• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

In our review of the SanDisk Extreme SSD we were actually surprised by the extremely fast low-queue depth 4K read speeds and high-queue depth 4K random write speeds from this drive.

SanDisk Extreme SSD Review

#2 Garfield_the_Cat

Garfield_the_Cat

• 67 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for adding the Samsung 830 and the Plextor drive to the charts!

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Not a problem ;)

#4 h4lf

h4lf

• 24 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the review. Is a SanDisk X100 incoming too? :)

To be a bit more critical however, I'm really not sure the new vertical bar graphs are a step forward. I think horizontal bars (as before) and like: http://techreport.co...icles.x/22470/5 would improve clarity. The problem with the old SR format (http://www.storagere...30_review_256gb) IMHO was the labelling. I suggest:
1) move drive labels next to the bars
2) use legend only to distinguish between say "read" or "write" and use a pattern (e.g. diagonal lines)
3) colour code bars according to controller, but use some outer glow or slightly darker colour shade to highlight the drive(s) currently being compared/evaluated

To go into more details, I think figures like http://www.storagere...mbtest_fast.png are silly. Instead it should be a single consolidated graph with horizontal bars. To that end I suggest:
1) vertical axis should be labelled with categories, "sequential", "random 4K", "random 512K"
2) use legend only to distinguish between say "read" or "write" and use a pattern (e.g. diagonal lines)

For the IOMeter graphs, I think the style is already great, but could be improved by:
1) making the legend to use columns so it spreads wider rather than taller
2) using the freed vertical space to increase the vertical height of the graph and then make the lines clearer with greater separation

I assume you have scripts in place to automatically generate all the graphs so I would expect such changes should not be too difficult ;)

Anyway, please don't take my suggestions as an attack, I love what you guys are doing and so everything is IMHO only.

#5 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yup no offense taken, we'll run some ideas past our art director and see if he can make some tweaks. Always striving to get close to perfection ;)

#6 OscarCK

OscarCK

• 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Suddenly I got a lil bit confused with the Random and Repeating transfer rates, from looking around I understood that uncompressed data is the Repeating data and compressed data is the Random data, but where I got really confused was that almost everyone wrote that videos and music are usually the Random data or compressed. My question is, when I'm recording uncompressed & RAW video, with an external video recorder, will I be able to record at ≃470MB/s, which is just about the speed I need or am I going to need a drive that is good at Random data?

Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users