• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hiya, following on my thread from here I ask a related question

I'm now at 80% of rebuilding my RAID-5 array with 3x 1TB harddrives, I've calculated that the total time needed to rebuild the array will be 66 hours!
I find this way too much, currently I only have Vista x64 SP1 installed on the array, so only 25GB of data is used

I realize the controller may not see the NTFS filesystem, but operate at a lower level, but still, should it really take 66 hours to rebuild a RAID-5 array?

Are the hardware controllers with XOR engines this slow at rebuilding too?
I saw the new card on Adaptec's site, 5405 RAID, it looks very nice

Would that too take 66 hours for a rebuild? Oh, and the PC is dog slow during the rebuild, but I guess that is to be expected?

#2 imsabbel

imsabbel

• 331 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:13 PM

Hiya, following on my thread from here I ask a related question

I'm now at 80% of rebuilding my RAID-5 array with 3x 1TB harddrives, I've calculated that the total time needed to rebuild the array will be 66 hours!
I find this way too much, currently I only have Vista x64 SP1 installed on the array, so only 25GB of data is used

I realize the controller may not see the NTFS filesystem, but operate at a lower level, but still, should it really take 66 hours to rebuild a RAID-5 array?

Are the hardware controllers with XOR engines this slow at rebuilding too?
I saw the new card on Adaptec's site, 5405 RAID, it looks very nice

Would that too take 66 hours for a rebuild? Oh, and the PC is dog slow during the rebuild, but I guess that is to be expected?

No, it should not take 66h.
I had to do a rebuild with 3*750Gbytes, and it took about 7h in total.
Possible reason: If its your install drive, a low rebuild priority might have normal system accesses significantly slowing down the rebuilt.
Other, i dont know.

#3 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:22 PM

Rebuild priority could affect it, also if your system is still using the array that will also affect rebuild times...

#4 Fedor

Fedor

• 425 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:10 AM

Yeah definitely shouldn't take that long. You haven't actually said, which card are you using? A 4x750GB RAID5 build took me 2h40m-ish, same time as it takes to do a surface scan on each drive. Personally I'm guessing it's the background task priority - it's usually set quite low by default for rebuilds afaik (so as to minimise the system being slow).

#5 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:20 AM

Sorry, for the lack of details

I'm using a Asus Maximus Formula mainboard and utializing it's build in ICH9R RAID controller

The rebuild has completed now, but as I've detailed in my post I've had quite some problems with it, we will see how long it lasts this time...

Intel ICH9R RAID-5 3x 1TB harddrives problem, On Asus Maximus Formula mainboard

#6 Fedor

Fedor

• 425 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:18 AM

Sorry, for the lack of details

I'm using a Asus Maximus Formula mainboard and utializing it's build in ICH9R RAID controller

The rebuild has completed now, but as I've detailed in my post I've had quite some problems with it, we will see how long it lasts this time...

Intel ICH9R RAID-5 3x 1TB harddrives problem, On Asus Maximus Formula mainboard

Oh yes, the onboard does take ages I think. I tried making an array once and got fed up :P

#7 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

I was eying Adaptec's new card series, in particular the 5405

But with 256mb of memory I'm scared what will happen if the system hardlocks with the buffer full

My system is on a UPS, so no problem there, but if I buy the battery addon for the card, will that then take care of the data that is in the buffer even if the system hardlocks?

#8 Fedor

Fedor

• 425 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

I was eying Adaptec's new card series, in particular the 5405

But with 256mb of memory I'm scared what will happen if the system hardlocks with the buffer full

My system is on a UPS, so no problem there, but if I buy the battery addon for the card, will that then take care of the data that is in the buffer even if the system hardlocks?

I don't think you'll have a problem unless you lose power, so with that UPS I'm saying the BBU won't be of further assistance. If you can afford the 5405, then hell by all means. Areca also has new cards based on the same new Intel chip now by the way. Personally I could only afford a Dell PERC5i off ebay - but it does have the great ability to increase the onboard memory!

#9 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:16 PM

Well, I don't really need speed at all (henche the 3x 5400RPM harddrives)

What I need is stability, reliability and compatibility

I looked at 3ware first but they still do not have drivers for Windows Vista x64, and they list August as the release date, that will be almost 2 years after Vista was released 3ware!

But on another note Adaptec does not actually state if their drivers do support the 64-bit versions of Windows XP and Vista, anyone else knows?
I'd say I can put 300$ into a RAID card, as long as it works well!

Right now the Intel Matrix RAID pissed me off even further, I got a BSOD with bugcheck 0x8086 in Windows XP x64 when coping stuff to it, WinDbg told me the faulting driver was the Intel iaStor.sys!
Searching google there are so many threads on different forums it's kind of ridiculous!

http://www.google.co...ch?q=0x00008086

Anyway now that the system has booted it's doing some verify and repair of the array, I'm at 55% after 138 minutes so total time for the repair will be 4 hours, sigh!

