• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

OCZ recently announced availability of the 1TB RevoDrive Hybrid, which marries a 1TB 2.5" hard drive with a 100GB OCZ SSD and caching software to deliver SSD like speeds across the larger storage volume. The hybrid idea of course isn't new, Seagate's Momentus XT has shipped over one million units and there are several client and enterprise solutions that use a combination of hardware and software to accomplish similar goals. OCZ's going for simplicity though, a self-contained solution that is easy to set up and leverages the PCIe interface to deliver reads up to 910 MB/s, writes of 810 MB/s and 4KB random write IOPS of 120,000.

Read Full First Thoughts Review

#2 patpro

patpro

• 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

One more time, OCZ creates a windows (7) only solution, crippled by laziness. The hard part of the job is done by the host, using Dataplex software (from nvelo). Even the TRIM function seems to require an OCZ driver. How is that possible?
A true "no compromise" hybrid solution (as OCZ advertises its RevoDrive Hybrid)) would rely on an embedded processor for cache management, and would be driver free (ie. would use only what OS provides out of the box).

#3 mailmanners

mailmanners

• 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:10 AM

One more time, OCZ creates a windows (7) only solution, crippled by laziness. The hard part of the job is done by the host, using Dataplex software (from nvelo). Even the TRIM function seems to require an OCZ driver. How is that possible?
A true "no compromise" hybrid solution (as OCZ advertises its RevoDrive Hybrid)) would rely on an embedded processor for cache management, and would be driver free (ie. would use only what OS provides out of the box).

Sounds like a typical Hard Disk Drive vendor, stuck in the past, and whining about somebody [OCZ] that is actually "doing" something to enable hybrid storage solution that delivers value. I can see the 30 year veterans at Seagate and WD, getting all frumpy and red-faced "... they can't do that, storage devices can't have drivers, no fair!" Imagine what your PC would look like if NVIDIA or ATI were not allowed to deliver drivers for thier video cards. Way to go OCZ, storage IO is a huge bottleneck to PC performance, and we appreciate the innovation! Keep up the good work!

#4 patpro

patpro

• 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

I'm no HDD vendor, and I'm not stuck in the past. I just see more and more "innovations" that come with huge strings attached (use Windows 7, use this, overload your OS with 3 different software....). And I don't like strings attached, especially when they prevent me from using OSes I've chosen.
I don't like the Seagate Momentus XT, because I think 4GB flash is not enough, but I do like the technical approach, and I expect others will use that approach to provide PCI-e hybrid SSD, with user replaceable HDD and big SSD.

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

Hybrid's like this are a work in progress, but the market demand is clearly there...I think we'll see other vendors trying to figure out the space. Seagate has already been talking about Momentus XT 2, but to this point the other solutions all require hardware, software, drivers, etc. So OCZ is working within the confines of what competing solutions are doing.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

Sounds like a typical Hard Disk Drive vendor, stuck in the past, and whining about somebody [OCZ] that is actually "doing" something to enable hybrid storage solution that delivers value. I can see the 30 year veterans at Seagate and WD, getting all frumpy and red-faced "... they can't do that, storage devices can't have drivers, no fair!" Imagine what your PC would look like if NVIDIA or ATI were not allowed to deliver drivers for thier video cards. Way to go OCZ, storage IO is a huge bottleneck to PC performance, and we appreciate the innovation! Keep up the good work!

I partially have to agree with this... although not in saying that the above poster is a hard drive vendor :P

I say if someone can come out with a hardware product that takes full advantage of the performance of a computer, go all out. Systems these days have rather insanely powerful CPUs, so why not use a few cycles to get performance out of a product through a driver, while lowering the cost of the device at hand since it doesnt need that software/hardware operating onboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users