• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

When it comes to desktop-based high-performance storage, to get to the bleeding edge there are certain limits you have to work around. A single SATA SSD, no matter how fast it is, will be held back by the 6.0Gb/s bandwidth. To get around this many opt for the PCIe interface, either by using a RAID card with multiple drives grouped together or a PCIe integral storage solution. Today we look at the latter option with the latest in OCZ's RevoDrive family of enthusiast SSDs, the RevoDrive 3 X2. Incorporating four SandForce SF-2281 processors and 480GB of tier one NAND flash; the OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 drives read speed up to 1500MB/s and writes of 1250MB/s and 4K random write IOPS of 200,000.

Read Full Review

#2 Telstar The Sorcerer

Telstar The Sorcerer

• 261 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:53 AM

When it comes to desktop-based high-performance storage, to get to the bleeding edge there are certain limits you have to work around. A single SATA SSD, no matter how fast it is, will be held back by the 6.0Gb/s bandwidth. To get around this many opt for the PCIe interface, either by using a RAID card with multiple drives grouped together or a PCIe integral storage solution. Today we look at the latter option with the latest in OCZ's RevoDrive family of enthusiast SSDs, the RevoDrive 3 X2. Incorporating four SandForce SF-2281 processors and 480GB of tier one NAND flash; the OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 drives read speed up to 1500MB/s and writes of 1250MB/s and 4K random write IOPS of 200,000.

Read Full Review

Nice review!
But why they didnt do a 120gb version? The entry price to be paid is way too high for this new gen.

BTW, when do you plan to test the Crucial M4?
I intel 2600k | H100 con 2x AP-29 | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 CL9 | GTX570 MSI TwinFrozr III |
| Crucial M4 128GB | Several 2TB drives | Lian-Li T60 & Corsair 800D (under modding with custom sleeving and lightning) |
| Corsair AX850 | Samsung 2693HM 25,5" LCD | Cantatis Overture | Sennheiser HD595 |

#3 spammeister

spammeister

• 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

Excellent! Did you much testing as a boot drive? As this would be the product to finally combine and replace my 300GB VRaptor and 4 SSD raid setup.

I've never quite trusted the Revo products as boot drives, even though I think they are the solution to finally upgrading. Nice to see that OCZ is refreshing the line at a crazy pace. Hopefully it will be a tad cheaper and have good availability by X-mas :P

Edited by spammeister, 29 June 2011 - 08:21 AM.

#4 Telstar The Sorcerer

Telstar The Sorcerer

• 261 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

Having used scsi raid controllers for awhile now, the issues of bootable pci-e SSDs are very similar.
It can be a real PITA at times, and the list of supported motherboards is pretty small.
I intel 2600k | H100 con 2x AP-29 | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 CL9 | GTX570 MSI TwinFrozr III |
| Crucial M4 128GB | Several 2TB drives | Lian-Li T60 & Corsair 800D (under modding with custom sleeving and lightning) |
| Corsair AX850 | Samsung 2693HM 25,5" LCD | Cantatis Overture | Sennheiser HD595 |

#5 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Excellent! Did you much testing as a boot drive? As this would be the product to finally combine and replace my 300GB VRaptor and 4 SSD raid setup.

I've never quite trusted the Revo products as boot drives, even though I think they are the solution to finally upgrading. Nice to see that OCZ is refreshing the line at a crazy pace. Hopefully it will be a tad cheaper and have good availability by X-mas :P

Actually we did play around with booting from it. Bootable Acronis didn't work for cloning off the bat (didnt have the drivers to load), but initiating the process from inside Windows worked perfectly. And since we had installed the drivers to run it as a secondary drive, they were already loaded after the clone finished. No hiccups at all as a boot drive on our system. When I get into the office today I will post some of the PCMark07 results (Intel SSD 510 boot drive vs Revo3 X2 boot drive).

We had to cut short some of our testing for this review because towards the end the drive became unresponsive and ended up failing. One of the downsides of testing such early hardware is there is a risk something can go wrong. We already have a replacement model on the way though and will be updating the review. I have a sneaking suspicion that our model may have not been running on all cylinders in our tests.

#6 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Nice review!
But why they didnt do a 120gb version? The entry price to be paid is way too high for this new gen.

BTW, when do you plan to test the Crucial M4?

Well they have a 120GB version in the non-X2 model. I am guessing having a RAID0 of 4 30GB drives wasnt worth it for them.

Also our Crucial M4 review has been up for a while http://www.storagere...sd_review_256gb ;)

#7 Telstar The Sorcerer

Telstar The Sorcerer

• 261 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

Well they have a 120GB version in the non-X2 model. I am guessing having a RAID0 of 4 30GB drives wasnt worth it for them.

