• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

G-Technology by Hitachi has announced its G-CONNECT portable wireless storage device for the Apple iPad and iPhone. No Internet connection is required to use the device and it can stream to up to five users at once.

Full Story

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:37 AM

I've always been impressed with Hitachi's build quality on this line. While it's generally geared toward Mac users, the devices are about as refined as Apple in terms of design, etc.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

I've always been impressed with Hitachi's build quality on this line. While it's generally geared toward Mac users, the devices are about as refined as Apple in terms of design, etc.

The HGST version has no battery inside so it is not truly mobile therefore not comparable with the Seagate solution. WD, you're up next.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

True, there's no built in battery but externals work...hard to call them non-competitive products on that one feature. I saw the Seagate for the first time today and played with it some. The battery is in fact neat, I suppose it depends largely on the features you want. I'll see WD tonight I think and will ask them about a competing device.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

True, there's no built in battery but externals work...hard to call them non-competitive products on that one feature. I saw the Seagate for the first time today and played with it some. The battery is in fact neat, I suppose it depends largely on the features you want. I'll see WD tonight I think and will ask them about a competing device.

Yes, please ask ;-) I simply had issues with that you said - while comparing this to the Satellite - "it's superior in a number of ways" - But the Hitachi won't work during the time you are mobile (e.g. airplane, cab, etc..) - so it is only a portable device. Hitachi should, for god's sake, put the 7mm HDD in(good enough for USB2 and 802.11n)and add a battery. Oh, and USB3 since Seagate got that, too.

Granted, none of the these solutions are perfect, I am not yet convinced to make a purchase. Isn't it funny that due to the limitations of the iOS environment (=root of the problem) the storage makers try to find these complicated ways around it?

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

Hah, Chaz said that, not me :)

Anyway, I'm prepping a piece for tomorrow to discuss where we are in the space right now...had hands on with all three solutions tonight.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users