Best performing HD not going SSD yet

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jarablue

jarablue

• 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

I am going to a platter based drive after my ocz vertex nightmare. Right now what is the best performing platter drive under 200$?

I am running W7 64bit, i7 920 cpu and 6gigs of DDR3 in tri channel.

I don't mind going back to platter drives. I just want something dependable and good.

What do you guys think?

#2 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:52 AM

Velociraptor 600GB. If you want even more performance, perhaps a nice 15K SCSI/SAS drive would satisfy, although sometimes they don't perform that well in a desktop environment because the drive's firmware isn't tuned to desktop usage, so the velociraptor may be the best bet.
EDIT:: Above recommendations are above $200!

Not quite as fast as the velociraptor, but no slouch, the 2TB Caviar Black with the Piezoelectric 'wrist'. It's the fastest high-capacity drive ATM.
You can get it on goharddrive_com for $100 right now (White label (mediamax))

Hope this helps

Edited by danwat1234, 29 December 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

The VR 600GB is a very good drive, I tend to agree. What sort of capacity do you need? I assume not much if you're coming from an SSD. Also possibly worth considering based on your activity would be the Momentus XT.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

Great idea Brian! Yea I forgot to mention that the Cavar Black 2TB is quite the beast (loud access noises on mine anyway).
The VR or MomentusXT would be quieter.. you could enable AAM but then the Caviar Black's access times go from ~11.5-12ms to ~16ms!

#5 TSullivan

TSullivan

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

Well I might be the odd duck, but I vote SSD again, but go for something other than OCZ-made. The Intel X25-M is rock solid and probably one of, if not THE most reliable SSD on the market.

#6 ICY DOCK

ICY DOCK

• 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

Hey Jarablue,

Just wanted to add to the different list of options, the Samsung Spinpoint F3 (HD103SJ), 1TB and is a pretty good performing drive, especially if you're on a budget as well!

With your issue about the SSD, it could just be that one, I personally do not have any issues with my Kingston V-series drive.

Hope this helps with your search!

Edited by ICY DOCK, 29 December 2010 - 06:43 PM.

Different Storage, By Design.
www.icydock.com

#7 acyuta

acyuta

• 36 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:39 AM

WD Caviar Black 2 TB or WD RE4 2TB. If you want marginally faster performance at substantially higher price, then Velociraptor 600 GB
I do not find Caviar Black 2 TB making any noises in my system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users