• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

Over the Christmas season I installed a new 1TB Caviar Black in my parents computer and upgraded the XP system to Windows 7. New retail drive from BestBuy, no physical damage or anything. After the everything was said and done with the install a couple of days later the BIOS would not see the drive at POST. It could see the older drive still running as the secondary drive and ended up booting from that. Switching from AHCI to compatibility mode made the system recognize the drive again and still booted like normal.

Speed tests and other stress tests have not shown any problems. A few days after that incident I switched the computer back to AHCI mode and upgraded the motherboard BIOS and all has been well.

Anyone think it might be a weird fluke on the motherboard or could this be a problem with the new drive? I would really hate to go through the process again, especially since I would need to wipe the old drive before returning it since it carries sensitive tax information from the county (father is the municipal tax guy).

#2 sircharles32

sircharles32

• 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:56 AM

Is your dad's computer based on an ATI/AMD chipset? I know that ATI/AMD southbridges have had issues with AHCI issues.
The only solution for those chipsets is to run the drive in IDE / compatibility mode.

The other question is why do you need the drive to run in AHCI mode? Does your dad hot swap SATA hard drives?
If he doesn't, then I say run the drives in IDE /compatibility mode, and leave it.

#3 mockingbird

mockingbird

• 173 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

Is your dad's computer based on an ATI/AMD chipset? I know that ATI/AMD southbridges have had issues with AHCI issues.
The only solution for those chipsets is to run the drive in IDE / compatibility mode.

The other question is why do you need the drive to run in AHCI mode? Does your dad hot swap SATA hard drives?
If he doesn't, then I say run the drives in IDE /compatibility mode, and leave it.

Really?

I've never had problems with AHCI and AMD chipsets. What problems are you refering to?

#4 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

Well I was going for NCQ that AHCI provides ;)

Motherboard is an Intel made 965-based desktop board. Nothing fancy

#5 sircharles32

sircharles32

• 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

One forum that has recorded issues with AHCI and AMD/ATI chipsets is @ www.techreport.com

http://techreport.co...50 AHCI#p925371

http://techreport.co...50 AHCI#p918353

Anyway, problem is moot since you're using an Intel chipset.

Why do you need NCQ in a single user environment? It really is only useful in multi-user environments (ie. servers).
In a desktop / workstation environment, NCQ isn't really necessary, and can actually lower performance.

Do some searches on sites like:

www.anandtech.com
www.xbitlabs.com
www.techreport.com

specifically looking at NCQ and Western Digital hard drives, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

#6 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

Honestly my concern for running it in AHCI was not as big as the reason why it all of a sudden stopped working.

#7 mockingbird

mockingbird

• 173 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

One forum that has recorded issues with AHCI and AMD/ATI chipsets is @ www.techreport.com

http://techreport.co...50 AHCI#p925371

http://techreport.co...50 AHCI#p918353

Anyway, problem is moot since you're using an Intel chipset.

Well, I'm no fan of AMD, and sorry for this mild thread derailment, but the evidence in the first thread at least is anecdotal. I've never experienced these issues and have done over 10 AMD machines with AHCI and Seagate 7200.11 and 7200.12 drives.

Edited by mockingbird, 14 January 2010 - 02:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users