• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

The OWC Mercury Elite Dual Mini is a two-bay portable RAID enclosure that supports RAID0/1 along with span and independent drive modes. The rock-solid aluminum body is barely larger than two stacked CD jewel cases and houses two 2.5" hard drives or SSDs. The array of interface options makes the bus-powered mobile RAID accessible via FireWire 800, FireWire 400, eSATA and USB 2.0.

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual Mini Review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

The lack of USB 3 is not cool. Other than that I like it because it the same size as a small network switch and the hard drives inside are a lot more durable than a desktop drive, and quieter and less heat.
Can It support 12.5mm thick drives and drives larger than 2TB?
Does it come with a wall wart for power?

Edited by danwat1234, 02 December 2011 - 04:36 PM.

#3 Nihility

Nihility

• 37 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

Really surprised to see that it doesn't have USB 3.0 support.

Especially when you need a power adapter (or firewire) to be able to use eSATA. Furthermore, it seems that this enclosure is capable of saturating eSATA at 250 MB/s while USB 3 should be able to go up to 400 MB/s (I don't know if that RAID controller can handle it).

A few gripes with the review:
  • You don't mention which interface you are using for the tests (although it is obvious that it's eSATA just because the other options are too slow).
  • No performance graphs?
  • Temperatures. Does the enclosure get hot under heavy use?

Besides that, I really liked the review.

I am a bit surprised to hear that USB 2.0 can power 2 drives. I thought even a single SSD or low power 2.5" HDD would require the maximum power output of a standard USB 2.0 port.

Edited by Nihility, 02 December 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#4 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

Given the target to Apple computers its not surprising it didn't have USB3. That said no matter what devices we have reviewed using USB3, nothing has gone over 200MB/s through our ASUS P8P67 chipset.

You are completely right about skipping over the interface... added that it was over eSATA in the review. We are trying to keep it as close to fastest as possible and eSATA fits that bill.

Temperatures were pretty mild given the aluminum case always shedding heat into the air, never got above mildly warm.

#5 Nihility

Nihility

• 37 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

Maybe the ASUS P8P67 only as 1 PCI-E lane allocated to USB 3.0? That would limit it pretty harshly.
It may also be a bottleneck in many other places. Personally, I haven't seen USB 3.0 go above 160 MB/s. But I don't have access to RAID 0 enclosures.

It's a shame that Apple isn't supporting USB 3.0. Especially when thunderbolt is so expensive to implement.

Edit:
I'll add that it's also a shame that Intel doesn't support USB 3.0 natively in the current chipsets.

Edited by Nihility, 02 December 2011 - 06:41 PM.

#6 mike2h

mike2h

• 259 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:44 AM

The lack of USB 3 is not cool. Other than that I like it because it the same size as a small network switch and the hard drives inside are a lot more durable than a desktop drive, and quieter and less heat.
Can It support 12.5mm thick drives and drives larger than 2TB?
Does it come with a wall wart for power?

power supply is optional- meaning u dont get one.
as was stated above this is designed & built for the mac crowd. think that is probaly not the best decision for sales, but what do i know.

Edited by mike2h, 03 December 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#7 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

And this device has been out a while, perhaps they'll bump it up to USB3 next time around. We're finally seeing more adoption of USB 3 in NAS units and other devices of this type.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#8 nucleya

nucleya

• 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

The OWC Mercury Elite Dual Mini is a two-bay portable RAID enclosure that supports RAID0/1 along with span and independent drive modes. The rock-solid aluminum body is barely larger than two stacked CD jewel cases and houses two 2.5" hard drives or SSDs. The array of interface options makes the bus-powered mobile RAID accessible via FireWire 800, FireWire 400, eSATA and USB 2.0.

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual Mini Review

Hi, i am new here. i bought OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual Mini, and i have configured it to work in independent drive mode, i wanted to know in case of a harddrive failure, will i be able to recover my data?

thanks

Nucleya : nucleya@gmail.com

#9 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

You're accessing each drive independently? If so, there's no redundancy.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users