Photo

How can i tell if my motherboard is SATA1 or SATA2?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mikej3131

mikej3131

• 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

here is a link to my pc.
http://support.gatew...66/5766nv.shtml

the PC came with a western digital wd2000js SATA2 HD but a guy in another website forum said my motherboard is SATA1. here said he determined that by looking at the link to my pc?

can anyone help me out here

#2 freeborn

freeborn

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:20 PM

here is a link to my pc.
http://support.gatew...66/5766nv.shtml

the PC came with a western digital wd2000js SATA2 HD but a guy in another website forum said my motherboard is SATA1. here said he determined that by looking at the link to my pc?

can anyone help me out here

Following the link you provided, clicking components, then motherboard, then specifications link for the motherboard I see the motherboard has an ICH-6 SATA controller. In the Intel world you need and ICH-7 or later to support SATA 2.

Free
I drank what? -Socrates

#3 freeborn

freeborn

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:30 PM

Following the link you provided, clicking components, then motherboard, then specifications link for the motherboard I see the motherboard has an ICH-6 SATA controller. In the Intel world you need and ICH-7 or later to support SATA 2.

Free

I should expand a bit more. If what you are looking for is support for Native Command Queuing, you will need an ICH-6R or ICH-7R. The 6R supports queuing but only supports 1.5 Gbps SATA signaling. The ICH-7R supports queuing and 3.0 Gbps SATA signaling.

If all you want is 3.0 Gbps SATA signaling, the ICH-7 will meet your needs but it does not support queuing.

Free
I drank what? -Socrates

#4 mikej3131

mikej3131

• 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:01 PM

haha freeborn i wish i was more technical and understood this ich-7r stuff. im looking at that motherboard spcification site and i didnt see anything about ich-7 or ich-6. Where at on that page does it specify that?

And how come i have a SATA2 western digital HD that came with the computer if my motherboard is for SATA1?

#5 xSTLx

xSTLx

Storage Fanatic

• 1,850 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

Because SATA 1 and SATA 2 drives are completely forward and backward compatible. Also SATA 2 is currently a completely useless 'bragging' number because no current drive can bottleneck even a SATA 1 interface which makes the extra bandwidth of SATA 2 useless.
Sony VAIO SVS15127PXB - 2.2 ghz i7 - 1920x1080 HD 15.5" Display - 8gb DDR3 - Intel SSD 300gb - DVD RW - GeForce GT 640M LE 1gb GDDR - Windows 8 Pro

#6 mikej3131

mikej3131

• 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

hmm i see.
So i geuss the big question is, If i get the Western digital 400gb wd4000kd SATA1, it would be ok for me to use and would be a good buy?

And does anyone know of a better sata 400gb hard drive

Edited by mikej3131, 31 March 2006 - 04:10 PM.

#7 xSTLx

xSTLx

Storage Fanatic

• 1,850 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

Right it will work perfectly and no slower then the same drive in the SATA 2 flavor. This is how I would determine which interface type I buy, whatever is cheaper at the time. I prefer the Hitachi 7K400 over the WD but that’s just an opinion, all of the major manufacturer drives are comparable in any generation, the best thing to do would perhaps be just go with the best deal unless you are super concerned about a tad (a few % points) of performance increase. What are you going to use it for?

Edited by xSTLx, 31 March 2006 - 04:37 PM.

Sony VAIO SVS15127PXB - 2.2 ghz i7 - 1920x1080 HD 15.5" Display - 8gb DDR3 - Intel SSD 300gb - DVD RW - GeForce GT 640M LE 1gb GDDR - Windows 8 Pro

#8 mikej3131

mikej3131

• 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

im going to use it for storing movies etc. I dont care for performance i just dont wanna lose any of my precious pictures,videos, data. i heard raid is the best option for that but i dont know if my PC is raid capable and i wouldnt even know where to begin to set that up.

Could you tell if my pc is raid capable from that link i posted of my computer specs?

And considering ill need some backup. Any suggestions on the most reliable EXTERNAL HD 300gigs or over?

Edited by mikej3131, 31 March 2006 - 05:05 PM.

#9 xSTLx

xSTLx

Storage Fanatic

• 1,850 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

You do not need raid unless you raid for backup. I would suggest an external drive and just use a program like ghost to backup with a high compression; you could back up your drive to a smaller drive. Since that drive is storage just get the cheapest deal you can find performance will not matter.

#10 mikej3131

mikej3131

• 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:57 PM

You do not need raid unless you raid for backup.

yeah thats what i meant. raid is the best for keeping your data safe because it backs it up internally

I would suggest an external drive and just use a program like ghost to backup with a high compression;

Yeah i think i am getting a big external drive to back up everything. What does ghost do, and high compression?

Since that drive is storage just get the cheapest deal you can find performance will not matter.

Yeah performance doesnt matter to me but reliability is my number one priority so buying thecheapest one wouldnt be a safebet would it?

#11 xSTLx

xSTLx

Storage Fanatic

• 1,850 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

Sure it would because all of the current generation drives are going to be similar in reliability; on any given day one may be $20 cheaper then the rest due to a rebate etc. so the cheapest will be fine.

Norton Ghost is a program that has the ability to back up your data, using the high compression option within the Ghost program will allow you to backup your data in less space then it originally takes up. Ghost makes an entire copy of your drive and stores it in a group of files.

#12 mikej3131

mikej3131

• 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

Norton Ghost is a program that has the ability to back up your data, using the high compression option within the Ghost program will allow you to backup your data in less space then it originally takes up. Ghost makes an entire copy of your drive and stores it in a group of files.

so norton ghost is sort of like a rencoder for video files? sorry im very stupid and not technical at all. can you explain in non technical terms?

Edited by mikej3131, 31 March 2006 - 08:11 PM.

#13 Spod

Spod

Guru > me > newbie

• Patron
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:36 AM

Ghost takes an image of all the data on your hard drive, and compresses it. It doesn't care what the file type is, but already compressed files like most video file formats won't compress as much. If you're only storing video files, expect to need a similar capacity disk for backup.

Actually, I'd just go with a file synchronisation tool to backup your video files. You'd only have to copy across the changes (instead of all the data on the drive) each time you backed up.
If I'm wrong, please tell me why. I'm trying to help, but I'm here to learn, too.
See my profile for PC specs. I do not practise what I preach.

#14 mikej3131

mikej3131

• 51 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:43 PM

yeah im going to get external hard drives that has the same amount of space as my internal ones so i dont need to compress.

Actually that was gonna be my next forum topic haha. The thing about what is the best way to backlup to my external HD instead of deletting evrerything off and putting everything back on with the new data, every week.

So what does file synchronization do? does it just add the new data on the external HD everytime i go to back it up?

#15 Spod

Spod

Guru > me > newbie

• Patron
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:44 PM

Basically, yeah. There was a thread here recently about file copy utilities - search for Robocopy, or have a quick browse through the last coupls of pages of threads, it's in there somewhere.
If I'm wrong, please tell me why. I'm trying to help, but I'm here to learn, too.
See my profile for PC specs. I do not practise what I preach.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users