• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 djdd

djdd

• 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:38 AM

Hi guys,
I bought a couple of western digital caviar black 1tb drives last december after reading the Leaderboard on this site and the drive I used for my main data storage is giving me problems.
You can see all the files within Windows7 but accessing them is painfully slow, some files copy across to another drive ok while other are painfully slow or dont copy at all.

I've run chkdsk /r and it stalls at 43% on pass 4/5 so I'm guessing bad sectors. Is there any software which will help fix my drive without losing data? Dont realy want to low level format as I need some of the files.

Also do you know of a good disc image software which will be able to access the drive?

Thank you.

D

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

How many drives did you get and are you just seeing trouble on one? It could just be bad luck that you got a dog.

Go ahead and run WD Diags against each drive, full test, and see what you get and psot back.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 djdd

djdd

• 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

I have two of these drives, both installed at the same time, the other drive is running fine. Will post back when i haev some more info.

#4 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Arghhh, checkdisk is a very very bad thing to run when there is an issue of file recovery at play.

My thought process would follow something like this:

Use Linux live CD, check drive SMART status log using smartmontools
If drive is borked, try mounting read-only and copy data off
Once data is off, send in for drive exchange

Chances are you got a drive with a small defect. Happens to the best of them. Hopefully you can still recover the data on the drive.

#5 superlgn

superlgn

• 118 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

I had one bad sector on one of my Blacks a few months after I first got it. Pulled it out of the array (was running Linux md at the time), wrote directly to the block, retested with smartmontools, and readded. I had a few more on the same drive several months later, but I switched to a 3ware controller and that took care of the scrubbing.

If you follow TSullivan's advice (backup and test) and smartmon shows you where the bad sector is:

(smartctl -t long /dev/sdX ; wait ; smartctl -a /dev/sdX)
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%     36932         387700232

You could try to fix it yourself:

# force realloc
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX seek=387700232 bs=512 count=1 oflag=direct

# test
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX seek=387700232 bs=512 count=1

If you suspect there's more than one bad sector and/or don't want to deal with this type of process, but have all your data backed up, just boot up wddiag and do a long test (which should run a short test first). If it finds and corrects any errors, you should probably run another long test to verify all is well.

I use wddiag (and similar utils) alot at work. Some drives keep chuggin' along without issue after that, others bite the dust after initially looking ok.

#6 eva2000

eva2000

• 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

Similar situation I am in with bad sectors, I purchased copy of spinrite v6.0 after reading positive reviews online http://forums.storag...x2-bad-sectors/

hope that helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users