• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

OCA has launched the Vertex 4 based on the Indilinx Everest 2 platform. Check out our full review for all the details.

OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 dimsi

dimsi

• 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Great review!

But with a small error: ;)
In a File Server setting, the 512GB OCZ Vertex 4 stayed ahead of the Vertex 4 MAX IOPS and the Intel SSD 520 with an average speed of 9,460 I/O.
LIBERATE TUTE ME EX INFERIS

#3 h4lf

h4lf

• 24 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Excellent review, great to see a full gamut of drives and controllers.

Another typo: you write the Plextor M3P as having a capacity of 256MB instead of GB.

Suggestion: I think you should mention that the Octane 4 comes with some DDR3 chips for caching.. what looks like 512MB to me? I presume this helps significantly for it's strong write performance.

All said and done, I think this looks like a solid drive; but I can help but feel the review really highlights how strong the Plextor M3P is for every workload!

#4 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Chart 7 & 8, ms not Msecond

#5 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Making some corrections now. We were finishing this review at 2am last night out on the road at SNW in Dallas. Thanks for catching those. We are actually making some mid-flight edits right now on our way back to Cincinnati. I'll get the tweaks to the charts rolled out shortly.

#6 dimsi

dimsi

• 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

That's what i thought, V4 anticipation... :D
LIBERATE TUTE ME EX INFERIS

#7 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

How nice is it to edit reviews from 34,000 feet? We're just happy to have survived the tornados during SNW really, but thanks for pointing out the fixes ;)

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#8 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

I noticed the Vertex 4 uses a 512 MB. cache on the 128 GB. drive and that OCZ is claiming closer performance to the 256 GB drive. Latencies are low but performance in real apps. is average, which seems odd to me.

Edited by Beenthere, 05 April 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#9 continuation

continuation

• 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

1) Vertex 4 benched better than most other drives at IOMETER random 4K reads and writes benchmarks, so I expected it to be the best drives at database benchmark. Yet at the IOMETER database IO benchmark, its performance is very lagging, actually worse than Vertex 3. Why is that?

2) Does it come with any capacitors to protect against crash? Or would I lose/corrupt my data if I lose power?

Thanks

#10 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

1. Certain drives excel in a given workload, but start to fall back when both read and write activity is measured together. OCZ has stated firmware updates should improve performance in those areas, but how much is still up in the air until we retest it.

2. Most consumer models outside of the Intel SSD 320 offer minimal power protection. The best setup for a consumer workstation is a battery backup such as a UPS.

#11 kidaus

kidaus

• 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:43 AM

basicly VERTEX 4 use marvel controller 9178
Rebranding to Indilix with custom firmware
http://www.anandtech...l-based-silicon

#12 Chrysalis

Chrysalis

• 16 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

is it a pro that performance scales with capacity?

on other brands they get 500meg writes with lower capacities, I expect 90% of ssd sales are sub 200gig models due to cost.

also is there any news on reliabilty? arguably more important than performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users