Fastest most reliable SSDs for RAID0?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AT0MAC

AT0MAC

• 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

A question: If I want to give my Mac Mini a SSD RAID0 array in the area between 480-512GB (2x240 or 2x256), wich SATA3 disc is the fastest and most reliable for everyday use?

We are talking the newest 2011 i7 Mac Mini build to order version, not quad core server.
Music makes people listen

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'd lean toward the Intel SSD 520, though the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS will be cheaper and generally delivers the same performance. They're the fastest two drives around.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

While you probably can't actually tell the difference in normal use between any of the second gen SSDs, almost nothing is known about SSD reliability other than every major SSD supplier seems to have issues of one sort or another with compatibility or reliability resulting in lost data, BSOD, reduced drive capacity, chronic rebooting, RMAs, numerous firmware updates and a Helleva lot of user frustration.

Not everyone has had these issues yet, but many have so it's very difficult at this time to recommend any consumer grade SSD if data security is important. AnandTech stated that consumers should wait 6-12 months to see if the SSD makers sort out the Bugs. These consumer grade SSDs are a work in progress and as "new tech", not well sorted before being released for sale. :(

#4 AT0MAC

AT0MAC

• 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:23 AM

I'd lean toward the Intel SSD 520, though the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS will be cheaper and generally delivers the same performance. They're the fastest two drives around.

When I started lookin I found the Samsung 830 to be very interesting, because of the performance and the price combination. The Intel is also very very interesting, but here on Denmark its almost 1/3 more expensive than the Samsung, is it also 1/3 more reliable and faster?

The OCZ looks good yes, but I'm not sure I trust the brand, what do other say about their reliability?

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

The Samsung is a good drive but it's not as fast as the other two, you have to find a spot on the speed/price continuum that makes sense to you.

There's a good deal of debate about OCZ, but the Vertex 3 has been in the market for a very long time at this point. I feel good about it's quality.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

When I started lookin I found the Samsung 830 to be very interesting, because of the performance and the price combination. The Intel is also very very interesting, but here on Denmark its almost 1/3 more expensive than the Samsung, is it also 1/3 more reliable and faster?

The OCZ looks good yes, but I'm not sure I trust the brand, what do other say about their reliability?

I believe OCZ is on firmware update Version 15 for the Vertex 3 SSD?

http://www.ocztechno....com/ssd_tools/

Samsung 830 firmware updates too...

http://www.anandtech...ixes-bsod-issue

#7 AT0MAC

AT0MAC

• 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

Beside choosing what discs to use, is there any problems in making RAID0 with SSDs?
I'm thinking if they are depleted/giving more errors faster than a single SSD would be and what about speed increase - is it close to double speed or is it just a little extra you gain over time when the discs start to fill up?

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

You lose TRIM, at least for now, but Intel's working on that.

In many areas the speeds are almost double, but if you check any of our RAID reviews you'll see the benefits in over areas are more like 10%. Really depends on how you're going to use them as to how much benefit you'll see.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#9 AT0MAC

AT0MAC

• 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

You lose TRIM, at least for now, but Intel's working on that.

After you posted I took a google trip and saw you are completely right.
Thats not cool :(
If I end up buying two 240GB Intel 520 drives, do you think they will be able to get an update when RST for RAID0 is ready or should I wait to buy when a new version with the tech baked in is ready?

Those two drives don't come cheap so I love the advice I am getting here.

#10 AT0MAC

AT0MAC

• 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Looking around a little bit more and I found a review that actually focus on these drives setup in RAID0 and how garbage collection instead of TRIM makes them perform.

Link to test
(sorry to say it's not a Storage Review test)

Also, I like their end sentence in the review:
"Sure RAID 0 costs more than most people spend on a whole system but if you have the cash, why not go for it?" :P

#11 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

The brand of SSD won't matter when Intel eventually supports TRIM in RAID0. GC works on all drives, not the same thing as TRIM. If you're real worried about it, you can do a secure erase in a year and start fresh again.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#12 nightwatch

nightwatch

• 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

I would buy two Sumsung 830 240Gbs for an internal RAID 0 (soft raid) and use an external HDD for a TM backup. GC will work just fine. You'll see 800MB/s + r/w speeds and be happy. The 830s do great with incompressiable data and GC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users