• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

StorageReview takes an in-depth look at the largest shipping bare drive from Hitachi.

Hitachi Deskstar 5K4000 Review

#2 Schlotkins

Schlotkins

• 102 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the review. I was going to wait for a 4 platter solution but who knows when one of those will be available so I'll probably pick one of these up over the weekend. I'm using it for a media server so random performance is not important.

Thanks again,
Chris

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

No problem...as to a 4x1TB - Seagate seems like the best suited to release one of those, but their 3x1TB took forever to get to market, so who knows.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 grogthegreat

grogthegreat

• 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

I really like the fact that Hitachi hasn't dropped their warranty below 3 years like the other guys but other than that I'm not really impressed by this drive. Obviously everyone would rather a 4 platter design but despite being 5 platters, it still has a higher data density should it should perform better than the smaller green drives. This drives doesn't even equal them. Considering the price and the performance, I don't think it makes for those shortcomings with the 4TB size. Hopefully in 6 months prices will be back to normal and a reasonably priced 4 platter design will be out.

#5 mabene

mabene

• 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

StorageReview takes an in-depth look at the largest shipping bare drive from Hitachi.

Hitachi Deskstar 5K4000 Review

The faster spinning sibling to this (7K4000, http://www.hitachigs...deskstar-7k4000) also seems to be available in shops - will you have a review of that modell as well?

Thanks, Martin

#6 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Yes, that model is on the way and will be reviewed :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users