Change controller mode from AHCI to RAID

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:32 PM

As the title says, is there any way at all to change from AHCI controller mode to RAID mode without getting the Windows standard blue screen 0x7B Inaccessible Boot Device?

The reason I ask is because I set my Asus Maximus Formula to AHCI mode, despite knowing of Intel's recommendation to always choose RAID mode even if you are not gonna run RAID
I did this to kind of deter me from Running RAID-0, well, I've just decided to run RAID-5 instead :unsure:

I got XP x64 on a Raptor 150GB
And Vista x64 on a Samsung HD501LJ 500GB that will be swapped out for 3x Western Digital RE2-GP 1TB drives (making up the RAID-5 array)

And of course changing the controller mode will kill both my XP and Vista installs, since they both use AHCI drivers :mellow:

#2 PrimeMover

PrimeMover

• 60 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:25 PM

For some reason, I was thinking that AHCI and RAID modes were fine to change w/o a reinstall, you just couldn't go from legacy mode to either of those, or vice-versa.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure that you could use Acronis True Image with Universal Restore to do this...take an image and push it back on afterwards.

#3 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

No, that wont work

The driver used by Windows will still expect a controller in AHCI mode, so I will get 0x7B BSOD

I will hopefully get the drives tomorrow, then I will do some testing, worst case I'll just have to reinstall both operating systems :/

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

http://episteme.arst...31#506006604831
links to this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

which should work.

Not quite it, but this is a long-running thread on similar things...
http://episteme.arst.../1400925745/p/1

#5 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:51 PM

Thank you so much, I had read that before but was unable to find it again!

Now to just find a way for XP x64 to "like" my new RAID driver too...

But you have saved me allot of time already so I would be quite ok with having to reinstall XP x64 after this, further I need to give it a proper license because my 120 day trial is out soon and in that package is a license for it, but I'm not sure I can make use of that license without a clean reinstall of Windows

#6 PrimeMover

PrimeMover

• 60 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

No, that wont work

The driver used by Windows will still expect a controller in AHCI mode, so I will get 0x7B BSOD

I see you found another method, but I am quite confident that TrueImage with Universal Restore (Univ. Restore being the key) will do this as well. Universal Restore is designed for bare metal restoration of any system to any hardware. I've done precisely that type of swap with success.

#7 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

PrimeMover; for the software to work it will need to update Windows with RAID controller drivers that aren't even installed on my computer, it will need to download them from intel.com
I highly doubt it but I've been known to be wrong one time before in my life :)

Continuum; Thank you again for the time in finding that info for me, I tried the Microsoft KB article for Vista now, it did not work (I got the 0x7B BSOD)
I think it assumes we are switching from standard IDE mode into AHCI, not RAID

I do not think Windows Vista has built in drivers that supports the ICH9R RAID mode
I will try force updating the drivers to the RAID version and see what happenes, if it does not work I guess I'll spend the night reinstalling Windows :angry:

Edited by Per Hansson, 07 March 2008 - 01:13 PM.

#8 PrimeMover

PrimeMover

• 60 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:38 PM

PrimeMover; for the software to work it will need to update Windows with RAID controller drivers that aren't even installed on my computer, it will need to download them from intel.com
I highly doubt it but I've been known to be wrong one time before in my life :)

That's the beauty of Universal Restore. It essentially cleans the Hardware hive (at least, that's how I believe it works), allowing Windows to return to what you might call a "base-driver state". If Windows doesn't support the hardware natively, you are able to add additional drivers to the TrueImage image file. It's really a pretty amazing piece of software. I've moved machines from AHCI to RAID, RAID to legacy, and others using it. I've even used TrueImage Echo Server 9.5 w/Univ. Restore to move a physical Matrix RAID machine to a VirtualPC vm. :)

#9 Per Hansson

Per Hansson

• 227 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:25 PM

PrimeMover; I understand now, sorry for not researching

Tho for 80$ for the software plus 30$ for the addon I think I will just cut my losses and do a "proper" reinstall of Windows, I don't regard my time that much worth :D

But I will certainly keep the software in mind for any people that ask about this...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users