• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

WD just launched a pair of external hard drives largely designed for Mac users. The My Passport Studio is the higher end of the two, featuring an all metal anodized aluminum body, sleek rounded edges, capacities up to 1TB, dual FireWire 800 ports and a suite of drive management and security software. The new drives essentially put the previous generation WD externals for Mac to the pasture, and for good reason. WD has really taken design to heart with the My Passport Studio, it just looks and feels great. It has a minimalist feel throughout, even the indicator light is tiny and on the back of the drive so as not to offend.

Full Review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 orangepeel

orangepeel

• 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

WD just launched a pair of external hard drives largely designed for Mac users. The My Passport Studio is the higher end of the two, featuring an all metal anodized aluminum body, sleek rounded edges, capacities up to 1TB, dual FireWire 800 ports and a suite of drive management and security software. The new drives essentially put the previous generation WD externals for Mac to the pasture, and for good reason. WD has really taken design to heart with the My Passport Studio, it just looks and feels great. It has a minimalist feel throughout, even the indicator light is tiny and on the back of the drive so as not to offend.

Full Review

That looks like a really slick product. I'm not ready for thunderbolt yet because of price, and I've been looking to add some additional FW800 drives. Usually 2.5" drives don't come with extra power connectors, but I am curious as to how many I can daisy chain without worrying about power problems?

I speak from noticing that with my 2.5" USB 2.0 external that if I plug too many devices into USB, it starts to click and turn on/off intermittently.

#3 chriswaco

chriswaco

• 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

Did you have any trouble booting from the drive?

I have an older WD drive that will boot fine from USB, but not from Firewire.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

That looks like a really slick product. I'm not ready for thunderbolt yet because of price, and I've been looking to add some additional FW800 drives. Usually 2.5" drives don't come with extra power connectors, but I am curious as to how many I can daisy chain without worrying about power problems?

I speak from noticing that with my 2.5" USB 2.0 external that if I plug too many devices into USB, it starts to click and turn on/off intermittently.

I have put this in to WD for an answer as we only had one to test with, I don't know.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

Did you have any trouble booting from the drive?

I have an older WD drive that will boot fine from USB, but not from Firewire.

We didn't try to boot from it, that's not generally the duty of a large cap storage device.

I'm interested though in what scenario you'd like to use it as a bootable drive - perhaps we can add that to our testing profile.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 mrbaltimore

mrbaltimore

• 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

We didn't try to boot from it, that's not generally the duty of a large cap storage device.

I'm interested though in what scenario you'd like to use it as a bootable drive - perhaps we can add that to our testing profile.

Brian,

External boot is an excellent way to do application compatibility testing on a new MAC OSX. Going all in on a new OS can be so risky.

#7 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

Here's the answer from WD.

How many My Passport Studio can you daisy chain?
Maximum number of My Passport Studio units that can be daisy chained on the 1394 bus or FW800, vary greatly depending on host system capabilities and cabling used. The limitations are not dependent on the drives or 1394 bus capabilities but system capabilities/power ratings and cabling use. The basic 1394 bus can support up to 63 devices .Overall cable length for 1394 is limited to a total of 4.5 meters of cable. Using our meter cables, that would allow a total of 9 devices.

As for many of the Mac products, Apple has not published any 1394 port power ratings. Thus leaving up to the user to discover what is supported. Fortunately, the system will not be damaged doing the test, however there are concerns that the drive data might get corrupted because of a low voltage condition and/or rapid on/off that occurs when the overpower limit failure occurs. Our FIT engineers recommend against doing daisy chain testing with live/critical data being transfer between devices and the host.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users