• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

The storage market is seeing new technology hit the retail shelves, but for most consumers it doesn't mean faster drives or greater reliability. SSD manufacturers are starting to release drives with 25nm NAND flash, the newest type of flash memory, which is cheaper to make but offers fewer write cycles than the current-generation 34nm NAND. OCZ was the first mainstream SSD provider to shift to 25nm NAND, doing so largely in the dark - that is, unless you recently purchased a Vertex 2 or Agility 2 that was under 180GB. In that case, you may be intimately familiar with some of the "new features" of 25nm NAND and OCZ's controversial marketing decisions. But first let's take a step back.

Full Story

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

We just got our hands on two 60GB Vertex 2's, one's a 25nm and one's a 34nm. While most users won't be able to tell, we can and will have benchmarks soon.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 WX4SNO

WX4SNO

• 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

We just got our hands on two 60GB Vertex 2's, one's a 25nm and one's a 34nm. While most users won't be able to tell, we can and will have benchmarks soon.

Please post when you do have those benchmarks....just ordered a 60GB Vertex 2 and I'd like to know if it's the 25nm or 34nm...hoping for the latter. Ordered off Newegg so there's no return...but hoping it doesn't disappoint. Also ordered a 120GB Intel...hopefully it's still 34nm :D

#4 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

I am actually wrapping up the data to send off to the graphics guy. If I had to pay the same price for a newer model (formats as 51GB instead of 55.9GB as the old one does) I would be pretty ticked off. We actually lucked out you could say. Amazon still ships the 34nm model whereas Newegg has the 25nm one right now. That allowed us to get two completely fresh samples of both to put head to head.

Its speed drops a lot in some areas, a little in others, and is on par in select spots.

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

Please post when you do have those benchmarks....just ordered a 60GB Vertex 2 and I'd like to know if it's the 25nm or 34nm...hoping for the latter. Ordered off Newegg so there's no return...but hoping it doesn't disappoint. Also ordered a 120GB Intel...hopefully it's still 34nm :D

If off NE it's definitely 25nm. Intel is on 34nm for some time still, as are many others.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:17 PM

Wowzers is all I can say after wrapping up the benchmarks. To give a taste on IOMeter sequential R/W alone...

34nm 60GB Vertex 2= 248/246 R/W
25nm 60GB Vertex 2= 182/215 R/W

At this point it is blatent false advertising if OCZ doesn't change its marketing information on all sites they sell their drives. They still claim it has "285/275MB/s" speeds and a 60GB capacity which is just lying plain and simple.

#7 rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

• 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

34nm 60GB Vertex 2= 248/246 R/W
25nm 60GB Vertex 2= 182/215 R/W

Thanks for the heads up. Glad i have the 'old' 34nm vertex 2 as my boot drive. will be a while before i pick up another - if thats how they're going to play it.

#8 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

If it was sold as a different drive... this wouldn't be a problem. Stuff changes all the time, but that doesn't mean you can keep selling it as the old model with the same advertised specs. But if you think buying a Vertex 2 right now means getting the same Vertex 2 you bought 4 months ago... that is where the uproar is coming from.

#9 WX4SNO

WX4SNO

• 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

At this point it is blatent false advertising if OCZ doesn't change its marketing information on all sites they sell their drives. They still claim it has "285/275MB/s" speeds and a 60GB capacity which is just lying plain and simple.

Exactly! I should have done my homework a little more before purchasing that Vertex 2 last week...at the time I was comparing read/write speeds and prices...so I purchased it based on the fact that it came with 285/275 MBs-1 read/write. OCZ needs to inform sellers such as Newegg so they can update their product pages (if they haven't already). Right now, NE lists the Vertex with those specs...I intend to send mine right back and demand a refund or store credit or something...then I'll purchase another Intel. Absolute fraud if you ask me!

#10 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:07 AM

These two CDM shots could almost write a review by themselves.

Old vs New... guess which one I would want in my computer?

Attached File  CDM v2 old.png   29.17KB   13 downloadsAttached File  CDM v2.png   28.54KB   18 downloads

#11 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

Egad is about all you can say. And the drive on the right is being sold without any notification to the consumer.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#12 theflynnster

theflynnster

• 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

How can I tell which version I'm purchasing? Any physical difference or serial number sequence. I will be buying locally so I can examine the drive prior to purchase.

#13 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

Well at first it looked like a guide OCZ provided would have told you the difference. Some models have an E in the last half of the model number. Well we got two "E" models, one being 34nm the other 25nm. You don't know until you plug it in, look at the firmware, and look at the formatted capacity.

Any of those would prevent being able to return the drive though.

