Photo

Velociraptor premature failure rate (bad drives, premature to market?)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#76 jpiszcz

jpiszcz

• 578 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

I think 2 or 3 of my drives were updated using the utility (maybe only the 2 HLFS ones)

Posted Image

The bad news: The other 9-10 did not update:

Posted Image

#77 vesastef

vesastef

• 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:16 AM

Same here,
all my 3 GLFS drives cannot be updated by the tool.

I'm going to retry a RMA to WD.

Stefano

#78 data

data

• 112 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

I've had the WD 300HLFS - 01GU0 for a while now (knock on wood) and still running good. How do i check my firmware and should I update it if it needs it?

#79 jpiszcz

jpiszcz

• 578 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

I've had the WD 300HLFS - 01GU0 for a while now (knock on wood) and still running good. How do i check my firmware and should I update it if it needs it?

If you don't have any problems with your drive, I wouldn't touch it.

Grab smartmontools and run smartctl -a /dev/sda (or a windows program that can read the smart data off the drive, it should tell you).

#80 Michal Soltys

Michal Soltys

• 29 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:42 AM

Hmm... Interesting situation.

What would you choose if you had only 2 options?

1. Get Seagate and pray the servers do not crash.

2. Get WD and power cycle the servers every 49 days.

I'd buy HGST drives - which I started doing recently, whenever I need a new one.

#81 jpiszcz

jpiszcz

• 578 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

Hmm... Interesting situation.

What would you choose if you had only 2 options?

1. Get Seagate and pray the servers do not crash.

2. Get WD and power cycle the servers every 49 days.

I'd buy HGST drives - which I started doing recently, whenever I need a new one.

I have have had no issues with RE3s.

#82 raubvogel

raubvogel

• 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

Any hint to persuade them to give the firmware upgrade? Just came out of a phone call with their tier2 people and, to put in a good way, it was not particularly productive call.

#83 jpiszcz

jpiszcz

• 578 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:48 PM

Any hint to persuade them to give the firmware upgrade? Just came out of a phone call with their tier2 people and, to put in a good way, it was not particularly productive call.

The firmware was posted here (a link to it) - it is the same file as the official firmware that the previous person used.

#84 jpiszcz

jpiszcz

• 578 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

The firmware was posted here (a link to it) - it is the same file as the official firmware that the previous person used.

It was posted here:
http://www.hardforum...hp?p=1034692197

Which points to here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?imzyjmumrjm

Which points to here:
http://download171.m...rjm/0404V02.exe

The MD5SUM matches the official firmware that someone sent me.

5135d00cf39dc1b89164c7027a685aed 0404V02.exe
5135d00cf39dc1b89164c7027a685aed 0404V02.exe *official

#85 jpiszcz

jpiszcz

• 578 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

The PDF not included in that link says:

WD VelociRaptor® Hard Drives
Firmware change

Dear Valued WD Customer:
As a result of product evaluation consistent with Western Digital's quality
systems and our commitment to provide the highest quality products, an
update is being made to the WD VelociRaptor product family.

Description of Change:
Performance enhancement: Sequential read and write
Compatibility enhancements: Double status FIS
TLER timer and counter synchronization
These changes do not affect the form or fit of the drive but do positively
affect the function of the drive.

Details of Firmware Changes:
Performance improvements to sequential read and write:
Firmware release includes a function to allow the drive to stay in the
sequential mode if there was no other activity. This particularly benefits
certain SATA RAID environments.

Current Model Numbers Current Firmware Revision
WD3000BLFS-01YBU0
WD1500BLFS-01YBU0
WD740BLFS-01YBU0
WD3000HLFS-01G6U0
WD1500HLFS-01G6U0
WD740HLFS-01G6U0
04.04V01
04.04V01
04.04V01
04.04V01
04.04V01
04.04V01

New Model Numbers New Firmware Revision
WD3000BLFS-01YBU1
WD1500BLFS-01YBU1
WD740BLFS-01YBU1
WD3000HLFS-01G6U1
WD1500HLFS-01G6U1
WD740HLFS-01G6U1
04.04V02
04.04V02
04.04V02
04.04V02
04.04V02
04.04V02

Double status FIS:
The drive sent two status FIS (C001h and 5001h) after COMRESET.
Although the drive behavior did not violate the SATA specification it still
created issues for some SATA host bus adapters. This firmware will only
post 5001h when the drive is ready.

TLER:
Corrected an issue where after 49 days of continuous operation the drive
could falsely report an error to the Host. This issue does not result in data
loss and only occurs once every 49 days of continuous operation and only
if a read/write operation is in progress when the counter rolls to zero. The
new firmware resolves this issue but as an alternate workaround, the drive
can be power cycled before 49 days elapses to avoid the potential error.

