SMART monitoring

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mikeyb

mikeyb

• 143 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

Is there a SMART monitoring app that will work with onboard RAID controllers?

The onboard Intel matrix lacks detailed SMART information and no way of sending email alerts, just pop-ups.

I understand that the RAID controller will 'hide' attached disk, but wondered if there was a solution out there.

I would like to monitor SMART data so I can see if a hard drive is likely to fail soon, I gather that most RAID controllers (Areca etc)do not predict a potential failure, they detect when a drive has failed and then alert you, rebuild, possibly using hotspare.

#2 superlgn

superlgn

• 118 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

The onboard Intel matrix lacks detailed SMART information and no way of sending email alerts, just pop-ups.

I have an Intel Matrix Raid on my gaming system and I can load up a Linux rescue CD and see both hard drives individually along with the raid device. I don't know if that's unique to Linux or what, but everything I've seen on Intel's site says you can't monitor SMART. On my Linux servers at work I prefer software over fakeraid, but a long time ago I did do an onboard raid using a VIA controller and I saw the same thing... Individual disks exposed to the system. smartmontools is able to work with the drives just fine. No clue.

I understand that the RAID controller will 'hide' attached disk, but wondered if there was a solution out there.

Could the Windows drivers be doing something special here?

I would like to monitor SMART data so I can see if a hard drive is likely to fail soon, I gather that most RAID controllers (Areca etc)do not predict a potential failure, they detect when a drive has failed and then alert you, rebuild, possibly using hotspare.

The manpage for smartctl documents special arguments for 3ware, areca, and other controllers. I regularly work with 3ware and you're able to pass a -d 3ware,<portno> to smartctl to view stats and test the drive. I have an Adaptec 2080SA at work and it sounds like you should be able to access /dev/sg<devnum>, but it doesn't work for me. Could be a driver issue as it's an older Linux kernel (2.16.18 in CentOS 5) or maybe a firmware thing. 3ware controllers do poll SMART data on the drives for issues, so it's possible they may notify if a certain threshold is reached, but I prefer to have smartd running.

I'd love to be able to test and monitor the drives in my gaming system, but it looks like the only thing I'll be able to do is do the verify the array every once in a while and boot sysrescd when I think there's a problem. I don't like Intel's software... I can't even figure out how to automate a verify. :(

Windows software raid may be a better way to go. It'd be great if you could break the Intel raid, boot one drive, and then insert the other disk and mirror it using the disk manager or whatever, but I have absolutely no experience with Windows software raid and I don't know if that would work. I probably won't find out either since I'm planning to use the large 3ware array on my main Linux desktop as a SAN if/when one of the drives go. I've already got PXE, syslinux, dhcp, and iSCSI setup and tested, so it's just a waiting game. :P

Edited by superlgn, 09 September 2010 - 10:36 PM.

#3 mikeyb

mikeyb

• 143 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

I've used a few hardware controllers, long time since I used 3ware (had a bad experience with several of them, so switched to Areca, LSI Logic SAS), many of the hardware controllers did monitor defect growth and the such like.

I have used the http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and also dual boot the machine with ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-i386, which now has a very nice GUI SMART disk tool included.

I'm no programmer, but I think for the SMART (on Windows boxes at least) data to be passed to the OS, it would require the SMART monitor application to some how access the RAID drivers, and tap into the SMART data, and that might be the problem, the RAID drivers have no API for that.

Oh well, like you, I will have to settle on booting the machine to Linux once and awhile. :(

I still haven't decided on my longer term home storage, I'm really tempted with unRAID, but it doesn't have a built-in torrent client, can be done but it's a bit of a kludge. I'm also trying to keep everything as energy efficient as I can, if I get fed up with waiting for Oracle to free-up the licensing for ZFS to Linux, then I might go for OpenSolaris and run ZFS on that.

I might try and run it on one of these http://en.wikipedia....wiki/SheevaPlug, well there is an Ubuntu port on the way.

You might be interested in Openfiler - I used for around a year with great success, the free open source version (community)

Edited by mikeyb, 11 September 2010 - 07:25 PM.

#4 superlgn

superlgn

• 118 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

Last I heard Oracle was kicking their OpenSolaris community to the curb and shutting down development so they can just focus on Solaris releases. FreeBSD has ZFS, but I think it's a bit older. There's supposed to be a native Linux ZFS coming soon from a company working on a port that'll be distributed separately to avoid licensing problems. The user would have to build the module and tools themselves or something like that. Everything Oracle and Sun sounds bad to me. If you were to go ZFS, I guess I'd go with FreeBSD. There's btrfs for Linux, but the disk format is still changing and I don't think they have raid 5 or 6 yet, maybe no raid at all. Even when it becomes stable and they have all of their features, I'm not going to jump right in... I'll probably stick with my 3ware array and xfs for a while. If I make a change anywhere it'll probably be to a less complicated setup, md raid10 with 4*2TB hard drives or something like that.

I don't know if Openfiler would be any good for me since my big storage server also doubles as my main desktop.

Those plug computers look pretty cool. I've never seen anything like that before...

#5 mikeyb

mikeyb

• 143 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on the Oracle/ZFS situation, it kept changing so often I eventually took my off the ball.

What Oracle are doing doesn't really bode well for the wide spread use of ZFS.

I knew ZFS was available for FreeBSD, there seemed to be quite a few issues with it, and some of the functionality missing, thought they might have fixed some of them, this in conjunction with the previous comment, and reading your supplied links has killed ZFS as an option for me - I really appreciate your input on this. :)

I currently use RAID1 for my personal storage, so I think I will carry on with that for now (possibly RAID10), I will now definitely give unRAID some serious consideration.

Edited by mikeyb, 12 September 2010 - 07:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users