• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

WD is out with their latest VelociRaptor which takes over from it's older 600GB brother as the fastest SATA hard drive on the market.

Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB Review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 geenp

geenp

• 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for the review.

You write that the smaller capacities have been short stroked to achieve their smaller capacities, does that mean that even the 250GB is technically a 1TB drive? My ignorance might be showing here but isn't that a waste on their part to charge less for the same hardware? Or are they are some other factors at play here? I know CPUs manufacturers disable cores to salvage defective dies but that doesn't seem applicable here.

#3 Noli

Noli

• 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

I'm not sure that this drive is 'innovating' as you say as it just refines an existing model. Not saying there isn't value in that (half of Apple's products are evolutionary and we all know what their market cap looks like) but I'd just distinguish from actually inventing something that might become a new paradigm.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the review.

You write that the smaller capacities have been short stroked to achieve their smaller capacities, does that mean that even the 250GB is technically a 1TB drive? My ignorance might be showing here but isn't that a waste on their part to charge less for the same hardware? Or are they are some other factors at play here? I know CPUs manufacturers disable cores to salvage defective dies but that doesn't seem applicable here.

This is how nearly all hard drives are sold. It would cost more to create different mechanical designs based around platter count. In some cases there are distinct offerings though of lower capacity but more dense platters. The Hitachi 7K1000.D comes to mind.

http://www.storagere...1tb_hard_drives

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

I'm not sure that this drive is 'innovating' as you say as it just refines an existing model. Not saying there isn't value in that (half of Apple's products are evolutionary and we all know what their market cap looks like) but I'd just distinguish from actually inventing something that might become a new paradigm.

When no one else is doing anything like it, I think it's innovating, maybe it's a matter or personal taste ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

When no one else is doing anything like it, I think it's innovating, maybe it's a matter or personal taste ;)

Good review as always. And did I say I LOVE the pictures?

A feast of HDD engineering. I great product which will find many happy customers, I am sure of that.

#7 Vampire

Vampire

• 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

WD is out with their latest VelociRaptor which takes over from it's older 600GB brother as the fastest SATA hard drive on the market.

Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB Review

Everyone was waiting for a comparison between Seagate Momentus XT 2 vs Western Digital VelociRaptor.

#8 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 134 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

As always two main issues:

1. Still slower than SSDs (expected).
2. Louder/noisier than before.

#9 uhs

uhs

• 45 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

As always two main issues:

1. Still slower than SSDs (expected).

I'd like to add:
3. More expensive than ever, the 250 GB version is almost in the price range of 240-256 GB SSDs now.
4. Sequential transfer rate is not necessarily the fastest of SATA HDDs around: Current Seagate 1TB/platter versions offer 211-214 MB/sec. max. transfer and the 3 TB version of it costs US$ 169, i.e. just about the same as the 250GB Velociraptor.

Nope, I always liked, owned and sold a lot of WD hard disk drives, but due to prices, I never touched any (Veloci-)Raptor.
If WD wanted to place the Velociraptor as an alternative to 128GB SSD+ 2-3TB HDD settings (or short stroked RAID-0 settings with 7200 rpm 1TB/platter HDDs), than their prices should not exceed twice the amount of current leading 1 TB/platter 7200 rpm SATA HDDs.

uhs

#10 fullermd

fullermd

• 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

You write that the smaller capacities have been short stroked to achieve their smaller capacities, does that mean that even the 250GB is technically a 1TB drive?

No, it presumably means the 250GB is physically a 333GB, and the 500 a 666. 333GB per platter, and 1/2/3 platters in the various sizes.

(well, I guess it's theoretically possible they could be selling a 3-platter very short-stroked design as 250, but that would be nuts)

#11 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

No, it presumably means the 250GB is physically a 333GB, and the 500 a 666. 333GB per platter, and 1/2/3 platters in the various sizes.

(well, I guess it's theoretically possible they could be selling a 3-platter very short-stroked design as 250, but that would be nuts)

Agreed.

I am a bit surprised that they won't sell them in 300/600/1000GB capacity points. Some weird head/media matching going on I guess.

#12 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

On the photos comment I was just talking to Kevin yesterday about converting some of those great images to wall art for the office ;)

Maybe we'll post some of the original files for anyone else interested in such odd decor.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#13 Csybe

Csybe

• 132 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Agreed.

I am a bit surprised that they won't sell them in 300/600/1000GB capacity points. Some weird head/media matching going on I guess.

This way the 250 and the 500GB variant will be significantly short stroked, resulting in better performance.

Edited by Csybe, 20 April 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#14 Csybe

Csybe

• 132 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

How do you know? I am sorry SR no longer mentions noise and temperature in their reviews.

3. More expensive than ever, the 250 GB version is almost in the price range of 240-256 GB SSDs now.

WTF? :)

#15 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

We just never invested in a way to monitor and accurately report noise. We tried several options but none gave the repeatability that we needed. We are however working toward thermals in our reviews, have a few pretty cool ideas in very early review.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#16 geenp

geenp

• 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

This is how nearly all hard drives are sold. It would cost more to create different mechanical designs based around platter count. In some cases there are distinct offerings though of lower capacity but more dense platters. The Hitachi 7K1000.D comes to mind.

http://www.storagere...1tb_hard_drives

I understand now, thanks for the replies.

#17 lebarle

lebarle

• 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hello:

I admit a limited knowledge of hard drive performance. Can someone explain to me why the new velociraptor would be slower in HTPC usage scenarios? I can't fathom that. It has a large cache, fast spindle speed and should be faster in all scenarios not just gaming. What is it lacking?

#18 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 742 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

Firmware algorithms are the only explanation for that. Which is also the reason why a WD Black with 500 GB platters still holds so well compared the newer Seagates and Hitachis with 600 - 1000 GB platters.

MrS

#19 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

On the photos comment I was just talking to Kevin yesterday about converting some of those great images to wall art for the office ;)

Maybe we'll post some of the original files for anyone else interested in such odd decor.

Count me in!

#20 Csybe

Csybe

• 132 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

Count me in!

Me too, take the top cover off and take some photos then too ;)

#21 Csybe

Csybe

• 132 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

Anyone tested the 250 and the 500GB variants yet? I'm interested how they would compare against the 1TB model - I think that the difference in model name (HHTZ vs DHTZ) should mean something.

Edit: ok, in fact, according to the model numbering PDF found on the net, it actually means nothing expect that the top modell is a terrabyte drive.

Edited by Csybe, 02 May 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#22 biber_bert

biber_bert

• 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Anyone tested the 250 and the 500GB variants yet? I'm interested how they would compare against the 1TB model - I think that the difference in model name (HHTZ vs DHTZ) should mean something.

Edit: ok, in fact, according to the model numbering PDF found on the net, it actually means nothing expect that the top modell is a terrabyte drive.

I wondered about the same too. Are the Transferrates etc. the same (250/500GB) within the new velociraptor generation?
Or is it as on SSD's that bigger drives are faster ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users