Plextor M3 Series PX-512M3 Mac OS Benchmarks

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 swalsh2333

swalsh2333

• 9 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

I ordered a 512gb M3 SSD drive from Plextor.com. I tested the speed of the drive after it was installed and it was much lower than advertised. I called Plextor to see if something was wrong with the drive. After I told them that I have a Mac they informed me that I would not get the advertised speeds. They sent me the Mac benchmark report where the speeds are considerably less than advertised but Plextor does not publish this information anywhere and refuses to take their product back after they false advertise it. You would think they would do the right thing and put a * next to the speeds and then post the mac benchmarks so their potential buyers can make an informed decision. I'm thinking I should have stuck with my Crucial M4. I paid $656 to downgrade my system. Apparently Plextor believes false advertising is acceptable. Also, please beware of Plextors has a 14 day return policy for credit even with a 15% restocking fee. I called customer service 11 days after I received the drive but they refuse to take my drive back because itís 14 days from invoice date. I ordered the drive on 2/3/12 and received it on 2/14/12. It took me 11 of the 14 days just to receive the drive. I had 3 days to figure out that I was not getting what I paid for. Anyway........

I was thinking of purchasing a new drive. I understand the benchmarks that are advertised are maximum speeds which is fine. I have a 2011 MBP 17, 16gb Ram and a quadcore I7 processor so I figured I would get somewhere near the top of the speeds. Are all manufacturers shady like Plextor with their speed specifications for Macs or does anyone know specifically of any manufacturers where I will get the advertised speeds? I was interested in the Intel 520 series, the Samsung 830 and the Corsair GT or possibly an OWC.

Thanks

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

What did you see with your Plextor?

In terms of spec sheets, no one that I'm aware of advertises Mac performance. OWC might, but they'd be the only ones.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 swalsh2333

swalsh2333

• 9 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

What did you see with your Plextor?

In terms of spec sheets, no one that I'm aware of advertises Mac performance. OWC might, but they'd be the only ones.

428 MB/sec - Read
380 MB/sec - Write

on Quickbench 4.0

#4 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Those speeds actually look on par for what you would expect for a drive being benchmarked while an operating system is running on it. All benchmarks published are drives running as secondary, so you don't have other activity pinging the drive during the test run. This lowers the performance to the benchmark application, showing slower results.

Another huge thing you need to realize is advertised speeds aren't what you would see from pretty much any drive outside of maybe an Enterprise model. All consumer SSDs are advertised off their peakest burst speeds in decimal, versus sustained speeds in binary which we record (and what I am guessing QuickBench uses). You will never see advertised speeds in the real world, and this applies to pretty much all consumer models.

In our review using a file system level benchmark CrystalDiskMark in Windows, we measured speeds of 456MB/s read and 360.4MB/s write. So in a sense, you are seeing the exact speeds we saw, with some range of error for test system differences.

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'd agree that those speeds don't surprise me. I can't imagine the m4 was faster with the same test in the same system.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 swalsh2333

swalsh2333

• 9 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it and it all makes sense. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that I was consistently getting read speeds of over or around 500 MB/sec with the crucial M4 using blackmagic (about 250 MB/sec write) and I'm only getting speeds in the low 400's with this drive on blackmagic. The Crucial was a 256gb so I don't know if that makes a difference. The MBP is only 2 months old so I know it's not bogged down with a bunch of junk and I run the tests always with nothing running.

Ironically I just ran quickbench and black magic again 4-5 times and I'm only getting speeds of 314 MB/sec read and 249 MB/sec write (or around those numbers) on both tests. I did 3 restarts and the numbers aren't changing. BTW, both blackmagic and quickbench numbers are coming in identical.

I'm really frustrated with this drive and it seems like I'm stuck with it.

Any suggestions on what's out there or is it all the same with these drives?!?!?!?!

Thanks!

#7 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Are you looking at any overall system benchmarks instead of just straight performance numbers? Faster random 4K performance can have a bigger impact on running multiple programs at the same time, and the M3S handled itself much better at higher load levels than the m4.

#8 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

It makes you wonder if Plextor really knows what the deal is on benches or not? Why would they state that Mac numbers are lower, yet SR thinks the numbers of representative of the drives real performance? Very strange.