#14 WX4SNO

WX4SNO

• 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Talked to Newegg a few minutes ago. According to them, as long as you don't open the shipping package, they will do a full refund and waive the 15% restocking fee. HaHA! :lol: So, now when I get my OCZ SSD package, it's either going to be refused upon delivery or I'll send it back insured and unopened.

With this good news (and virtually my money back), I contacted Intel to verify that no 25nm SSDs have been distributed. They assured me that they have not been released yet, so I went back to Newegg and ordered the X-25M 120GB. A little more in price and capacity than what I wanted, but I know that it will be 34nm NAND and better quality/performance. Take that OCZ! Lost my faith in them over this blunder...

#15 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

That's you and I'm glad you're lucky enough to have spotted this issue early...but for the poor people who bought last week...this is a tough pill to swallow.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#16 SSDaddict

SSDaddict

• 29 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Attached File  CDM v2.png   28.54KB   18 downloads

That's pretty bad, could you try running one using the 0-Fill option?

They've released a new firmware (1.29), changelog is still not available.
GB X58A-UD7 | i7 980X | 12GB Mushkin Redline| X25-E 32GB | Vertex LE 100GB | C300 256GB | 9211-8i + 9260-8i | Asus 5870 | Areca 1880-4GB

#17 Mkruer

Mkruer

• 283 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

are the new drives using the same number of chips? is that why the performance took a dive?
Lian-Li PC-V2000 Plus Aluminum Case; Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO; Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 @ 4.0Ghz ; Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C; 8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition @ 1333Mhz; Creative Audigy 2 ZS; Sapphire Radeon HD 5770; 1xOCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX180G; 1xWestern Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB; 2xWestern Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB; Western Digital WDG1U3200 My Book Essential Edition 320GB USB 2.0; Samsung STORY Station 2TB USB 3.0.

#18 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

No, different number of chips, check the review here -

http://www.storagere...oczssd22vtxe60g

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#19 eva2000

eva2000

• 30 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

That's you and I'm glad you're lucky enough to have spotted this issue early...but for the poor people who bought last week...this is a tough pill to swallow.

yeah i know quite a few folks bought as recently as yesterday to get stuck with slower 25nm vertex2

paying the 15% restocking fee would be cheaper than the paid upgrade route + shipping to ocz but that only fixes capacity and not performance.

#20 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

yeah i know quite a few folks bought as recently as yesterday to get stuck with slower 25nm vertex2

paying the 15% restocking fee would be cheaper than the paid upgrade route + shipping to ocz but that only fixes capacity and not performance.

It seems at least on the 60GB model performance is completely tied to the reduced number of channels into the SF controller. Rolling back to 4GB 25nm chips would fill up all available slots and bring up the speed. This is exactly like how the Intel X25-V is slower than the X25-M, it has the same controller and flash... just less of it.

I wonder if NewEgg would let us return our 25nm Vertex 2 with the warranty sticker busted wide open for this review :lol:

#21 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

I will be able to do that first thing in the morning. As to the firmware update, nothing is touching these drives until we are wrapped up with them. If that 32nm model bricks as a result we could be out of one of the few available "clean" models to add content or future benchmarks to that review. ;)

#22 sequoia464

sequoia464

• 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:37 AM

I will be able to do that first thing in the morning. As to the firmware update, nothing is touching these drives until we are wrapped up with them. If that 32nm model bricks as a result we could be out of one of the few available "clean" models to add content or future benchmarks to that review. ;)

OCZ also has a 16 chip 25nm nand 60 Gb Vertex2 drive. Any chance of including one of those in the test that was recently done comparing the 25nm and 34nm Vertex 2's?? If one can be found yet that is. That is the drive that OCZ is offering as a replacement for the 8 chip 25nm design.

#23 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

Understand that OCZ won't send us drives to review, we asked for this article and had to go buy our own. We'll try to get one, but we can only do so much when they're not going to be cooperative.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#24 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:55 AM

Ask and you shall receive!

Attached File  cdm 0 32nm.png   29.5KB   5 downloadsAttached File  cdm 0 25nm.png   28.55KB   2 downloads

#25 slyck

slyck

• 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:39 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for an unbiased article. So hard to find any site nowadays that doesn't sugarcoat any companies shady practices for fear of lost advertising revenue. Even the site I used to trust most, Anandtech, seems biased toward Intel, Nvidia, and OCZ nowadays(or I just finally realized.) Anyway I have made sure to unblock Storagereview from Adblock Plus and will click on your ads to support true journalism as it is so hard to find.

P.S. Not new to your site, just been a few years and have renewed interest in PCs, but thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users