Photo

Safe to delete Local Settings/Temp folder?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cavicchi

Cavicchi

• 843 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:26 PM

I changed the Local Settings folder under my name so it's not hidden. Does anyone know if it's safe to delete the entries in the Documents and Settings/Local Settings/temp folder?

#2 elconejito

elconejito

• 47 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:41 PM

there shouldn't be anything in a temp folder that's important unless you put it there. I emphasize the word "shouldn't"...

#3 bennt

bennt

• 234 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:46 PM

I changed the Local Settings folder under my name so it's not hidden. Does anyone know if it's safe to delete the entries in the Documents and Settings/Local Settings/temp folder?

It's my standard practice to delete the contents of that folder during system cleanup/tuneup, and I've never had a problem. Sometimes there will be stuff in there that can't be deleted cause it's currently in use.

#4 Cavicchi

Cavicchi

• 843 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:56 PM

It's my standard practice to delete the contents of that folder during system cleanup/tuneup, and I've never had a problem. Sometimes there will be stuff in there that can't be deleted cause it's currently in use.

Do you use a utilty for your cleanup/tuneup?

#5 Cavicchi

Cavicchi

• 843 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:22 PM

I forgot to ask one other question. Can I safely delete the entries in Windows/temp folder?

#6 Quaiboy

Quaiboy

• 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:07 AM

I forgot to ask one other question. Can I safely delete the entries in Windows/temp folder?

That would also be a yes, as long as something important hasn't been put in there by mistake. You may wish to transfer the files in that folder to a temp location, reboot and make sure nothing is wrong before deleting. Standard disclaimers apply.

-Evan

#7 elconejito

elconejito

• 47 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:14 AM

i use cleanup to be found here: http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

Never had a problem with it. If there is a better option out there, I'm all for it. I used to manually dig thru my temp folders and delete stuff. Now i just do it every once in a while when I'm really bored...

Edited by elconejito, 20 January 2006 - 12:15 AM.

#8 HMTK

HMTK

• 1,044 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:14 PM

My first choice of tool is a keyboard.
Giga-Byte GA-M61P-S3, Radeon HD 2400, Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 4 x 2 GB DDR 2 667, LiteOn DVD Rewriter, Toshiba DVD drive, Maxtor Diamondmax 17 160 GB SATA, WD4000AAKS 400 GB SATA, Vista Ultimate 32 (-> 64 bit Any Time Soon Now)

#9 threevok

threevok

• 66 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

The keyboard works for me as well. I have 2 folders C:/Temp and C:/Temp1.

I then alternate the directory for temp files in environmental variables between the 2 folders and delete all the files in whichever folder was not specified before the last reboot.

The deleted file are conveniently located in the recycle bin should problems arise.

#10 fhblee

fhblee

• 135 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:54 AM

Yes, I regularly delete my temp folders and re-create them (easier than highlighting all the files). But in order to be able to delete everything, you must be logged on as a different user. Otherwise, Windows will report that the files are in use.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users