#9 swalsh2333

swalsh2333

• 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

Basically I'm looking to get what I paid for and was advertised from Plextor. My intention is not to compare the M4 with M3 overall. My point with mentioning the M4 is that if crucial advertises performance specs and they actually consistently produce those specs why can't Plextor. I paid over $650 to "upgrade" my performance and I really didn't. My reads are running 20%+ slower at times. As you are probably already know, I'm not a techie, I'm a everyday user and don't think I got what I paid for. I put a lot of credence in what Plextor claimed which is not true and they didn't disclose information they had for Mac users by design. As I stated before, If they advertise specs and then clearly understand that those can never be replicated with Mac OS users I believe they have an obligation to mention that fact so consumers can make an informed decision. We're not talking about getting different results with the same OS where the PC has different components. I get that. We're talking about a OS that they say is compatible but is compatible without the same specs which is not stated. Also, this is not me claiming that Mac OS users will not get the same results. This information came from Plextor customer service clearly stating that these specs just won't happen won't happen on a Mac. The fact that they will knowingly false advertise and then hide behind a 14 day return policy is not good business practice. In a year when I have a problem with this drive are they going to hide behind another false statement and/or policy and not fix the drive??? I really want to rid myself of this drive and company and they're not going to help.

Im really not looking for a defense to Plextors drives. I know they are inferior now by doing the research I should have done to start.

Does anyone know of a drive where the reads will be in the 500 MB/sec range and the writes in the mid 400 MB/sec range with a Mac OS. My specs are 2011 MBP 17, 16gb ram, 2.2ghz Intel I7 quad-core processor.

Thanks for help!!

Oh BTW, On the plextor online store (http://shop.plextoramericas.com/) you have the ability to review their products. I left a critical review which they never published. My thoughts are, don't have a review process if you are not going publish legitimate reviews that you don't like. Seems like more shady practices.

#10 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Could you forward me the spec sheet they sent you about the Mac OS performance or paste it here?

#11 swalsh2333

swalsh2333

• 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

It makes you wonder if Plextor really knows what the deal is on benches or not? Why would they state that Mac numbers are lower, yet SR thinks the numbers of representative of the drives real performance? Very strange.

What Plextor told me was that certain manufacturers that aren't Mac certified are not able to take advanatage of all of the features. Please read Plextors response below.

"Scott, although the RMA has been created, it appears that your return request is past the 14 day grace period which would disqualify you for a refund. According to your invoice, the purchase was made on the 3rd of this month and the date on your initial email in regards to this issue is 2/23/2012. Please click on the link below for our full return policy.

http://shop.plextora...cas.com/returns

Regardless, your PX-512M3S is still covered against any hardware defects for 5 years from the original purchase date. Also, please be sure to contact our technical support center for assistance with any technical issues that you may have. For Mac OSX, Apple has decided to not include support for any hardware which has not been Mac certified. This includes, but is not limited to, the option to enable TRIM, which can affect your SSD's performance. Please click on the link below for instructions on getting around this."

BTW...I didn't receive the drive until the 14th of Feb.

Edited by swalsh2333, 01 March 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#12 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Enabling TRIM is a pretty easy fix:

http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322

That shouldn't affect your short-term performance though.. that is more about maintain performance under certain long-term situations.

#13 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

I guess Plextor doesn't know the lifetime value of a customer? :(

IMO this info. should be CLEARLY stated every where so Mac customers do not enclounter the situation that you did. It's bad business to not clearly highlight this info. prior to sale IMO.

Edited by Beenthere, 01 March 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#14 swalsh2333

swalsh2333

• 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

I guess Plextor doesn't know the lifetime value of a customer? :(

IMO this info. should be CLEARLY stated every where so Mac customers do not enclounter the situation that you did. It's bad business to not clearly highlight this info. prior to sale IMO.

Amen! When you advertise a product, list specs on that product, say that product is Mac compatible, why should you have to think that those specs don't apply to that product. Don't they have an obligation?? And then after a legitimate buyer brings that to your attention you would think they would do the ethical thing and make the info that they have readily available, available to the general public. Unless your intentions is to decieve the public, get the product into the hands on the consumer and then hide behind your return policy which shouldn't apply to false advertising. The drive isn't defective, I didn't just change my mind, I simply want what I thought I paid for. Whats this world coming to. :)

#15 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

^^^ In fact the Federal Trade Commission may require any mfg. to post notice such that the Mac has different technical performance specifications than what is being advertised? I'd certainly check with the FTC to see if this is a requirement in the U.S.

