• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:02 AM

Seagate has announced several updates to their enterprise hard drive and SSD lines. The Pulsar.2 is an MLC NAND based SSD that offers capacities up to 800GB and the Pulsar XT.2 leverages SLC NAND to deliver Seagate's fastest drive speeds to date. On the hard drive front, the Savvio 15K.3 gets a capacity bump to 300GB while the Savvio 10K.5 goes up to 900GB, both in a 2.5" form factor. Seagate also updated the 3.5" Constellation ES.2, bumping it up to 3TB.

Full Story

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 udaman

udaman

• 642 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:10 PM

Seagate has announced several updates to their enterprise hard drive and SSD lines. The Pulsar.2 is an MLC NAND based SSD that offers capacities up to 800GB and the Pulsar XT.2 leverages SLC NAND to deliver Seagate's fastest drive speeds to date. On the hard drive front, the Savvio 15K.3 gets a capacity bump to 300GB while the Savvio 10K.5 goes up to 900GB, both in a 2.5" form factor. Seagate also updated the 3.5" Constellation ES.2, bumping it up to 3TB.

Full Story

Well, if they follow HDD 'tradition' we can expect retail shipping sometime before the end of the year on larger capacities :P ?

Cost?

Controller(s)?

When do you get to test them, test samples?

#3 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 713 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

I suspect the Savvio 10K.5 uses 300 GB platters. Pretty impressive for 10k rpm and 2.5", considering we just arrived at 375 GB platters at 7.2k rpm.

MrS

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

Well, if they follow HDD 'tradition' we can expect retail shipping sometime before the end of the year on larger capacities :P ?

Cost?

Controller(s)?

Cost will depend on your commercial contracts, they don't quote an MSRP for enterprise drives.

Controllers...don't know, but I will endeavor to find out.

Review units, we'll probably get them but to be fair to Seagate, we're being negligent at keeping up with the enterprise drives, we have a bunch already that keep getting bumped for consumer drives. We best get motivated if we want to see the new gear ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 h4lf

h4lf

• 24 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

Wow, how are they getting 15 *petabytes* out of their MLC drives? Compared to "enterprise MLC" like the Micron C400 which is rated at 72TB, this is 2 orders of magnitude better? Is this for real? :o

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

Wow, how are they getting 15 *petabytes* out of their MLC drives? Compared to "enterprise MLC" like the Micron C400 which is rated at 72TB, this is 2 orders of magnitude better? Is this for real? :o

There are a lot of variables but the big one is write amplification, which we just don't know on these drives and is rarely disclosed. Even the latest SandForce client drives show a WA of less than 1. What it really is and if it varies by SF drive is unknown. The enterprise controllers have worked hard on WA for just this reason, to be able to get more life out of MLC NAND. Real world remains to be seen, but yeah, those are some pretty aggressive numbers.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#7 Darking

Darking

• 236 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:30 AM

I generally am looking at Enterprise level ssd's.. and reviews are what i would call nonexistent on the interweb.

Im wondering, if there are NDAs or the manufactors simply dont see the same reason to send out enterprise hardware to review sites, given the general audience of said sites (nerds with no cash ;-) )

If SR gets an offer for review models of these pulsar units, i would be very interrested to see their performance characteristics. Especially since sequantial read/Write speeds are about as boring as watching grass grow.

Edited by Darking, 16 March 2011 - 06:32 AM.

What We Do in Life Echoes in Eternity.

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:20 AM

We get few enterprise SSD review offers. The Viking Modulars were a few and we have the P300's in now, along with the LSI Warp Drive. Manufacturers generally don't make their enterprise SSDs available for review. Not exactly sure why, I think there are different reasons, but we'll keep asking!

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#9 Spod

Spod

Guru > me > newbie

• Patron
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

We get few enterprise SSD review offers. The Viking Modulars were a few and we have the P300's in now, along with the LSI Warp Drive. Manufacturers generally don't make their enterprise SSDs available for review. Not exactly sure why, I think there are different reasons, but we'll keep asking!

Shopping from HP, we're lucky to find out anything about the brands they use. I'm guessing that they'll eventually expand their SSD offerings beyond the 60 GB and 120 GB Samsung based SATA offerings going for about four times the price of the equivalent consumer drives. But it'll all be HP badged, and we might not even find out what controller's on there without buying one and taking it apart. Still, reading this, I'm expecting they'll offer 900 GB 10K and 300 GB 15K SFF drives sometime in the next few months.

The 15K.3 not only doubles capacity over the previous generation drives, but they also deliver up to 3% faster random read and up to 4% faster random write performance.

Here's hoping that the new SSDs offer a greater improvement over previous generation performance!:rolleyes:
If I'm wrong, please tell me why. I'm trying to help, but I'm here to learn, too.
See my profile for PC specs. I do not practise what I preach.

#10 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

Here's hoping that the new SSDs offer a greater improvement over previous generation performance!:rolleyes:

Such a dreamer ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#11 David Szabados

David Szabados

• 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

Cost?

Controller(s)?

With pricing, the way it works with Seagate's enterprise products is that there is no traditional MSRP. Channel pricing can fluctuate a great deal due to the market needs, so an MSRP isn't given.

With regard to the question about the controller, both are Seagate-designed. The MLC-based Pulsar.2 is the SSD model that is the first product to come out of the Seagate/Samsung relationship that was announced last year. I wrote a blog about the technology last year that you can check out here, http://enterprise.me...ment-agreement/

David Szabados
Seagate Technology

#12 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 713 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the information, David!

Given what I just read it makes sense that the new drives would feature extraordinary endurance. It will be intersting to learn more about how this is achieved. They could always trade flash performance and write power consumption in for higher endurance.. but you could do this with any controller. I suspect there's more going on here.
And thanks for the Momentus XT 500 GB, by the way. If I were in for a new notebook / HDD by now this would be the one :)

MrS

#13 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

Funny timing, we're writing up a piece on the new Momentus XT firmware right now...

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users