• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

OWC makes the only MacBook Air SSD replacements, which offer tremendous performance improvements especially with the latest generation MacBook Air which can leverage the benefits of the SATA 6Gb/s interface. To help upgraders get some use out of their stock SSD, OWC released adaptations of two of their 2.5" drive enclosures. We tested the Mercury On-The-Go and enjoyed its sleek design, but for those who want more interface options and the benefits of an all aluminum body, the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Mini has a ton to offer.

Read Full Review

#2 mike2h

mike2h

• 258 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

great idea & price if combined purchase option is used. i dont get the 2 firewire ports tho.. & it looks like the could have easily made it not much wider than their interface board with only i firewire & doubling up on something else.

#3 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 635 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

The 2 fireWire ports are used for a Daisy Chain. It can be used to connect multiple external hard drives with FireWire.

Not needing extra FireWire ports on the computer is a good way to justify some of the "bulk".

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#4 mike2h

mike2h

• 258 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

thx for info.
wouldnt that slow things down tho if more than one device was being accessed? only so much bandwidth available. in this case i think i would prefer smaller vs expandabilty. cool concept tho.

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,156 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

There would be response time decreases if you're accessing multiple drives that are daisy chained, depending on their speeds.

The case could be much skinier but that's not what OWC was trying to do, they're just adapting their current 2.5" cases.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the review!

It might be useful to test USB 3.0, since folks who own both Mac + non-Apple machines could potentially get some great use out of this.

I hope OWC or someone else makes a roll-your-own enclosure to clone the functionality of Momentus XT, possibly with the MacBook Air SSD sticks (since they have such a small form factor). If Seagate can do it on the PCB of a drive, why not in a 2.5" external enclosure? Better yet, one that fits in the optical bay (since there's more space than necessary for a 2.5" HDD).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users