• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 munz

munz

• 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:51 PM

hi everyone,

it's been a while since my last visit and again i could use the helpful assistance of some of the veteran members here. i just purchased another WD elements 3.5' external hard drive (model no: WDE1U10000). not sure if it's got 16MB or 32MB cache, however my problem is that this drive (as all external drives) are factory formatted in FAT32. this normally isn't a problem however i have a large collection of HD files and 8.5GB DVD rips on my system. FAT32 doesn't allow you to transfer files larger than 4GB to the drive.

Question: can i format this drive to NTFS without any negative side effects? if so then why do the manufacturers still format them in FAT32 when NTFS has been around for years?

thanks for your assistance.

#2 Mickey

Mickey

• Patron
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

There is no problem with reformatting to NTFS. Manufacturers likely format to FAT32 by default because it's usable by the widest range of end users out-of-the-box. Saves on support calls. ;)

#3 Tacoboy

Tacoboy

• 89 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

I've never looked into it, but why would any hard drive manufacturer format with FAT32, are you sure it's FAT32?
Just download Western Digital's "Data Lifeguard Tools" and reformat with NTFS.

Win 8.1

AMD 4170/8GB memory

C300 180GB SSD

AMD 7870 2GB

#4 Chewy509

Chewy509

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

but why would any hard drive manufacturer format with FAT32

Does MacOS X support NTFS?
Does Linux support NTFS? (reliably)
Does FreeBSD support NTFS?
Does QNX support NTFS?
Does Solaris/OpenSolaris support NTFS?

(What I mean is, that support works 100% of the time out of the box, not needing 3rd party software).

All the above support FAT32 natively... And plus, you don't have to worry about file security issues with FAT32 formatted drives.
"SCSI is not magic. There are fundamental technical reasons why you have to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain every now and then." John F. Woods

#5 munz

munz

• 21 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:44 AM

thanks for the feedback guys, so can i just format within windows or is there a benefit of formatting using Data Lifeguard Tools?

#6 discjet

discjet

• 77 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

Go ahead and format with Windows' built-in tools, no need to get WD Data LifeGuard stuff for that.

and one more to Chewy509's list:

Do USB-drive supporting standalone media players and digital tv receivers support NTFS?

#7 HMTK

HMTK

• 1,044 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

If there's already data on the disk, just convert the file system.

convert x: /fs:ntfs
Giga-Byte GA-M61P-S3, Radeon HD 2400, Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 4 x 2 GB DDR 2 667, LiteOn DVD Rewriter, Toshiba DVD drive, Maxtor Diamondmax 17 160 GB SATA, WD4000AAKS 400 GB SATA, Vista Ultimate 32 (-> 64 bit Any Time Soon Now)

#8 tipycle

tipycle

• 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

You should know NTFS support more features than the FAT32. And considering the superiority it gives, many people convert FAT32 to NTFS to experience its superiority. We know that convert FAT32 to NTFS is simple--through the disk management, but if we want to revert it back (such as we face some trouble about the NTFS file system-NTFS file system invalid or can not recognize) it is difficult to finish unless format the partition.
So, I share something useful information about the conversion between the NTFS and FAT32 I just got yesterday--there is new released software named NTFS to FAT32 Converter, it can easily convert NTFS to FAT32 without data losing. Maybe you will use it in case. NTFS to FAT32 Converter will be a right-hand file system assistant. Your trouble to convert NTFS to FAT32 will no longer fret you.
http://aomeitech.com...s-to-fat32.html
You can get the information that you wanted to find through the detail article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users