• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

Western Digital has long made excellent external hard drive solutions that appeal to creative types and others who want large capacity local drive access with the fastest interface available. From a Mac perspective, the current interface of choice for speed is Thunderbolt. But to this point we haven't seen much in the way of direct attached storage where Thunderbolt has proven a worth investment for the mainstream user. WD's hoping to change our perspective on that with the My Book Thunderbolt Duo, a two-drive external which supports up to six Thunderbolt Duos daisy-chained together.

Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo Review

#2 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 128 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Two questions:

1. What kind of Green drives? AV-GP or regular Greens?
2. The silver outer-casing - painted plastic or aluminum?

Thx

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

1. Standard Green Drives (not the AV-GP drives we found in the Live Duo).

2. Case is plastic painted silver

#4 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 128 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

Thanks Kevin.
That is rather puzzling as it seems they are identical with Live Duo (casing-wise), but the ports used. Yet the drives inside are clearly inferior to AV-GP. Looks like WD is cheaping-out on the drives to keep the overall price down due to Thunderbolt :unsure:

#5 Backdraft

Backdraft

• 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

Sorry for my English, I normally speak Dutch, The following is not clear to me:

Question 1: uses Western Digital on the My Book Thunderbolt Duo for the "Thunderbolt input and out to next" the same chips as the Lacie Thunderbolt little big disk and/or the Pegasus Thunderbolt R4 with higher read and write ?

Question 2: Is behind the Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo the high rate of 10GBit/sec still available for other devices such as Thunder Bold Video capture device or other I / O devices, witch are at the end of the chain (have only one Thunderbolt port) ?

Question 3: Is the connection behind the Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo possible for one Thunderbolt Apple Monitor at full speed ?

Question 4a: If two Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo are used in succession can I switched them as one logical volume ? 4b: Is the writing speed in this setup than higher ? 4c: Is at this setup (4 disk=logical volume) all the data lost if one disk fails.

On advance, Thanks, Marc from Belgium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users