#16 swalsh2333

swalsh2333

• 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

^^^ In fact the Federal Trade Commission may require any mfg. to post notice such that the Mac has different technical performance specifications than what is being advertised? I'd certainly check with the FTC to see if this is a requirement in the U.S.

WOW! Very interesting. When I have a minute or two I will do some research. To me this is really no different then the class action lawsuit that Honda Motor is facing for advertising gas mileage specs on their Civic Hybrids that apparently weren't true. If a company advertises specs, the consumer should be able to duplicate those specs under the same conditions. You shouldn't be told oh sorry those specs don't apply to you and there is nothing we're going to do to make it right. "Sorry.....you bought the product......can't help you now"

Thanks again for your feedback.

#17 cyberstorm

cyberstorm

• 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

What Plextor told me was that certain manufacturers that aren't Mac certified are not able to take advanatage of all of the features. Please read Plextors response below.

"Scott, although the RMA has been created, it appears that your return request is past the 14 day grace period which would disqualify you for a refund. According to your invoice, the purchase was made on the 3rd of this month and the date on your initial email in regards to this issue is 2/23/2012. Please click on the link below for our full return policy.

http://shop.plextora...cas.com/returns

Regardless, your PX-512M3S is still covered against any hardware defects for 5 years from the original purchase date. Also, please be sure to contact our technical support center for assistance with any technical issues that you may have. For Mac OSX, Apple has decided to not include support for any hardware which has not been Mac certified. This includes, but is not limited to, the option to enable TRIM, which can affect your SSD's performance. Please click on the link below for instructions on getting around this."

BTW...I didn't receive the drive until the 14th of Feb.

Just to trow my 2 cents into the mix about your situation.

I dont know the exact rules for your country, but irregardless of what a customer representative says, they must follow the law in the country you bought it. For me, Denmark, we have a full 14 days return policy, from the day we received it, not the day we ordered it.

So, if I had been in your shoes, my response would have sounded something like the following (maybe a bit overdramatized, but to get the idea):

Dear Plextor,
I have received your letter, and apparantly, you have refused to refund the drive, as it does not perform to the specs advertized.
I will have to remind you, that the law in Denmark qualifies for a 14 days full refund, from the day I received the drive (14.02.2012), and today 23.02.2012 is clearly within that bound.

If you still refuse to follow the law, I will have no recourse, than to send the drive back, and make a report to the police and bank, for criminal fraud, and then backtransfer any and all monies paid to your company.

If I hear anything but 'YES, SIR', (and allow a RMA for a full refund) the above will be set in motion.

Regards.

For this to work, you obviously have to have used a credit card. Banks can transfer funds back, and Banks do file a report with local police authorities regarding matters of fraud. You normally have a 2month grace period, from the day the money were removed from your account.

Hope you get it resolved, because it really sucks to be at the mercy of a company that isnt treating you well.

Best regards : cyberstorm

Edited by cyberstorm, 20 March 2012 - 04:26 AM.

#18 swalsh2333

swalsh2333

• 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Just to trow my 2 cents into the mix about your situation.

I dont know the exact rules for your country, but irregardless of what a customer representative says, they must follow the law in the country you bought it. For me, Denmark, we have a full 14 days return policy, from the day we received it, not the day we ordered it.

So, if I had been in your shoes, my response would have sounded something like the following (maybe a bit overdramatized, but to get the idea):

For this to work, you obviously have to have used a credit card. Banks can transfer funds back, and Banks do file a report with local police authorities regarding matters of fraud. You normally have a 2month grace period, from the day the money were removed from your account.

Hope you get it resolved, because it really sucks to be at the mercy of a company that isnt treating you well.

Best regards : cyberstorm

In my last correspondence to them via e-mail I explained to how I felt and said I was going to dispute the charges through Visa and they never even responded. It was clear to me they weren't going to do anything. Thanks for the comments. I'm going to cut and paste your response on my next dispute. :)

Edited by swalsh2333, 20 March 2012 - 11:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users