Field Update Utility/Binary available July 24, 2009.

Manufacturing Implementation Date: August 21, 2009

Please contact your Western Digital representative for any questions
regarding this Product Change Notification.

#86 VincentsMusic

VincentsMusic

• 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

I'm having a really strange problem. I had two of the 2.5" VelociRaptors that that I received as an RMA replacement about a year ago. They were set as a two drive RAID 0 RAID for use with a Mac. They worked fine, but then out of nowhere they wouldn't spin up, but instead made this weird two tone sound. I received 2 drives as a replacement. This time I set them up to use them as individual drives. They worked fine for several days. Today I was using them, then unmounted them from the Mac Desktop with the Eject command. When I tried to mount them again they wouldn't spin up and instead I got the same, strange two tone sound. So in a matter of minutes I went from having two perfectly working drives to two dead drives that won't spin up. The two tone sound is really strange. It sounds like it could be some kind of diagnostic tone, but the WD guys in tech support didn't know anything about it. Anyone else experience this? In my case I've only used these for several days, so it wouldn't be the 49 day bug that others were talking about. Thanks!

#87 Gr1nch

Gr1nch

• 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:15 AM

I too went through the same crap with my 5 drives.
First, I was told the firmware update was taken off of their website because it didn't fix the issue or the entire issue or something. I was furthermore told that what they want customers to do is RMA the drives and they will send them new drives that have the update already installed on them with the issue fixed. So, after advanced RMA'ing, I realized a week later that not all the money was put on hold for Drive X 5, so I called. I find out that the 4/5 RMAs "didn't go through" even though I used identical information for all of them outside of the differing serial numbers.

Next, when getting the RMAs fixed I was told that actually the support person "had a concern that RMAing is not going to fix the problem". This was followed with, "we have no known issues with these drives at all, so I don't see how RMAing them is going to do anything." This was aside from also being told that "we don't have any of these actually in our warehouse so it will be at least 7-10 days before we even get any more in and then can send them to you".

So he passes me to tier 2 (another 30 minute hold). Tier 2 again says, "we have no known issues with this drive model. Further more, we do not release firmware updates ever for our raid class drives!". Finally, "we recommend you run our diagnostics as it may not even be your drives causing it". Talk about taking 5 fricken steps backwards. I explained to him the article, quoting their own words provided above about the problem. The reply was "well there are no issues with these drives and you can find forum articles just about anywhere about any hardware and it doesn't really mean anything". So, he bottom lined it to me, saying he would RMA is thats what I want but it won't fix anything.

I said I was very frustrated that he would not even listen to the issue described in my research or believe there may be a known issue he just doesn't see. He finally agreed to let me send him the links to the articles and said he'd call me back. An hour later, I call in and at tier 2 I hear that he had left for the day, so I ordered the advanced RMA, being told the same thing from this person, and had 5xdrive price held off my card. An hour after that, I suddenly get an email from the engineer that I was told had left with the same content as is posted above and the firmware update.
My last problem is the update has been running about an hour now with only 2 of my 5 drives connected and it still hasn't come back. I booted off cd to mini-xp and ran it. ntvdm.exe is at 98-100%. Of course I'm very concerned I can't just restart even if I can try getting a more barebones DOS boot, which I wish I did now. I'm just hoping its working. The hard drive light is blinking at a someone normal pace...

Anyone else know how long the firmware update utility took to run or the likelihood after another hour that I'll perm dmg the drive restarting? :unsure:

#88 jpiszcz

jpiszcz

• 578 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:21 AM

I too went through the same crap with my 5 drives.
First, I was told the firmware update was taken off of their website because it didn't fix the issue or the entire issue or something. I was furthermore told that what they want customers to do is RMA the drives and they will send them new drives that have the update already installed on them with the issue fixed. So, after advanced RMA'ing, I realized a week later that not all the money was put on hold for Drive X 5, so I called. I find out that the 4/5 RMAs "didn't go through" even though I used identical information for all of them outside of the differing serial numbers.

Next, when getting the RMAs fixed I was told that actually the support person "had a concern that RMAing is not going to fix the problem". This was followed with, "we have no known issues with these drives at all, so I don't see how RMAing them is going to do anything." This was aside from also being told that "we don't have any of these actually in our warehouse so it will be at least 7-10 days before we even get any more in and then can send them to you".

