• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:24 AM

Seagate has announced that they have shipped one million Momentus XT hybrid hard drives. The 2.5" hybrids offer 7200RPM platters with 500GB of capacity, boosted by 4GB of solid state SLC NAND used for caching frequent activities, making the XT more responsive than traditional hard drives.

Full Story

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:56 AM

Woohoo... hopefully they'll fix the firmware issues a ton of OS X users have been reporting, and maybe enhance the benefits of the tiny bit of flash memory onboard?

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:55 AM

I was thinking about starting a thread just to create a wish list for Momentus XT 2 features...I think a doubling of NAND is thing #1.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 Vampire

Vampire

• 36 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

I was thinking about starting a thread just to create a wish list for Momentus XT 2 features...I think a doubling of NAND is thing #1.

Very good idea. Make such a thread.
Most NAND you will see in the next momentus XT will be 16 GB - SLC or MLC.

There is a higher probability the next momentus XT will have 4 x 3 = 12 GB - SLC rather then 8 GB.

They are also considering two models for Momentus XT 2:

1) A 7,200 rpm with 12-16GB NAND.
2) A 10,000 rpm with 16 GB of NAND.

They will have no competition when Momentus XT 2 will come. Remember that Western Digital brought Hitachi GST which is a very large company (acquisition) if we compare it to Samsung drive division. So Seagate needs to stay ahead of competition.

http://www.theregist..._fifth_gen_pmr/
http://www.theregist..._pmr/page2.html

Edited by Vampire, 10 August 2011 - 03:56 PM.

#5 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

10K probably won't happen because of power consumption and that I've never seen a 10K spindle motor run on 5 volts instead of 12 volts. I'd wish it would happen though.

Hopefully the NAND flash will cache writes not just reads!

#6 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

Wait Vampire, do u know something from the inside!? Maybe the 10K platter idea is targeted for the desktop not laptop systems

#7 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

That's what I was thinking for 10K...must be a desktop product if at all. I don't see it happening, but it would be very interesting.

I also don't think we'll see multiple NAND chips. That PCB is tight.

http://www.storagere...entus_xt_review

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#8 Vampire

Vampire

• 36 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

The 10,000 rpm is for desktop & server market. Both versions will stay at 2.5-inch. NO multiple NAND chips. I was pointing out that the flash memory might triple.
The NAND flash in Momentus XT 2 will not cache writes but it will work in a different way from the current one. On a more concrete level it will have a new algorithm - that will work better on server related tasks.

Also : "Seagate will use its own heads in these new disk drive products and not TDK ones."

The NAND will come from Samsung and will be: 27-nm NAND flash.

Here you find more information and pictures regarding the Samsung Flash:

http://acrossemi.com...emid=76&lang=en

Seagate is thinking not to overshadow and overlap their products too much, because in theory the new Momentus XT 2 (7,200 version) can replace the 2.5-inch 7200-RPM Drive - Constellation and the 10,000 rpm version can replace the 2.5-inch 10K-RPM Drive - Savvio

On the left side : http://www.seagate.c...ucts/enterprise

There is a chance Momentus 2 will be split in a laptop/desktop 7,200 rpm version and a 10,000 version for the high-end desktop/server market.

If Momentus XT 2 will sell very good then they will go on this route and make all of their hard drives hybrid for now.

They are not ready yet to show the other technology they are working on. Yes it's a technology that will rival with SSD. And yes Western Digital doesn't have it.

Remember Seagate bought only the hard drive business from Samsung and made some deals regarding accessibility for SSD technology. ("After the deal, Samsung will supply NAND-type flash chips to Seagate, while it will source Seagate HDD for PCs, laptops and consumer electronics products. Seagate will also get access to Samsung's customer base across China and Southeast Asia.")

Seagate is working on a new technology for years. And it's light years away from competition. That's why it is not interested in SSD at all.

Edited by Vampire, 11 August 2011 - 05:57 PM.

#9 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

The 10,000 rpm is for desktop & server market. Both versions will stay at 2.5-inch. NO multiple NAND chips. I was pointing out that the flash memory might triple.
The NAND flash in Momentus XT 2 will not cache writes but it will work in a different way from the current one. On a more concrete level it will have a new algorithm - that will work better on server related tasks.

