• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

To help put some concerns to rest and help answer some questions we had about the performance and longevity of consumer SSDs, we decided to do some before/after tests of the Patriot Wildfire SSD... after 270TB written.

SSD Performance Review - 270TB Written

#2 mike2h

mike2h

• 258 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

tyvm! answerd quite few questions for me. looks like the average consumer(me) really doesnt have much to worry about for years past warranty with a good ssd.
i assume that more agressive over provision would lengthen life & performance? also the difference between 2x nand & 32 nand cycles seems pretty big -though not as much as it use to given the results of the test- wonder how the top tier 2x nand that inte uses in their new 520 compares to 2x nand used in other drives. i guess what im asking is does the top tier intle nand have the same write cycles as 'lower tier' 2x nand. & is there really much(if any) difference between intel vs toshiba & samsung top 2x nand.

another question- do partions affect ssd performance & reliability/durability in anyway?

Edited by mike2h, 28 February 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

When you mention partitions are you talking about setting up like 90GB on a 120GB SSD, and leaving the rest unused? If that is the case, than it makes a massive difference. Look at the difference when the drives were over-provisioned.

http://www.storagere...terprise_review

#4 mike2h

mike2h

• 258 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

well, i was planning on over prov. didnt have a clue it had that much effect on pefrormance, was just considering durability. thx for the info.
i usually have a hd for c drive a nother for game & yet another for storage. for me that isnt finacially viable withh ssd especially when i can generally get better perf from one large ssd(180-256 gig) than a 120 & seperate 64 ssd. for about the same price.
so, i want t oget 1 lrg ssd & partition it into a sys partiton & a partition for games. i like having then seperate for file management/backup purposes but if the partion is going to have any sort of neg impact then i can live wiht the single partiton.

#5 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 735 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

The bottom line of your article "don't worry about performance degradation on SF2281 SSDs" is valid. However, for my taste the results are way too mixed and contradicting. I'd rather believe that a firmware difference caused them than the NAND wear.

If I were you I'd bite into the grape fruit and do it the science way: switch back to the old firmware (if possible..) and repeat the tests.

MrS

#6 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

It doesn't look like 3.1.9 is available (not surprising given it was the shipping firmware). 3.2.0 though is, and I was able to downgrade the drive. Did another secure erase on it and going to put it through the same benchmarks to see where it stands.

And yes I agree the firmware consistency would have been great, but we went through upgrading all of our SF-2x00 SSDs months ago when the bluescreen error was patched and it had to be stable for the tests to be able to work this long. The main point of this test though was showing the performance still stands after more than 3x the stated TBW of the drive.

#7 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 735 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Sounds like the best you can do - good work :)

MrS

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

We are working toward more robust tests that are designed to test endurance and performance near end of life...stay tuned.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users