• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

In this review we look at the latest Secure Hard Drive from Lenovo underneath the ThinkPad line. Sporting USB 3.0 and a 750GB internally shock-mounted HDD, this external drive encrypts data on the fly without impacting user transfer speeds.

Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Secure Hard Drive Review

#2 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

Still a very cool product and now even faster with USB 3.0. SSD might have been a nice option but I don't think it will look good if it takes you longer to remember/find your secure password then to transfer the files :P

BTW, how long will we have to wait for a giveaway or did the secure hdd have to go back to Lenovo? :D

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hah - it didn't go back yet. We'll see about handing one out to you guys.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 Nihility

Nihility

• 37 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:22 AM

Nice elegant drive.

I couldn't find any pricing information in the review?

What's the longest key code it can accept?

Would have been nice to see some HD Tune results to see performance across the whole drive.
Does the drive get hot after writing to it for a very long time?
What about power usage?

Maybe Storage Review could do a feature about how encryption affects performance? Testing several solutions like True Crypt and the built in Windows 7 encryption and testing both an SSD and an HDD.

#5 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:57 AM

So the used Toshiba is a standard non self-encrypting drive, means there is separate electronics inside the case? Crack it open, please ;-)

#6 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

Nice elegant drive.

I couldn't find any pricing information in the review?

What's the longest key code it can accept?

Would have been nice to see some HD Tune results to see performance across the whole drive.
Does the drive get hot after writing to it for a very long time?
What about power usage?

Maybe Storage Review could do a feature about how encryption affects performance? Testing several solutions like True Crypt and the built in Windows 7 encryption and testing both an SSD and an HDD.

Looking through the PDF manual, the longest key is 16 digits. Passwords must be between 8 and 16 digits long for both users and the admin.

During our benchmarks and leaving it plugged in, it barely went above room temp. The case does a pretty good job of shedding heat and the drive itself is pretty low power.

I could measure the power of the drive itself to give you an idea of what it uses, but we don't have a rig to measure USB power load just yet.

#7 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

So the used Toshiba is a standard non self-encrypting drive, means there is separate electronics inside the case? Crack it open, please ;-)

The drive inside is a Toshiba MK7575GSX:
http://storage.toshi...p?productid=415

which apparently doesn't do FDE, so I'm guessing its handled by the initio inic-3607 controller it uses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users