So yea, some advice towards a decent RAID controller with as I said stability, reliability and compatibility as top priority would be nice
I want it to support all x64 versions of Windows, including Server 2008
I also want support for linux, open drivers would be best but I guess that is a big no-no
If so then Red Hat Enterprise Linux support atleast, and the recent distro too, not some 10 year old version

#10 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:22 PM

Sorry, guess no more time to edit my post, should add that I meant 3000SEK, or about 500$ for the RAID cards budget...

I only need 4 ports, tho that will require me to actually use the Intel Matrix thing anyway, since my Plextor DVD is SATA, and for any other additional SATA device I might need to quickly hook up to the system
Could of course just switch the thing down to ATA mode and use the Microsoft standard drivers

Edited by Per Hansson, 15 March 2008 - 01:23 PM.

#11 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:26 PM

Erm, increase edit time please?

...Aswell as my 150GB Raptor, it too needs something to connect too

#12 Fedor

Fedor

• 425 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

I'd save some cash an get say the 3405 or even lower model. The only thing not mentioned is Windows Server 2008:
http://adaptec-tic.a...p?p_faqid=15058
... and just go ahead and email Adaptec about that. My guess is that it will have built-in drivers.

#13 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

Fedor; actually that card would cost me just as much as the 5405 would in Sweden ;)

And from experience I prefer to get an as recent card as possibe when it comes to Adaptec, since they love dropping support for their products over time

#14 Fedor

Fedor

• 425 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:19 AM

Fedor; actually that card would cost me just as much as the 5405 would in Sweden ;)

And from experience I prefer to get an as recent card as possibe when it comes to Adaptec, since they love dropping support for their products over time

Then it's a no-brainer indeed :) I guess if I could afford it, I would go for something like that too, but that's because of performance - I can't help but feel like it's extreme overkill in your situation :P

#15 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:43 AM

Yea, but nothing wrong with a bit of future proofing ;)

Btw, will I be able to run the Raptor off that card too?
I mean the raptor alone and then the 3x1TB drives in the RAID5 array?

#16 Fedor

Fedor

• 425 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:49 AM

Yea, but nothing wrong with a bit of future proofing ;)

Btw, will I be able to run the Raptor off that card too?
I mean the raptor alone and then the 3x1TB drives in the RAID5 array?

I'd probably go for the 8 port model if future-proofing hehe (plus the 512MB cache is nice for RAID5/6 writes), but I don't know how much more expensive that is over there. The 4 port model clearly lists JBOD as a mode so yes you should be able to use your Raptor alongside the array (if you meant can you have more than one array on a card, you bet - even my Adaptec 2810sa could do that!).

#17 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:29 AM

Yea, the 512MB cache is nice

But I just noticed how messed up Adaptec site is, under the tech specs of the 5405 JBOD support is listed under "RAID levels", but not "key raid features"
For the 5805 JBOD is listed under the "Product description" but not at all under the techical specs/RAID Levels or key RAID features

Anyway, the 5805 is a bit more expensive, it's about $750 while the 5405 is only $500...
Maybe I would get better value for money from one of the other brands?
Oh, and I still haven't figured out if the card comes with support for WinXP x64 and Vista x64 :(

#18 Fedor

Fedor

• 425 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:43 AM

Yea, the 512MB cache is nice

But I just noticed how messed up Adaptec site is, under the tech specs of the 5405 JBOD support is listed under "RAID levels", but not "key raid features"
For the 5805 JBOD is listed under the "Product description" but not at all under the techical specs/RAID Levels or key RAID features

Anyway, the 5805 is a bit more expensive, it's about $750 while the 5405 is only $500...
Maybe I would get better value for money from one of the other brands?
Oh, and I still haven't figured out if the card comes with support for WinXP x64 and Vista x64 :(

Well I showed you even the 3405 is supported under them, you can be sure the 5405 is too :P Also, about the JBOD, I imagine it must be a mistake - the cards are so similar I think they both have to be with it or without. However, even when cards don't offer JBOD, the solution has been to make a single-drive RAID0 on the single drive you're trying to use, I've had to use that in the past. If you have questions like these though, you can ask adaptec easily right there on the website, they're quite happy to try and sell you something :P

As for better value for money, of course, after all you're going for a high-end RAID manufacturer. Just look around and see what's available to you, I'd say Areca/Adaptec/LSI are my brands of choice and the best cards, 3ware is close but seems to have more problems, and followed by those brands you have others like Promise and Highpoint. Especially of the last two, not all the cards are true hardware RAID, but some are.

