• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

With the price of platter based hard drives as low as they are (under normal conditions) and the price of solid state drives still relatively high, the concept of hybrid storage solutions; combining the low price of platter based storage with the speed of solid state drives, will become increasingly common. We are going to break down two different approaches for a hybrid storage setup; hardware-based and software-based implementations.

Read Full Article

#2 rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

• 24 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

With the price of platter based hard drives as low as they are (under normal conditions) and the price of solid state drives still relatively high, the concept of hybrid storage solutions; combining the low price of platter based storage with the speed of solid state drives, will become increasingly common. We are going to break down two different approaches for a hybrid storage setup; hardware-based and software-based implementations.

Read Full Article

I'm getting by very well with my vertex 2 for apps and docs on my desktop. media and any other large files are on normal hdds.

i'd definitely not pay more for a caching solution as I think benefits would be limited.

on a laptop - so long as i could replace the dvd drive with a hdd and have the main drive as ssd then again i'd be fine with that.

appreciate there are other usage models but dont think i'm particularly unique either.

Edited by rtrtrtrt, 04 November 2011 - 08:25 PM.

#3 mike2h

mike2h

• 258 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

great article. nice to have that info (rec's) on one page. ty!

#4 Noli

Noli

• 25 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

"For laptops there are few options. The first is the Momentus XT, which will work in almost any laptop that has an existing 2.5 hard drive. The second option is using the OCZ Synapse cache and pairing it to a secondary drive, although this does require a laptop like the ThinkPad W520 that supports two 2.5-inch drives or one 2.5-inch drive and an mSATA slot."

I know some people still need them but I prefer laptops without DVD drives as they suck power and I rarely need them (can always use a USB drive when you have to...). What I only found out recently is that if you google or ebay around you can often find 2.5" HDD enclosure drive bays that replace and slot straight into a laptop's optical drive bay. This naturally provides the 2nd bay you're looking for so you can have SSD + HDD or SSD caching HDD. Much more useful than an optical drive imho....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users