• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

Western Digital's Caviar Black hard drive series has grown to be synonymous with performance and speed in the consumer desktop space. The newest and highest capacity Caviar Black is a 3.5 2TB 7200RPM model with 500GB platters and other Western Digital goodies like dual processors, dual actuators and technologies to optimize the drive for power consumption, minimal vibration and less wear to the recording head. Do all these features make for the best consumer-class hard drive? Read the full review to find out.

Western Digital Caviar Black Review (2TB)

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 beq

beq

• 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

Western Digital's Caviar Black hard drive series has grown to be synonymous with performance and speed in the consumer desktop space. The newest and highest capacity Caviar Black is a 3.5" 2TB 7200RPM model with 500GB platters and other Western Digital goodies like dual processors, dual actuators and technologies to optimize the drive for power consumption, minimal vibration and less wear to the recording head. Do all these features make for the best consumer-class hard drive? Read the full review to find out.

Western Digital Caviar Black Review (2TB)

Thanks for the review, and the revitalized SR site! Given that you have the WD RE4 2TB enterprise drive in the comparison, I assume we'll be seeing its own review article shortly? I'm leaning towards getting the RE4 2TB drives for a new QNAP or Synology RAID NAS, considering the RE4's TLER, higher MTBF, shock/vibration sensors, etc.

It's surprising to see the WD drives surpassing Seagate in most of the benchmarks. I seem to recall years ago that the WD drives at the time had excelled in desktop usage, but were bested by Seagate in multi-user server scenarios...

But it's also interesting that your real-world HTPC test found the Seagate Constellation ES 2TB much closer to parity with the WD RE4 (and beating the WD Caviar Black). I wonder if your other Storagemark 2010 real-world tests will also find that the Seagate performs better than synthetic benchmarks would suggest?

Anyways, can you clarify whether the WD Caviar Black 2TB supports NCQ (just like the WD RE4 and Seagate drives)? WD's Sep 2009 press release mentions that the RE4 2TB supports NCQ whereas the Caviar Black 2TB does not (see the section titled "Additional Features for WD RE4 2 TB Enterprise Hard Drives"). But another site seems to think that NCQ is supported (and really, at this point in time I would've expected all new hard drives to have it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users