• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

Seagate has announced their second generation solid state hybrid drive (SSHD), the Momentus XT 750GB with FAST Factor. The new Momentus XT adds 250GB of total capacity over the first-generation XT as well as double the cache NAND, going from 4GB to 8GB of SLC NAND. Seagate is perhaps most enthusiastic though about what they're calling FAST Factor technology; a series of on-board software enhancements that give the new Momentus XT an extra performance kick. These new SSHDs boast fast speeds in single drive configuration, which gets really interesting when you pair two in RAID0 as we'll show in this review.

Read Full Review

#2 refi

refi

• 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:53 AM

i'm a long-time reader, first-time poster. i love this idea of an all-in-one, simple hybrid hdd+nand solution.

but, i have some questions and observations:

1) $245. why soooo expensive? 8gb nand is $15 adder on top of $100 hdd = $115, right? :o
2) at this price, it seems like it should be compared against ssd, instead than hdd. :unsure:
3) better yet, can you compare it to synapse/dataplex which seems to hit about the same price point but 4x cache size? :rolleyes:
4) with the doubling of cache size and improvement in the caching algorithms, why does the 2nd gen momentus xt only achieved "13.1% overall system performance bump and a 38% storage specific improvement" :blink:
5) how does fast write work? what is the impact on performance? endurance? :ph34r:

thank u for a very informative and detailed review! great job.

#3 Vampire

Vampire

• 36 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:13 AM

The price will drop to $225 when hard drive shortages are fixed.

This drive will work 10+ years with no problems. Don't worry about endurance.

Edited by Vampire, 29 November 2011 - 06:15 AM.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

i'm a long-time reader, first-time poster. i love this idea of an all-in-one, simple hybrid hdd+nand solution.

but, i have some questions and observations:

1) $245. why soooo expensive? 8gb nand is $15 adder on top of $100 hdd = $115, right? :o
2) at this price, it seems like it should be compared against ssd, instead than hdd. :unsure:
3) better yet, can you compare it to synapse/dataplex which seems to hit about the same price point but 4x cache size? :rolleyes:
4) with the doubling of cache size and improvement in the caching algorithms, why does the 2nd gen momentus xt only achieved "13.1% overall system performance bump and a 38% storage specific improvement" :blink:
5) how does fast write work? what is the impact on performance? endurance? :ph34r:

thank u for a very informative and detailed review! great job.

1) SLC is more expensive that that, but not $100 more expensive
2) Not a bad point, but it's the capacity that's an issue for SSDs.
3) We're going to do some more caching work soon and will include all solutions.
4) That's just one benchmark that's synthetic, we put more weight on our real world traces.
5) Not sure since it's not out yet...

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 mike2h

mike2h

• 258 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

great concept & nice performer. think the price needs to be in the $175-$200 range for it be anything other than a niche product tho. course wont have any chance of that till after hd production is ramped back up.

#6 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 639 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

The price is high, but it is in time for Christmas, so people may be willing to spend more(splurge a bit).

Seagate's marketing also put some videos of boot time comparisons/application launching times on their youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ-9eOQnzTQ
Momentus XT 750GB vs. stock SSD and 5400RPM drive in MacBook Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXHNVsPdLYI
Momentus XT 750GB vs. an Intel SSD(maybe X-25) and a 7200-RPM drive in a Dell 15Z

Other video
Momentus XT 750GB vs. the 10K SATA Drive in a Dell Desktop Optiplex

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#7 mike2h

mike2h

• 258 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

to tell the truth, if it was cheaoer i would get it for my(delayed until jan) new comp build. i use my comp for gaming & surfing the internet & the occasional movie backup. already got a samsung 470 64 gig hd for gaming hd & 150gig raptor for storage, so this would work very good with my uses(this is probably true for most). problem is price, for that kinda money i can get a 120gig ssd and seeing as how my c drive usually varies between 65-80 gig would be a lot of wasted space.
wonder how parttions work with the xt?

#8 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 740 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

Partitions shoulnd't matter, it should cache them all.

MrS

#9 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 134 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

will 2nd gen come in 500Gb /1TB capacities?

#10 dhanson865

dhanson865

• 174 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXHNVsPdLYI
Momentus XT 750GB vs. an Intel SSD(maybe X-25) and a 7200-RPM drive in a Dell 15Z

It says it's a Intel 320 SSD at 1:46 or thereabouts.

#11 dhanson865

dhanson865

• 174 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

I wonder if the XT 750GB would work with systems that have problems with the XT 250/320/500 and firmware SD28 and below. See http://forums.storag...ate-discussion/

#12 Vampire

Vampire

• 36 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:16 AM

Check this one : {the 10 000 rpm still very good}

Things will change with Windows 8 new fast boot system.

