I tried it and it still didn't work, so I then decided to try "FastMHZ"'s suggestion. The adapter just arrived in the mail today. So I plugged the SSD into the adapter and formatted it and now it finally works!

Glad I could help :-)

#11 4ybak

4ybak

• 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

I formatted the drive with EaseUs Partition Master Home Edition and experimented with the format settings.
The three main settings that finally got it working are the following:

File System: FAT32
Type: Primary
Cluster Size: 64KB

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

QualityIsNumber1.

Hey QualityIsNumber1,

I am trying to do the same, no luck, when i connect my ZIF IDE to 3.5 IDE Adapter to my pc direct, my pc crashes :(

bought a different adapter = zif to usb adabpter and nothing happens, when i connect the adapter on its own, the LED is glowing, once I connect the SSD it stops glowing and nothing happens.

Please please help!!!

#12 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 405 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

IDE devices should not be plugged in while your system is on, which could cause it to crash.

Download an Ubuntu Live CD ISO and burn it. Disconnect your system drives, leaving just your CD drive and the IDE SSD adapter as the only things connected, boot the CD, and format the SSD from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users