They have 100GB X2 non rev3, have had it for a while, and is on my whishlist... but real-world differences do not seem to justify the hassle of installing windows on it. The rev3 X2 instead has a performance gap that could be worth my time :D
Well, i posted on ocz forums that i want a 120gb version, but i doubt they'll do it.
I prefer to have physically separate discs/arrays for OS and programs/documents, so it is not just a budget issue.

Also our Crucial M4 review has been up for a while http://www.storagere...sd_review_256gb ;)

I have missed it: going to check. The M4 and 510 are in my list as well and seem the most bugfree of the current crop.

#8 Telstar The Sorcerer

Telstar The Sorcerer

• 261 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

Ah its the 256gb version, that's why i didnt read it. Performance is VERY different at the 120gb size esp for the M4 and vertex3.

#9 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:51 AM

Ah its the 256gb version, that's why i didnt read it. Performance is VERY different at the 120gb size esp for the M4 and vertex3.

You're right...with those Marvell controllers, the performance drops. We're off topic now, but we are trying to get the rest of the m4 sizes in for review. If you want to discuss further, get a new thread going in the SSD forum.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#10 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 755 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

It would be nice to use the 4 controllers for added redundancy. Offer higher RAID modes for them. If any of them failes, be able to use the remaining ones. If entire flash dies fail, don't use them (tricky beyond 1 reserve chip, I guess).

Regarding a 120 GB X2: they'd need 4 GB dies for that, which are not available (or not being bought?) at 25 nm. They could do it with 30+ nm, but they'd cost more. Anyway, an X2 is probably total overkill for desktop use anyway. The SR real world tests do show an advantage for the X2, but even they replay recorded accesses faster than they would occur in the real world, seperating the boys from the men but creating a not-totally-realistic scenario (correct me, if I'm wrong here Brian).

MrS

#11 David Clunie

David Clunie

• 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:23 AM

Is there a description of your "new test rig" available ?

The most recent I could find on the site was "http://www.storagere...om/Testbed4.sr", which is presumably not it.

Thanks ... David

#12 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

The page is still in draft forum right now. The system is based around an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3 board.

#13 Stonedofmoo

Stonedofmoo

• 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:00 AM

Hi guys

It's been a while since I built a new PC, but I always end up back here when I do and the RevoDrive 3 is on my short list.
I just read through your review and have a couple of points.

OCZ sell a Revodrive 3 that isn't a x2 model, is this likely to be half the performance of the x2 or in reality are we talking a small drop thanks to the law of diminishing returns?

Mostly though, no where in your article did you mention the lack of TRIM support in Windows 7 for this device. It's been mentioned in every other article I've read besides yours which seems odd as I'd expect yours to be the most in depth. Personally I'd consider this a major oversight on the behalf of OCZ as the chances are the vast majority of users with this drive will want to run it on Windows 7, and Windows 7 does not currently appears to support TRIM via this devices SAS controller.
Have OCZ found a way to get round this since? Also what is it like upgrading the firmware etc, how does it run after a few weeks in situ?

All questions I felt that could use a little expansion.

Anyhow thanks for what is there. It's good to be back on the tech hunt again :-)

#14 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

Hi guys

It's been a while since I built a new PC, but I always end up back here when I do and the RevoDrive 3 is on my short list.
I just read through your review and have a couple of points.

OCZ sell a Revodrive 3 that isn't a x2 model, is this likely to be half the performance of the x2 or in reality are we talking a small drop thanks to the law of diminishing returns?

Mostly though, no where in your article did you mention the lack of TRIM support in Windows 7 for this device. It's been mentioned in every other article I've read besides yours which seems odd as I'd expect yours to be the most in depth. Personally I'd consider this a major oversight on the behalf of OCZ as the chances are the vast majority of users with this drive will want to run it on Windows 7, and Windows 7 does not currently appears to support TRIM via this devices SAS controller.
Have OCZ found a way to get round this since? Also what is it like upgrading the firmware etc, how does it run after a few weeks in situ?

All questions I felt that could use a little expansion.

Anyhow thanks for what is there. It's good to be back on the tech hunt again :-)

We left out the mention of TRIM in the review, since its not completely supported or unsupported. This was the initial word on it from OCZ:

"Though the Revo3 card supports TRIM, because the architecture is based on SCSI, the Microsoft Windows StorPort architecture currently does not support either TRIM or SCSI UNMAP. As such, these commands are not generated by the OS, which of course prevents VCA from executing them. We are working with Microsoft to have this functionality enabled as soon as possible."

So the Revo does support TRIM, but Windows doesn't under current driver structure. It sounds like drivers would eventually allow it to work though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users