• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

The Torqx 2 is a new line of SSDs from Patriot Memory, which was announced and started shipping at the beginning of the month. Available in 32GB to 256GB capacities, the SATA 3Gb/s drive uses a rarely seen Phison controller to deliver read speeds of 270MB/s and writes of 230MB/s. We put this 2.5-inch drive through its paces and stack it up against its competitors.

Read Full Review

#2 Nihility

Nihility

• 37 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

I'm not sure I would buy this drive at half the current selling price.

Do you think it suffers from the stuttering performance of the original jmicron drives?

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:37 AM

We didn't see stuttering, note, it doesn't use a JMicron controller. Regardless though, we can't justify this drive at the current prices, Patriot didn't think this through very well.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 756 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

Don't count on the drive being heavily discounted just because it's slow - the flash and DRAM still cost the same, no matter how slow the controller is.

MrS

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

You're right...I'd expect discounts based on inventory not moving. I just can't see any case why someone would buy this drive right now. Given that - eventually Patriot will have to take the loss and sell these for what they can.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users