So he passes me to tier 2 (another 30 minute hold). Tier 2 again says, "we have no known issues with this drive model. Further more, we do not release firmware updates ever for our raid class drives!". Finally, "we recommend you run our diagnostics as it may not even be your drives causing it". Talk about taking 5 fricken steps backwards. I explained to him the article, quoting their own words provided above about the problem. The reply was "well there are no issues with these drives and you can find forum articles just about anywhere about any hardware and it doesn't really mean anything". So, he bottom lined it to me, saying he would RMA is thats what I want but it won't fix anything.

I said I was very frustrated that he would not even listen to the issue described in my research or believe there may be a known issue he just doesn't see. He finally agreed to let me send him the links to the articles and said he'd call me back. An hour later, I call in and at tier 2 I hear that he had left for the day, so I ordered the advanced RMA, being told the same thing from this person, and had 5xdrive price held off my card. An hour after that, I suddenly get an email from the engineer that I was told had left with the same content as is posted above and the firmware update.
My last problem is the update has been running about an hour now with only 2 of my 5 drives connected and it still hasn't come back. I booted off cd to mini-xp and ran it. ntvdm.exe is at 98-100%. Of course I'm very concerned I can't just restart even if I can try getting a more barebones DOS boot, which I wish I did now. I'm just hoping its working. The hard drive light is blinking at a someone normal pace...

Anyone else know how long the firmware update utility took to run or the likelihood after another hour that I'll perm dmg the drive restarting? :unsure:

Hi,

When I ran it on my 12 drives, each drive took about 10-30 seconds (for the ones that worked). I used the old DOS boot-disk based firmware update method, but again, FYI, it only worked on a few of the drives.

What a waste of time, dealing with all of these issues and it is somewhat irritating WD does not have an official stance on the issue.

#89 6_6_6

6_6_6

• 590 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

Sorry for your troubles. I haven't seen any firmware update taking more than a minute on anything. They are very small.

#90 Michal Soltys

Michal Soltys

• 29 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:59 AM

What a waste of time, dealing with all of these issues and it is somewhat irritating WD does not have an official stance on the issue.

Well, I'd guess their official stance is that the problem doesn't exist :) Unless it gets /really/ public and ugly, I'm sure it will stay this way...

#91 6_6_6

6_6_6

• 590 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:36 AM

Well, I'd guess their official stance is that the problem doesn't exist :) Unless it gets /really/ public and ugly, I'm sure it will stay this way...

Isn't this from WD?

So what do you mean they don't accept the drives or they don have official stance or they say problem does not exist???

THEY RELEASED A FIRMWARE TO FIX THIS!

Maybe I misunderstood something.

Dear Valued WD Customer:

As a result of product evaluation consistent with Western Digital's quality
systems and our commitment to provide the highest quality products, an
update is being made to the WD VelociRaptor product family.

Description of Change:

Performance enhancement: Sequential read and write
Compatibility enhancements: Double status FIS, TLER timer and counter synchronization

These changes do not affect the form or fit of the drive but do positively
affect the function of the drive.

Details of Firmware Changes:

Performance improvements to sequential read and write:
Firmware release includes a function to allow the drive to stay in the
sequential mode if there was no other activity. This particularly benefits
certain SATA RAID environments.

Double status FIS:

The drive sent two status FIS (C001h and 5001h) after COMRESET.
Although the drive behavior did not violate the SATA specification it still
created issues for some SATA host bus adapters. This firmware will only
post 5001h when the drive is ready.

TLER:

Corrected an issue where after 49 days of continuous operation the drive
could falsely report an error to the Host. This issue does not result in data
loss and only occurs once every 49 days of continuous operation and only
if a read/write operation is in progress when the counter rolls to zero. The
new firmware resolves this issue but as an alternate workaround, the drive
can be power cycled before 49 days elapses to avoid the potential error.

Field Update Utility/Binary available July 24, 2009.
Manufacturing Implementation Date: August 21, 2009

#92 Michal Soltys

Michal Soltys

• 29 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

No, my point is that they are likely tired of people reminding them about their screwup, and unless the publicity gets really, really bad, they will never officially and publicly admit to the fault. The typical stance a random company takes these days when there're problems with their products, is that thare are no problems with their products. It's "user fault" / "user's computer fault" / "we don't support linux" / "product is not used in the way it's supposed to be" / "we have years of experience" / etc.

The firmware got released, as far as I can see, accidentally by some support guy with soft heart that wanted to do the right thing.

The problem was being active for like what - 1.5 years ? Now it's the thing of the past, as any freshly produced velociraptor has upgraded firmware anyway. WDC just waited quietly. If occasionally someone will run into the problems again - seriosuly, who gives a damn. IMHO

That's what I meant in my previous post.

