• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

I have a 128GB Kingston SVN425 that its ready and willing to go on to a better home. Its been pretty used and abused here so far... seen plenty of systems and write cycles to say the least :D. That said its still has a lot of life, even if we did shave a year or two off it.

Posted Image

Consider this a forum-only giveaway. You won't see any huge push for this drive to be given away except for this thread by its lonesome self. A winner will be chosen at random, with the only requirement being that you post in this thread outlining your perfect home for this Kingston SSD. In a couple of weeks (maybe a month tops) I will announce the winner and Fedex the drive off to greener pastures.

#2 Shining Arcanine

Shining Arcanine

• 176 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

Most people would not be interested in this. The performance is worst than a mechanical hard drive:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738/17

#3 Potificate

Potificate

• 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:08 AM

I would love to use this drive as I have a Zalman TNN 500AF (fanless) case where all of the components are passively cooled. To not hear the hard drive spinning would be a godsend as it is the only noise source. If an SSD works as a boot drive in my system, I might go all out and either buy more SSDs for storage or shove a NAS or DAS into a nearby soundproofed closet.

Thanks!
Potificate

I have a 128GB Kingston SVN425 that its ready and willing to go on to a better home. Its been pretty used and abused here so far... seen plenty of systems and write cycles to say the least :D. That said its still has a lot of life, even if we did shave a year or two off it.

Posted Image

Consider this a forum-only giveaway. You won't see any huge push for this drive to be given away except for this thread by its lonesome self. A winner will be chosen at random, with the only requirement being that you post in this thread outlining your perfect home for this Kingston SSD. In a couple of weeks (maybe a month tops) I will announce the winner and Fedex the drive off to greener pastures.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:29 AM

Most people would not be interested in this. The performance is worst than a mechanical hard drive:

A free SSD is a free SSD and at least one person is interested ;)

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

http://www.storagere...review_snv425s2 ;)

It wasn't the fastest drive, but it does beat out platter models.

Posted Image

It actually beat out the 600GB Velociraptor (fastest platter drive we have tested) in all tests. So for a netbook or even notebook this is by all means an upgrade in every way.

#6 theoryzero

theoryzero

• 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'll take it! Pick me! Pick me!

I have an old Dell E1505 laptop from 2006 and this would surely be a significant boost in performance over the 5400 RPM drive that it shipped with (again, from 2006!!!). Please help my Windows 7 boot times...two minutes is killing me!

#7 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

Well your odds are pretty good to say the least. 50% chance of winning right now B)

#8 rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

• 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

If I snag the free SSD, then I'll use it to keep my old PPC iMac going for another year or 2.

It's pd slow with it's old 250G WD drive, PPC processor and maxed 2G RAM, so i'm sure that the Kingston would give it a welcome boost in day to day user/OS response time!

#9 Djembe

Djembe

• 63 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

My last computer died and since I didn't have the money to get a nice replacement, I've got a netbook instead. Putting an SSD in my netbook would surely take care of a lot of the somewhat sluggish feeling this machine has sometimes. I hope I win! :)

#10 TSullivanIsMyHero

TSullivanIsMyHero

• 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

Pick me! Pick me!
I obviously made this account just for this thread. Please help me replace my 5400 rpm hard drive on my laptop t.t

#11 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:32 AM

LOL - I'm pretty sure sucking up via screen name isn't going to help ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#12 Spod

Spod

Guru > me > newbie

• Patron
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:04 AM

Whoa, when I saw this I was really expecting a flood of responses! Truly, this is a site for storage enthusiasts - no-one's interested in anything but the latest and greatest, even when it's free!

Having reluctantly concluded that I can't afford to upgrade my system this year (just as happened last year, and will probably happen next year...) this would definitely give my 2004 XP machine a new lease of life. It's got a 74 GB 2nd gen Raptor in it (it was quite a decent machine when I built it 7 years ago!), but if we're boasting about boot times, it takes 4.5 minutes from power on to Firefox appearing! I threw in an old and noisy WD800BB when my storage needs outgrew the Raptor, and now I can tell it's on from the other end of the house - so much for acoustipack and all those drive, fan & PSU grommets. A 128 GB SSD would be enough to replace all my storage!

Okay, it's no Vertex 3, but it's free, it supports trim, and it's not Jmicron... what's not to like?

Well, it was worth a shot. Odds are 16% and falling...

Oh, yes, and while my profile reveals I'm in the UK, I have contacts in the US who could get this to me to save international shipping!
If I'm wrong, please tell me why. I'm trying to help, but I'm here to learn, too.
See my profile for PC specs. I do not practise what I preach.

#13 Djembe

Djembe

• 63 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

2004, huh? *looks up SATA history*

Ah, there were motherboards available with SATA in 2004. It didn't catch on to notebook computers (my main area of interest) until 2005, so I was wondering.

#14 Spod

Spod

Guru > me > newbie

• Patron
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

300 MB/s SATA, no less! Though I might have to mess around with drivers if I want to boot from it, or reinstall XP.
If I'm wrong, please tell me why. I'm trying to help, but I'm here to learn, too.
See my profile for PC specs. I do not practise what I preach.

#15 Patrick Roberts

Patrick Roberts

• Mod
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

*Would use it as a hood ornament*

Nooooooode.js

#16 dr.ralph

dr.ralph

• 521 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

I'll donate this drive to my father if I win it - I have build his system from scratch and actually considered giving him an SSD drive for a bit of extra Uhmmpppp in win 7 :)

Thanks for giving us the chance !

----
Vh/Regards
Claus - TapaTalk on my Ip4
Best regards
Claus

#17 DetlevCM

DetlevCM

• 220 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hmm, if you ship to the UK...

-> I'm sure my mother's laptop could benefit from a SSD -> the HDD bay has bad cooling, so a cool SSD as opposed to a hot HDD would be great + it would be much faster than the HDD (a slow one)

My NBR Profile
Sony SZ71VN/X - Intel 160GB SSD | My Pens - Montblanc LeGrand

#18 dhanson865

dhanson865

• 174 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

Wow, I wonder if this is still even current (am I too late)?

For whatever reason I never saw this thread until today. Either my Jedi powers have weakened or someone else with stronger force levels was doing their best to hide this thread from me.

I'm not sure why someone linked to the Anandtech article from 2009 when the latest review from 2011 still has test results for this drive.

http://www.anandtech...sd-510-review/4 shows the SSD Now V series 128GB at the slow end of the charts but still faster than mechanical hard drives in general.

If I were to get it it would be replacing a WD2500KS-00MJB0 from 2005/2006? That is being used with a AMD X3 720 BE. Definitely slowing down the system.

#19 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

You're in time...we'll close this next week. Don't worry though, plenty of other hidden contests are coming for our forums members.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#20 hixatchi

hixatchi

• 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:51 PM

Ahhh if I win this baby it will be going into my Lenovo tablet, replacing another 100 GB hard drive..... can't wait to silence the baby with an SSD :)

#21 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:26 AM

Today is the last day - closing entry at midnight EST, then we'll pick from the very short list...you all have very good odds ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#22 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

Add me...I heard free and came running. Though, I like to make an entrance, so I came late :)

Edited by Kdawgca, 18 March 2011 - 04:27 PM.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#23 oniasiu

oniasiu

• 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

I hope I'm not too late for the free.

#24 InveSSDator

InveSSDator

• 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

There once was a lad from Moorgate
That dabbled in digital alchemy
However to his dismay, he was sorely lacking
A file server with solid state
So he sent a missive
Pleading for storagereview.com backing
To alleviate this technophile tragedy

#25 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

75 minutes to go and I have to say, the poem is a nice touch.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users