• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

Going off the beaten path for the client-based Intel SSD 520, we take a look at its performance in an enterprise environment.

Intel SSD 520 Enterprise Review

#2 arklab

arklab

• 21 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

Going off the beaten path for the client-based Intel SSD 520, we take a look at its performance in an enterprise environment.

Intel SSD 520 Enterprise Review

Nice review, BUT ...
While I assume the performance difference between the 120GB version (which I've already ordered) and the reviewed 240GB are about typical for Sandforce 22xx drives, no one has yet checked the unique 180GB!

Any chance you could check one out?
It seems to offer the 240GB performance for less cash, but are there any other "hick-ups"?

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

Just 60GB less capacity. We can endeavor to get one, but we're often limited to what each vendor provides.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 Surlias

Surlias

• 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

To overprovision, would I just create a smaller primary partition (using, say, DISKPART), rather than creating a partition to occupy the total available space? A 192GB partition being a 20% overprovision in the case of the Intel 520 240GB, as you stated in the article? I ask because that seems too obvious and simple, haha.

However it is accomplished, the article definitely seems to indicate that you'd have to be pretty hard up for space not to implement a 20% OP. I'm thinking about getting one of these drives, and if I do I will certainly OP. Or would there be no discernible performance difference in a client setting?

Edited by Surlias, 06 April 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#5 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

You can do it one of a few ways. The easiest would be installing windows for example, and only using a fraction of the available space leaving the rest as free unpartitioned area.

#6 Surlias

Surlias

• 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

And as far as improved performance in a client setting goes?

#7 Surlias

Surlias

• 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hmm, I guess I misunderstood what a "client" SSD is. I was thinking by "client", you were referring to what an average user might do with it, such as productivity and gaming.

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

Right, client = consumer.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users