#19 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:53 PM

The array failed again, see here for a description of that problem :/

http://forums.storag...mp;#entry249920

#20 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

Argh, edit time, when will I learn :(

Fedor; thnx again for your advice
The LSI controllers drivers looks very nice, signed drivers for Windows 2000 all the way up to Server 2008, 32bit and 64bit

Adaptec is a bit quicker to kill support, for their 3405 Win2k support has now been discoutinued, and their 5405 controller does not have any Win2K support at all (they have not gotten back to me about the 32 vs 64bit issue either)
Their 3405 controller does not yet have Server 2008 drivers, but the 5405 does

Areca had a very annoying layout in their download section but their drivers seemed good, they offer both SCSIPORT and STORPORT drivers
They have support from Win2K and up, (both 32 & 64bit drivers) the Server 2008 driver was in BETA though

LSI had by far the cheapest cards (but also a generation behind Adaptec and Areca)
Adaptec was in the middle price wise, and Areca was the most expensive, 800$ for the controller I'd like (8 port), or 1000$ for the controller that supports 4GB of cache memory (12 port)

These where the controllers I looked at;

LSI SAS8704ELP
LSI SAS8708ELP

Adaptec 3405
Adaptec 5405
Adaptec 5805

ARC-1680ix-8
ARC-1680ix-12

Edited by Per Hansson, 17 March 2008 - 01:03 PM.

#21 Fedor

Fedor

• 425 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:25 AM

Argh, edit time, when will I learn :(

Fedor; thnx again for your advice
The LSI controllers drivers looks very nice, signed drivers for Windows 2000 all the way up to Server 2008, 32bit and 64bit

Adaptec is a bit quicker to kill support, for their 3405 Win2k support has now been discoutinued, and their 5405 controller does not have any Win2K support at all (they have not gotten back to me about the 32 vs 64bit issue either)
Their 3405 controller does not yet have Server 2008 drivers, but the 5405 does

Areca had a very annoying layout in their download section but their drivers seemed good, they offer both SCSIPORT and STORPORT drivers
They have support from Win2K and up, (both 32 & 64bit drivers) the Server 2008 driver was in BETA though

LSI had by far the cheapest cards (but also a generation behind Adaptec and Areca)
Adaptec was in the middle price wise, and Areca was the most expensive, 800$ for the controller I'd like (8 port), or 1000$ for the controller that supports 4GB of cache memory (12 port)

These where the controllers I looked at;

LSI SAS8704ELP
LSI SAS8708ELP

Adaptec 3405
Adaptec 5405
Adaptec 5805

ARC-1680ix-8
ARC-1680ix-12

The 1680ix models are the new ones with the same crazy 1.2ghz chip as the Adaptec "5" series. The Adaptec 3405 uses an Intel 500Mhz IOP as far as I know (which is PLENTY for you uses). There are Arecas out there as well with both 500Mhz IOPs and 800Mhz IOPs, perhaps those wouldn't be such crazy prices. Those LSI models use PowerPC chips instead of Intel IOP chips, and truth be told I don't have a clue how they compare (I'm assuming they're a tad slower since the "Feature" line has the Intel ones) but I'm still 100% sure that for your uses they would be plenty powerful, save you some cash, and you say they provide all the OS support you'd like. So in your shoes I'd consider the LSI probably, maybe the 8 port for some expandability, but since you don't seem to be extremely limited on budget obviously you need to make your own conclusions on that front. The big perk that Areca cards have (esp the bigger ones) is the expandable memory, which although relevant for RAID5/6 performance especially is not that vital for you at all.

#22 prudon

prudon

• 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

i am looking at the areca 1680ix12 and the adaptec 51245 (16port ). I have to say that they are almost the samein features .
The only thing i can't find on the adaptec website if it has a standby mode ,areca calls it (( Support spin down drives when not in use (MAID) )).
Does anybody know if adaptec also has a simular feature.????????????

i am looking at the areca 1680ix12 and the adaptec 51245 (16port ). I have to say that they are almost the samein features .
The only thing i can't find on the adaptec website if it has a standby mode ,areca calls it (( Support spin down drives when not in use (MAID) )).

#23 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

If you want to buy a lightly used Areca ARC-1680, make me an offer... :P (but not for another couple weeks, the ARC-1680ix's aren't actually in the channels yet...)

#24 sasfan

sasfan

• 121 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

Whats the performance difference between the 1680 and the 1680IX in matter of IOPS? Due to the EUR/$ Ex-Rate, the 1680IX are quite interesting at the moment...
I want to upgrade from my good old ARC-1220 (1st release with 128MB) because i think it will be to slow for a bunch of these new WD3000GLFS and including the
option to use SAS 15k drives...

#25 Fedor

Fedor

• 425 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:43 AM

Best I can do is link you to this:
http://www.areca.com...0comparison.pdf

Obviously their own results should be treated with a pinch of salt but on the other hand even if the numbers are inflated then hopefully they are inflated for both cards, so comparing them relatively to each other is still meaningful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users