• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

This past spring Seagate started shipping the 3TB Barracuda XT (review) which was a pretty solid offering. Seagate quickly followed up that release with an announcement that a new 3TB Barracuda XT would feature three 1TB platters instead of the five 600GB platters seen in the first version. Seagate's about a quarter late in delivering the new 1TB platter technology, but sometimes new technology is better late than never...especially when top line sequential read and write speeds top 190 MB/s, an improvement thanks to the new platters of 30%.

Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB Review (1TB Platters - ST3000DM001)

#2 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:41 AM

With 1TB WD black drives jumping in price from $75 to $200+ in two weeks, it's scary to imagine how much this one will cost now.

#3 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 713 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

Yeah, current prices are totally through the roof. However, I think "whets our appetite" fits pretty much here. I can only wonder what WD could do with 1 TB platters. That could finally be a worthy upgrade to my WD640 Blue.. especially since it's constantly filled :P

MrS

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:11 AM

Yeah, it's hard to take the pricing too seriously right now, as MrS says, we'll use this time to reflect on the hard drive we want to buy in 6-9 months when things are normal again ;)

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

If prices of +200% keep up for more than 5 months, there is no way WD will survive 2012. Let alone the fact the WD can already forget about getting the deal approved by the EU commission on Nov. 30th.

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

I don't think the prices or their flooding problems will have any impact on the EU deal. WDC has agreed to concessions from what I can tell that will make the EU happy.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#7 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

I read the XT is now for the hybrid version, yet to be released.
Means the product you have reviewed should not have the XT label.
Can you correct that?

#8 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

I don't think the prices or their flooding problems will have any impact on the EU deal. WDC has agreed to concessions from what I can tell that will make the EU happy.

I doubt that. >200% price spike (which is nothing but artificial, considering old stock, and only 20% shortage) is just a little glimpse of what to come if the industry has only two players left. There is no reason for them not to prolong the 'shortage'. They've been dreaming about such opportunity for years. But we will see. I can't imagine the merger to be approved in such conditions, at least not until WD clean ups the mess and prices go back to where they belong.

#9 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

I read the XT is now for the hybrid version, yet to be released.
Means the product you have reviewed should not have the XT label.
Can you correct that?

That is not right, the hybrid will carry a different name, possibly Barracuda XTH or some such. Seagate hasn't updated us as to what the branding switch will look like.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#10 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

I doubt that. >200% price spike (which is nothing but artificial, considering old stock, and only 20% shortage) is just a little glimpse of what to come if the industry has only two players left. There is no reason for them not to prolong the 'shortage'. They've been dreaming about such opportunity for years. But we will see. I can't imagine the merger to be approved in such conditions, at least not until WD clean ups the mess and prices go back to where they belong.

There is no old stock, WDC said they had under 2 weeks inventory at the time of the flood. And 20% shortage? Did you read our piece on this? We're looking at 50% shortage or more in just this quarter.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#11 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

That is not right, the hybrid will carry a different name, possibly Barracuda XTH or some such. Seagate hasn't updated us as to what the branding switch will look like.

Hah, and to reply to myself, looks like Seagate it calling the drive by both names on their site...not the smoothest transition. All of the documentation they sent to us has XT on it.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#12 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

Hah, and to reply to myself, looks like Seagate it calling the drive by both names on their site...not the smoothest transition. All of the documentation they sent to us has XT on it.

Yes, it is confusing, but the drive label itself has no XT anymore, right?

#13 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

Yep, you are right about that.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#14 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Did you read our piece on this? We're looking at 50% shortage or more in just this quarter.

I did and I think your calculations are incorrect. You forgot to count in low demand (around -20%) this time of year and that only 60% of WD's production is affected. Seagate's operations in Thailand are not affected and Nidec's production is back online too. When you consider that you're getting closer to 20-30% max on global scale. Still, this shortage has little to do with absolutely indignating price gouging by retailers such as newegg & co, which is little short of criminal in nature.

PS. And by the way...

Seagate is the first to commercialize 1TB hard drive platters.

Hitachi was the first, with 1000.D line.

Edited by ChrisMcPole, 01 November 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#15 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 219 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

Typo .." easily saturating USB 3.0" ... I also think it has a 2 year warranty not 5.

#16 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

I did and I think your calculations are incorrect. You forgot to count in low demand (around -20%) this time of year and that only 60% of WD's production is affected. Seagate's operations in Thailand are not affected and Nidec's production is back online too. When you consider that you're getting closer to 20-30% max on global scale. Still, this shortage has little to do with absolutely indignating price gouging by retailers such as newegg & co, which is little short of criminal in nature.

PS. And by the way...

Hitachi was the first, with 1000.D line.

I'm going off the TAM numbers that Seagate and WD put out there as the market. Not sure why you think there's low demand, WD and Seagate don't agree. Seagate is affected due to lack of components. Toshiba is affected. Samsung doesn't make *that* many drives. The situation may be better than I presented, but I think it's worse than you expect.

HItachi..right, I forgot about that since they haven't sent us drives to test.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#17 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

I'm going off the TAM numbers that Seagate and WD put out there as the market. Not sure why you think there's low demand, WD and Seagate don't agree. Seagate is affected due to lack of components. Toshiba is affected. Samsung doesn't make *that* many drives. The situation may be better than I presented, but I think it's worse than you expect.

I would still disagree. WD is affected, but as I said Nidec's operations are back online for a number of days now. Seagate's factories are dry and now have very few problems with supply, considering most of their HDDs are made in China and factories are supplied locally. Toshiba... well, considering they are OEM and have little market share. Thus my figures of around 30% max globally still stand and are shared by other even more informed analysts, for instance - http://www.reuters.c...E79R66220111028

At the same time I realize that the situation is much worse primarily due to the absolutely illegal and criminal price gouging by major retailers and distributors. There is no need to prove it. It's a fact, admitted by many industry participants. A perfect example worth of serious investigation is newegg.com and their Canadian subsidiary. They still continue with price gouging and many other stores follow the case (1TB WD Black was 152 this Sunday, got to 210 Monday morning, and now it's 230 already). Such practices are well worth investigating by appropriate federal agencies and shall result in very heavy penalties. Finally, I'm convinced these price gouging activities will come back and bite WD in the butt on the 30th of this month. Not that they are directly responsible but they will reap the fruits of retailers' greed, big time.

Edited by ChrisMcPole, 02 November 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#18 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

... but as I said Nidec's operations are back online for a number of days now..

Bullcrap. They are in bad stinker as everybody else. Nidec in Rojana is totally drowned and will be for many many weeks. That plant alone made 20% of their output. Shifting to other locations will take time, even for them...
http://www.nidec.co....e/2011/1026.pdf

#19 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:31 AM

We've moved way off topic from the point of this thread - let's move conversation as to how Chris is wrong to this thread ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#20 tinkertank

tinkertank

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

The 1TB version is quite thin. It's on the left. A 2009 1TB Cuda is on the right.

Posted Image

#21 Atamido

Atamido

• 288 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

I've seen this model pop up several times in the past couple weeks in the $120 range, which makes it the cheapest 3TB drive around right now. It's good to see drive prices finally dropping down to (past) where they were over a year ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users