#93 6_6_6

6_6_6

• 590 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

The problem was being active for like what - 1.5 years ? Now it's the thing of the past, as any freshly produced velociraptor has upgraded firmware anyway. WDC just waited quietly. If occasionally someone will run into the problems again - seriosuly, who gives a damn. IMHO

I hear you.

My post was directed to gr1nch actually. He mentioned that they did not accept RMA's.

Wouldn't shoving their own firmware release into their eyes (substitute freely with some other organ!) get them accept the RMA?

Ridiculous. People waste so much of their time on something that was totally their fault.

#94 JohnQ

JohnQ

• 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

You bought them from Newegg? OEM I assume?
Were they all packed properly? .

OEM yes and when I ordered I made 12 separate orders, each for 1 drive each, so each drive was shipped in its own box and no drive was DOA (at least to begin with).

That may be the problem. I recently made several multi-OEM drive orders from Newegg (3-4-5 per order/package) and they were ALL shipped in portions of the foam OEM drive packaging - enough that all were adequately protected *then* surrounded by bubble wrap & the hateful peanuts.
I am equally nervous of ordering a single OEM drive from Newegg...granted it is now a year later from your post.

#95 Michal Soltys

Michal Soltys

• 29 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:32 AM

That may be the problem. I recently made several multi-OEM drive orders from Newegg (3-4-5 per order/package) and they were ALL shipped in portions of the foam OEM drive packaging - enough that all were adequately protected *then* surrounded by bubble wrap & the hateful peanuts.
I am equally nervous of ordering a single OEM drive from Newegg...granted it is now a year later from your post.

That wasn't the issue here - "good stuff" starts around page 3 of this thread.

#96 6_6_6

6_6_6

• 590 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:13 AM

Packaging has nothing to do with their faulty firmware issue in this post.

#97 pparker1500

pparker1500

• 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

It was posted here:
http://www.hardforum...hp?p=1034692197

Which points to here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?imzyjmumrjm

Which points to here:
http://download171.m...rjm/0404V02.exe

The MD5SUM matches the official firmware that someone sent me.

5135d00cf39dc1b89164c7027a685aed 0404V02.exe
5135d00cf39dc1b89164c7027a685aed 0404V02.exe *official

Guys,

Unfortunately, I too am experiencing the issues sited all through this thread and want to update the firmware on the WD1500BLFS. Have you or anyone else confirmed that the 0404V02.exe file actually works? Are there any instructions that tell me how this is supposed to work?

Please, any help or guidance you can offer would be very appreciated (I have many of these to fix!).

- Pat

#98 jpiszcz

jpiszcz

• 578 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

Guys,

Unfortunately, I too am experiencing the issues sited all through this thread and want to update the firmware on the WD1500BLFS. Have you or anyone else confirmed that the 0404V02.exe file actually works? Are there any instructions that tell me how this is supposed to work?

Please, any help or guidance you can offer would be very appreciated (I have many of these to fix!).

- Pat

Hi,

You boot from DOS and run the utility, make sure the drives are directly connected to the motherboard.

I will note though, the upgrade did not seem to help me.

I am curious btw can you print out / show all of your errors / explain are you using SW raid or HW raid, etc? - How does it impact you?

Justin.

Edited by jpiszcz, 29 January 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#99 pparker1500

pparker1500

• 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

Hi,

You boot from DOS and run the utility, make sure the drives are directly connected to the motherboard.

I will note though, the upgrade did not seem to help me.

I am curious btw can you print out / show all of your errors / explain are you using SW raid or HW raid, etc? - How does it impact you?

Justin.

Justin,

We are using Linux to start with, and are experiencing the R/O issue where our app is running, the drives flip into R/O mode after more than a month and the system locks up. All our systems are using Linux native RAID (no hardware raid) so we can see all the individual devices. Unfortunately, WD has put me in a bad spot as I really need to update these drives out in the field rather than RMA them in (all the systems have WD1500BLFS drives, anywhere from 1-4 per system, set up as RAID 1 or 10).

Using the Smartmontool mentioned earlier let me disable the TLER function, which everyone seems to feel is at the bottom of this issue (and do you know if there is an impact)?

Has anyone ever found a version of the 04.04V02 for Linux? ...all I've been able to dig up is the exe file.

- Thanks, Pat

#100 jpiszcz

jpiszcz

• 578 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

As far as I know the only way to flash these drives is to use the DOS boot disk, also note that about only half of my drives flashed, in addition someone else ran the flash and it hung up. I really think the Velociraptors simply do not work correctly in a parity-raid configuration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users