Also : "Seagate will use its own heads in these new disk drive products and not TDK ones."

The NAND will come from Samsung and will be: 27-nm NAND flash.

Here you find more information and pictures regarding the Samsung Flash:

http://acrossemi.com...emid=76&lang=en

Seagate is thinking not to overshadow and overlap their products too much, because in theory the new Momentus XT 2 (7,200 version) can replace the 2.5-inch 7200-RPM Drive - Constellation and the 10,000 rpm version can replace the 2.5-inch 10K-RPM Drive - Savvio

On the left side : http://www.seagate.c...ucts/enterprise

There is a chance Momentus 2 will be split in a laptop/desktop 7,200 rpm version and a 10,000 version for the high-end desktop/server market.

If Momentus XT 2 will sell very good then they will go on this route and make all of their hard drives hybrid for now.

They are not ready yet to show the other technology they are working on. Yes it's a technology that will rival with SSD. And yes Western Digital doesn't have it.

Remember Seagate bought only the hard drive business from Samsung and made some deals regarding accessibility for SSD technology. ("After the deal, Samsung will supply NAND-type flash chips to Seagate, while it will source Seagate HDD for PCs, laptops and consumer electronics products. Seagate will also get access to Samsung's customer base across China and Southeast Asia.")

Seagate is working on a new technology for years. And it's light years away from competition. That's why it is not interested in SSD at all.

They might have a winner too if they make a 10K RPM version for laptops! A lot of people would buy it as long as power consumption wasn't absolutely crazy, like say under 3 watts idle power consumption, 5 watts max when loaded.

#10 Vampire

Vampire

• 36 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

We will wait and see what happens. As i said they are working on a technology that will replace magnetic disks all together.

Edited by Vampire, 12 August 2011 - 08:35 AM.

#11 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:08 AM

The newest version of the drive's firmware, version SD26 is available on the web now.

Click on "Regular Download", the blue button, then click on the "Click here to start download from sendspace" hyperlink

Windows version (easiest):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mhlkbf

Bootable iso version:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rifiz5

Edited by danwat1234, 25 August 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#12 cbjwthwm

cbjwthwm

• 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

Where did you get ahold of this, as Seagate still hasn't officially released this firmware on their firmware download page for the drive?

#13 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:36 AM

Where did you get ahold of this, as Seagate still hasn't officially released this firmware on their firmware download page for the drive?

Came from contacting Seagate support and requesting the SD26 firmware :)

Yeah I really don't know why it is not public. New drives are shipping with it, so if SD26 has problems, why would new drives be shipping with it? It's a mystery I hope to solve in the next few days. Sent an email to Joni Clark of Seagate

#14 dhanson865

dhanson865

• 174 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:46 PM

Came from contacting Seagate support and requesting the SD26 firmware :)

Yeah I really don't know why it is not public. New drives are shipping with it, so if SD26 has problems, why would new drives be shipping with it? It's a mystery I hope to solve in the next few days. Sent an email to Joni Clark of Seagate

The official word is that SD25 and SD26 have no significant changes. Only a very small minority of users benefit from the single change between 25 and 26 so they didn't bother to put 26 out publicly. So until SD27 comes out they keep spouting the same explanation that you probably don't need SD26.

Is it true? I don't know. But that is what you'll see if you read enough threads on the Seagate support forum.

#15 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 737 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

If a company says it's a big deal it probably isn't. If they say the improvements are no big deal.. well, I'd expect them to be insignificant ;)

MrS

#16 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

That's the case with most firmware...the iterations solve tony problems that affect few people, some don't even get distributed via the company website. Very rarely do we see releases like the recent Crucial m4 firmware that promises big performance deltas.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#17 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 737 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

And it's actually a good thing that drive firmware is that mature ;)

MrS

#18 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

I've gotten a response from Joni Clark of Seagate,

She says the reason why SD26 isn't publicly available is because the OEMs get mad because the OEMs want their customers to go through them for driver and firmware updates rather than through Seagate. So it is this way just to keep companies happy with Seagate apparently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users