• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

It took a lot of complaints and a few articles from us and others, but OCZ has done the right thing and confirmed they will be issuing free SSD replacements for those affected by their switch to 25nm NAND. The issue is not so much the NAND itself, but OCZ's implementation, especially in their lower capacity SSDs, like the 60GB Vertex 2 we just reviewed.

Full Story

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 geshel

geshel

• 210 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

It took a lot of complaints and a few articles from us and others, but OCZ has done the right thing and confirmed they will be issuing free SSD replacements for those affected by their switch to 25nm NAND. The issue is not so much the NAND itself, but OCZ's implementation, especially in their lower capacity SSDs, like the 60GB Vertex 2 we just reviewed.

Full Story

Nice! good move on their part.

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

Agreed, I'm glad they did it. Still won't instantly rebuild their brand trust levels with some, but at least they didn't stay obstinate for too long.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 Mkruer

Mkruer

• 283 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

And like i mentioned in another thread this actions should nullify any potential lawsuits bu some law firms that would screw both OCZ and the consumer.
Lian-Li PC-V2000 Plus Aluminum Case; Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO; Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 @ 4.0Ghz ; Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C; 8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition @ 1333Mhz; Creative Audigy 2 ZS; Sapphire Radeon HD 5770; 1xOCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX180G; 1xWestern Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB; 2xWestern Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB; Western Digital WDG1U3200 My Book Essential Edition 320GB USB 2.0; Samsung STORY Station 2TB USB 3.0.

#5 TheCoffeeGuy

TheCoffeeGuy

• 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

It took a lot of complaints and a few articles from us...
Full Story

The more things change the more they stay the same. OCZ pulled this same stuff in the memory business. Ship what ever they can get their hands on and the4 consumer be damned.

I got a 3.5" drive from them that had, what appeared to be, bootleg micron parts.

#6 skypx

skypx

• 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

Nice! good move on their part.

I agree, great move. This could have hurt their already fragile reputation.

#7 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

The more things change the more they stay the same. OCZ pulled this same stuff in the memory business. Ship what ever they can get their hands on and the4 consumer be damned.

I got a 3.5" drive from them that had, what appeared to be, bootleg micron parts.

Got any pictures of that?

#8 hoodlum

hoodlum

• 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

Will all future 60GB Vertex 2 include the 32GB ICs or is this only for those who complain and are willing to go through the hassle of replacing their 60GB SDD.

#9 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

Sounds like going forward all drives will be rolling of the line with 32Gb.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#10 aNovitiate

aNovitiate

• 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

It took a lot of complaints and a few articles from us and others, but OCZ has done the right thing and confirmed they will be issuing free SSD replacements for those affected by their switch to 25nm NAND.

... ONLY for Vertex ssd's. Yesterday, I just took delivery of an Agility "E" series and applied for an RMA. Today, their Reply was "not for Agility - ONLY for Vertex."

While StorageReview did a service, shining a light on OCZ's deceptive cost-cutting, StorageReview ONLY shone the light on the Vertex model line. The same cost-cutting applies to the Agility "E" series. As long as the scrutiny light was ONLY on Vertex, OCZ only responded to where the public light and acrimony was shining.

All this points to a deceptive, unethical company. I am displeased and unimpressed with OCZ.

#11 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

I'm surprised that they wouldn't honor the Agility return too, I bet if you press the issue they will.

We in a way got lucky in terms of being able to find the two different Vertex drives. Since OCZ doesn't send us review product very often (one SSD in 2010) it's hard for us to work with them on a consistent basis.

If you have a bad Agility, post some benchmark data in the SSD forum so we can aggregate that info.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#12 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Oh, and we did mention the Agility in the initial piece -

http://www.storagere...t_you_need_know

We just don't have the drives in hand to do the comparison review like we did with the Vertex 2.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#13 lolpatrol

lolpatrol

• 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

In the lead article, you mention Newegg offering full refunds for the drive. I bought a 120gb Vertex 2, and sent them an email on Saturday. I received a response today to the effect of, "It's a nonrefundable item, you can get a store credit," and I can only assume there'll be a 15% restocking fee. There doesn't happen to be some case number I can reference which would point to them knowing how to handle this differently than any other drive, is there? Thanks.

