• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:04 AM

In their latest G-RAID storage array, G-Technology by Hitachi showcased the new 4TB Hitachi 7,200RPM hard drive in a device aimed at professional A/V editing markets. The new four-platter drive is making use of a new 1TB platter design, which increases available capacity 33% compared to current-generation 3TB hard drives.

Read Full Article

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:11 AM

The new high cap hard drives usually find their way into branded external products like this first. Hard to tell when the drives might be available on their own, but WD/Hitchi should have something for us perhaps right after the acquisition close at the end of the year.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hmm... can I wait til the end of the year...

/me looks at the collection of Seagate Barracuda ES.2 1TB's in his array and wonders just when nearline 7200rpm 1TB-per-platter disks will be out...

(ok I know I'm being greedy :( )

#4 ddx

ddx

• 28 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

What happened to the original article ?

You are not authorized to access this page.

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, I posted in another thread, we made a mistake on the publish date and went early. Check back...

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 qasdfdsaq

qasdfdsaq

• Mod
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:36 AM

Hmm, Mac? Thunderbold? Yuck and yuck. Only because my laptop has neither ;)

#7 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:32 AM

Did Seagate pay them for officially announcing it a day after them? Anyway, I saw a couple of embargo breaks so Seagate is second for having a 4TB drive out there.

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

The entire Hitachi G-Tech line is generally Mac favorable, but they still include USB 2.0 for you ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#9 grogthegreat

grogthegreat

• 53 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

How long have you guys known about this drive but were unable to say anything due to the NDA?

I wonder how many people are going to buy this just to rip it apart and use the 4TB drive as an internal drive. I personally wouldn't dare run this drive unless it was in some sort of raid. I don't know anyone who has 4TB of data that they would be okay with loosing. Maybe AV professionals do.

#10 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

A few days...that's generally the head start we get with NDAs, in rare cases a few weeks. We're under a few right now ;) Lots of good stuff coming.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#11 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 713 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

I don't know anyone who has 4TB of data that they would be okay with loosing. Maybe AV professionals do.

Well, the chance of failure is pretty unrelated to HDD size and the value of data not neccessarily related to their size either. Or simply: if the data is valueable, you've got to have some kind of backup. Individual HDD sizes don't change anything in this regard.

MrS

#12 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

It's kind of funny, I've seen that "I don't want to lose 4TB of data" concern brought up a few times now, but can't remember it once coming up when we hit 3TB externals. Maybe I'm forgetting, but either way, 4TB seems to be more intimidating for some reason.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#13 fizzwinkus

fizzwinkus

• 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:39 AM

I kind of thought buying a 4tb drive FOR backing up would be on people's minds, especially if they have a lot of stuff.
On one system, I actually have the backup drive raided, turning two 2tb drives into a single volume 4tb to make it easier for time machine.

#14 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

For backups, I use a Synology unit with RAID 5 enabled to to Time Machine. Then what's fun is to take a big external like this and have the Synology back up to it. I'm using the slim with 4 1TB drives, so I'm okay with a 3TB external, but still, it's a good layering technique...or at least it works for me.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users