Edited by Vampire, 30 November 2011 - 07:17 AM.

#13 refi

refi

• 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:30 AM

Things will change with Windows 8 new fast boot system.

what do you mean by "change"? will 10k drive get faster? or vice versa? what does windows 8 have to do with things? :unsure:

#14 refi

refi

• 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

1) SLC is more expensive that that, but not $100 more expensive
2) Not a bad point, but it's the capacity that's an issue for SSDs.
3) We're going to do some more caching work soon and will include all solutions.
4) That's just one benchmark that's synthetic, we put more weight on our real world traces.
5) Not sure since it's not out yet...

aaaah, i missed that its slc. why go with slc if its just read caching?

#15 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

I think they will update the firmware to do write caching.

Anyway, with just read caching, the drive will often write to the cache to store new data that it thinks will be frequently accessed soon.

#16 mike2h

mike2h

• 258 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

what do you mean by "change"? will 10k drive get faster? or vice versa? what does windows 8 have to do with things? :unsure:

because win8 itself is supposed to boot faster than win7.

#17 mike2h

mike2h

• 258 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

because of the amount of writes. slc is considerably more durable than mlc. & faster i believe.

#18 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

because of the amount of writes. slc is considerably more durable than mlc. & faster i believe.

Right. The cache is perpetually being written to, so they need something with more endurance.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#19 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 740 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

will 2nd gen come in 500Gb /1TB capacities?

This is 2nd gen. 500 GB platters may have to wait for 3rd gen, or at least I haven't heard of anything else. The current drives with 2.5" 500 GB platters seem to have trouble with the density even at 5400 rpm, which manifests itself in significantly slower writes than reads and unusually high random write access times. If I were Seagate I'd want to update the XT as soon as these problems get sorted out.

MrS

#20 Vampire

Vampire

• 36 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

because win8 itself is supposed to boot faster than win7.

No.

10k will get slower vs hybrid ones on windows 8 vs windows 7.

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-Momentus/SSD-vs-Hybrid-Issues-Benchmarking-Hybrid-Drives-and-Defrag/td-p/133034

On windows 8 Hybrid Hard Disks will do better then now.
It's all about "tricks" in the OS. Read the info in the link.

Edited by Vampire, 05 December 2011 - 06:24 PM.

#21 mike2h

mike2h

• 258 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:28 PM

actually i am correct. everytime ms talks about win8 its faster OVERALL boot time comes up. regardless of hd.
but i get your point. assuming it actually works out that way.

#22 Vampire

Vampire

• 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:16 AM

actually i am correct. everytime ms talks about win8 its faster OVERALL boot time comes up. regardless of hd.
but i get your point. assuming it actually works out that way.

It's not my point of view, it's Seagate official statement. Just read the link info. Seagate is working with Microsoft in order to make their hybrid drives perform much better on windows 8.

And one more thing. It doesn't really matter who is correct and who is not. Although it's obvious Seagate is right and everybody else is wrong when discussing their internal projects.

Edited by Vampire, 06 December 2011 - 06:18 AM.

#23 Axl

Axl

Lifelong Reader

• Patron
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

I'm not sure why, but I've been using the Windows 8 Dev Preview for a week or so, and I don't see it (yet) booting any faster than Windows 7. It appears to be Windows 7 with the Start Menu removed and replaced with Windows Phone tiles, which are pretty useless to someone with a keyboard, mouse, and large monitor. I'm certainly not intending to turn this into a M$ OS discussion; just saying that so far, it's truly impossible to believe that M$ has improved on Win7 in any way with Win8.

#24 mike2h

mike2h

• 258 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

It's not my point of view, it's Seagate official statement. Just read the link info. Seagate is working with Microsoft in order to make their hybrid drives perform much better on windows 8.

And one more thing. It doesn't really matter who is correct and who is not. Although it's obvious Seagate is right and everybody else is wrong when discussing their internal projects.

if u had read my post u would have seen that i said- "i get your point"- meaning i agree with what your saying. nothing there about POV. never said you or seagate was wrong or even implied it. my point was that i have seen lots of stuff like this over the years, some of it implements well, some of it doesnt. hence- "assuming it actually works out that way"- which will be great if it does.
not sure why u would interpret my post as some sort of attack. wasnt. u brought good info was just giving my pov on the issue. no worries.

#25 Vampire

Vampire

• 36 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

The price will drop to $225 when hard drive shortages are fixed.

This drive will work 10+ years with no problems. Don't worry about endurance.

The price right now is : $229.99.

http://www.seagate.c...omentus-xt-kit/

It may drop a little more as time goes on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users