• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

Hitachi SimpleDrive external hard drives are value-oriented storage solutions with the core essentials. This version of the SimpleDrive is Hitachi's third and comes in 500GB, 1TB and 2TB capacities. Our review model has a whopping 2.0TB of storage, a USB 2.0 interface and is ready to handle as much data as you can throw at it.

Full Review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:48 PM

$250 for 2TB?
Interesting how I can get a Cavalry caxb 2TB hard drive with an ESATA interface & USB2.0 for $160, .. do a google search.

EDIT:: I see that the Hitachi Simpledrive is $180 easily .. if you do a Google Search. Not a bad price I guess... but it doesn't show it as being "rev 3" .. so I do not know if it is the same product, but at any rate, it looks as though it is a single drive, not dual 1tb or anything like that.

Edited by danwat1234, 01 March 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:35 PM

That's not the same product, Rev 2 is a black roundish case that also came in 2TB capacity.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

That's not the same product, Rev 2 is a black roundish case that also came in 2TB capacity.

Psh.

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

We received this note today from someone who read the review:

Quick spin: While it is difficult to take the case apart, I just did! It turns out that you need a medium-sized flatblade screwdriver to pry the base from the bottom, much like prying the case off of a iPod (yes I took one apart too!) The good news is once the base is off, the rest is fairly easy and the case can be re-used. I did this mod because USB 2.0 performance BLOWS!!! I HATE IT! This drive will be converted to eSATA in the longer term.
Short-term it will be inside my dear MacPro Quad!!

Cheers,
Don

Since I knew we had to return our drive I was hesitant to get forceful, but good to know the trick to opening this guy up.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 Winterman

Winterman

• 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

I have bought this hard drive and read your review. I agree with most of it, but not all.
You are right about the vibrations. It was the first thing I noticed as well. It is caused by the small rubber feet it rests on. They simply are not big enough. I solved it by cutting a piece of an old mousepad to size and put the HD on that. Vibrations are gone and the disk is quiet'.
As far as the heat goes, I wonder who will actually use an external HD that intensive. If you need a disk that hard you should get an internal slave. Ecternal disks are mostly used for backup, not as a "real" harddisk.
I experienced the aspin-up time only the first time I approached the disk. After that it responds right away every time even when I turn off the power for some time.

In Europe, the 1TB goes for around 80 euros and only takes up 1 outlet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users