#14 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

From what I remember from Brian's RMA... he pasted the link to our review, said he didn't get what was advertised to him, and they started the refund/return process with no mention of restocking or store credit.

#15 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

In the lead article, you mention Newegg offering full refunds for the drive. I bought a 120gb Vertex 2, and sent them an email on Saturday. I received a response today to the effect of, "It's a nonrefundable item, you can get a store credit," and I can only assume there'll be a 15% restocking fee. There doesn't happen to be some case number I can reference which would point to them knowing how to handle this differently than any other drive, is there? Thanks.

Right - in my RMA i put a link to our OCZ coverage and they offered the RMA with no issue. I suggest a follow-up email with that data. If they still resist, get on the phone and don't stop escalating until you get what you want. Let us know how it goes.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#16 lolpatrol

lolpatrol

• 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

Right - in my RMA i put a link to our OCZ coverage and they offered the RMA with no issue. I suggest a follow-up email with that data. If they still resist, get on the phone and don't stop escalating until you get what you want. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks - I did just that. Also, thank you for your in-depth work on all of this.

#17 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

Thanks! We always like to put the readers first, and this was one of those topics that could have been painful for most places to cover.

#18 lolpatrol

lolpatrol

• 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:46 AM

Thanks! We always like to put the readers first, and this was one of those topics that could have been painful for most places to cover.

As a followup, they did offer a refund after the second email (in which I'd linked to your review), so all's well in consumer land (at least for this particular consumer).

#19 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

Good for you, glad it worked out.

Side note...the 25nm in the Vertex 3 performs much better ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#20 jrichard333

jrichard333

• 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Is the 120gb Vertex 2 affected? Is there a way to know for sure if you have an affected drive? I got a 120gb vertex 2 from Microcenter about a week ago. I just ran an HDTune benchmark (attached) which makes it look like I have the slower version. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by jrichard333, 01 March 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#21 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

The 120's were definitely affected. Best thing is to check your shipping firmware...what version do you have? 27 and you're probably fine, 28 and you're probably not ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#22 jrichard333

jrichard333

• 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

The 120's were definitely affected. Best thing is to check your shipping firmware...what version do you have? 27 and you're probably fine, 28 and you're probably not ;)

Got the 28! I just noticed on the OCZ forums that they are coming out with a tool that will tell the user which drive they have. It should be out this week. In the meantime, I started the RMA process to at least check out my options. I'm hoping they will ship the new drive and let me return mine upon receipt.

Thanks for the help

#23 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

Yeah, their RMA process is very slow, so best that you got in line.

We're testing a "new new" Vertex 2 60GB right now and so far it's looking better. We'll post some details soon.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#24 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:03 AM

Looking good is putting it mildly. It rocked.

I would love it if the new drives replace the old completely, but I think it will just be a "if you ask for it you can get it deal" from OCZ. The 32Gb 25nm 60GB Vertex 2 is faster than the original 34nm model. Full benchmarks are done and will be sent off to our art guy for a post later in the week.

#25 bluechipwi

bluechipwi

• 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:37 AM

Got the 28! I just noticed on the OCZ forums that they are coming out with a tool that will tell the user which drive they have. It should be out this week. .....

per "Tool" to test 25nm or 32nm SSD.
The following program was provided in the following OCZ forum thread ..
New update on the 25nm OCZ SSD drives-- In the thread, see update section "EDIT February 28, 2011" displays the info quote/below.

Toolbox version that supports checking the die size of your SSD:

Download it HERE

Open the Toolbox (run as administrator), select the drive, go to details, then click the die size button.

All the previous rules apply to this version of the toolbox, you will NOT see any drives if you have the Intel RST 10.x series driver installed for your AHCI controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users