• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

The new portable wireless storage category is growing rapidly, with companies trying to anticipate consumer demand to craft the perfect solution. Seagate is differentiating their GoFlex Satellite from the competition in a number of ways. The Satellite combines 500GB of storage with a five hour battery and apps for both Apple iOS devices and the slew of Android offerings as well. The drive ships with a USB 3.0 adaptor for rapid file transfers to the drive, but thanks to the GoFlex system, users can swap that our for eSATA or FireWire for tremendous interface flexibility.

Read Full Review

#2 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the review. Burning question: Is one able to open this thing up and swap the HDD later with something even bigger? I understand this is a standard 9.5mm form factor. 5.400rpm?

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

The case really doesn't want to be opened up...looks like you'd cause damage. You would also void the warranty if that matters to you.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

The case really doesn't want to be opened up...looks like you'd cause damage. You would also void the warranty if that matters to you.

Isn't there a t-shirt which goes "I void warranties" , yeah, that's me.

Still, would love to see the insides, the battery type, etc, etc...
Haven't seen any tear-downs yet anywhere?

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

No tear downs because you essentially destroy the case. The next time I get really angry, I'll take it out on the Satellite and then you can have shots of the internals :)

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:02 AM

It's probably a 7mm drive but just guessing.
Seagate is taking a lot of heat with the smartphone/tablet software .. trouble with media file types and uploading to it, complaints that it shouldn't be read-only when connected to a device thru wifi. I really really like the concept though, just needs to be able to become a device on your home wifi as a network drive..

What is the interface like when you plug it into a computer with USB? Is it just a mass storage device and there are folders in the root labelled "Music" "Photos" "Movies", etc? Hopefully it is like this so you can put whatever you want on the drive besides just media.

Edited by danwat1234, 01 September 2011 - 12:03 AM.

#7 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:04 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the problems is because people are putting in videos that are bluray quality or some other high bitrate format and the tablet/smartphone can't decode is smoothly. That and making sure of what the supported types are. Just a guess

#8 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

For those still interested, we finally cracked this unit open in a non-destructive way. Lots of plastic clips which thankfully came apart with lots and lots of patience. It has a standard 9.5mm height drive inside for those thinking about upgrading ;)

#9 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

For those still interested, we finally cracked this unit open in a non-destructive way. Lots of plastic clips which thankfully came apart with lots and lots of patience. It has a standard 9.5mm height drive inside for those thinking about upgrading ;)

Excellent. Thanks for the verification. Pictures? ;-)

#10 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

Sure thing!
Attached File  goflex inside.JPG   65.96KB   22 downloads

Note the Apple-branded 500GB Seagate 5400.6 . Must be leftover from Macbooks :P
Attached File  goflex inside hdd.JPG   250.72KB   19 downloads

Attached File  goflex battery.JPG   256KB   14 downloads

Swapped in a 750GB Momentus XT that worked fine. I tried an assortment of SSDs and they didn't seem to work. Not really sure why but it seems to be limited to just working with HDDs.

EDIT: A Micron/Crucial 64GB M4 and 128GB C300 worked.

Not working: Intel SSD 320, SanDisk Ultra SSD, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3

#11 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

I wonder how much that Apple branded Seagate drive will fetch on Ebay? Could be a great way recoup some of the cost of the device.

Do you plan to do any more testing with a SSD installed? USB3 + SSD and maybe a decent boost in batterylife should be interesting assuming it likes the SSD installed.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#12 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

Outside of the "reviewer who has a stack of SSDs nearby" upgrader market, who would spend 2-3x the cost of the entire unit to upgrade this to an SSD? :P

#13 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

True, but ~200 for the device and the Apple Seagate HDD may fetch anywhere from 60-90 on ebay(never underestimate the apple logo!), so it might be able to at least breakeven to put an 60GB SSD in it. Might seem like a better option than a smaller 32GB Wi-drive...

Notebook users might also have a spare 2.5hdd if they switch to an SSD, so a wireless storage option might be appealing to them especially if they can bring the price down a bit.

Besides, when it comes to technology, you can be amazed at what people might hoard(IDE drives ftw ;)).

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users