• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

We reviewed the updated My Book Live NAS from WD dubbed the Live Duo, now supporting two drives and RAID1.

Western Digital My Book Live Duo Review

#2 Tim Graham

Tim Graham

• 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:34 AM

We reviewed the updated My Book Live NAS from WD dubbed the Live Duo, now supporting two drives and RAID1.

Western Digital My Book Live Duo Review

Any idea what server software is built into it?
Is it Twonky or something similar?

Can it read/parse iTunes playlists and serve them to DLNA/UPNP devices?
This question has nothing to do with the so called iTunes server which is useless.

The only decent server that works flawlessly is PS3 server. I wish you could install it on a NAS.

Cheers for any replies

Tim

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

It sounds like it uses Twonky, although not entirely sure which version on the My Book Live Duo. Some mention it is 5.1.19 on the original live... so it should be that or newer on the Duo.

#4 Quix

Quix

• 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the nice review. Do you know if the My Book Live Duo can be used as a print server as well? I have a USB printer.

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

To my knowledge even though it has a USB port, it does not support printers. Thing is, if you have a wireless network in your housse anyway, which you would in order to use this product, the router most likely supports USB printers, so you have an option there.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 app

app

• 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'm in the market for home NAS and this product reads well. A couple of questions:
1. No on-off switch - a dumb question but what does this really mean? Does the software provide a safe shutdown?
2. No USB3 - not covered in the cons but what does this mean for the home user?

Thanks for your help.

app

#7 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

The software does allow for a sake shutdown, but its a con that doesnt matter much for a home NAS. They sit plugged in for their entire life, being switched off infrequently. If it had one, great, but without one most people probably wouldn't notice.

No USB 3.0 is an impact for backups and adding on additional storage. Using USB 2.0 for add-on drives means your transfer speeds to and from that drive will be pegged at ~30MB/s instead of the transfer limit of the device itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users